My name is Michael and I am going to become a filmmaker.

Hello, my name is Michael Ren and I am going to become a filmmaker.

I've been to the website a number of times for some amazing tips on filmmaking and I can't really show how much I appreciate this forum. So I'm a senior in high school now and I have become determined to get into the film industry. It's amazing, everyday my passion and respect for movies grow. As I watch more and more movies, it's opened up my eyes to how powerful this form of art is. If I had to form an opinion on films, I'd say they are the most powerful form of communication that everyone can undertake. I'm very glad that I finally found something I enjoyed doing. It's weird reflecting back on my four years in high school and finally realizing what I wanted to do with my life. In my case, it's sometimes difficult. Why? because I am Chinese and I have Asian parents. Stereotype all you want because it's mostly true.:lol: I say mostly because there is a MAJOR exception. My dad. What I've come to realize is that my dad has been the most amazing figure in supporting me, no matter how strict he acts and how stressed out he is at what I've accomplished or failed to accomplish. No matter what happened, he supported me and that's something I can never forget. The first day I told him I wanted to become a filmmaker, he showed some signs of confusion. I remember the first time I told him about my dream. It was such an awkward conversation.

Me: (excited, but very nervous) Hey dad! I've figured out what my purpose in life is!
Dad: (tired and confused) what.
Me: (showing great passion) I want to make movies!
Dad: right...

So yea he wasn't convince at first but I was convinced that this was my true calling and as such I showed him the films we made in school for our art department and recent short film that I made myself. My first film was called "The wake-up dream" and it really struck him in awe. This was the beginning of my future and he finally believed in me. Over the summer he worked so hard getting me interviews and meetings with all the big film schools. He was there every step of the way as I applied to each school, seven schools in total. I remember the long nights that he kept awake helping me edit my essays and working on my portfolio. Even though he had work the next day, it never bothered him. My dad has been such a influential figure in my life and I know I'll never be able to repay him for all this.

The story of my mom is interesting, she is a textile designer, err artist, and a typical Asian mother. In a sense she was a hypocrite of herself. She did not want me to go into film, she wanted me to become a lawyer or a doctor. I laughed at the idea. I can however understand her reasoning. As an artist herself she doesn't get paid a boatload and as such there's aways financial arguments between my parents. I guess in her mind she doesn't want me to be fighting over money one day. She cares for me enough to worry about my future in a career field that's very unstable and I do appreciate her a lot for this. I just wish she'd stop telling me that I'm wasting away my life! I need to prove to her that I am dead serious about film.

So now I'm done with all my applications and it's time to work on scholarships. I recently found a scholarship that I thought "hey! I could definitely do this!" It's a video essay scholarship on Brickfish.com and of course I immediately entered into it. The essay topic is "why you deserve $1,000 for scholarship"and I knew exactly what to say. This is my opportunity to seal the deal with my future. If I win, I can show my appreciation to my dad's labor and show my mom that I am serious about my future. It's like a win-win situation for everyone!

At this point I could definitely use your help! To be eligible to win the scholarship your video has to be in the top 100 and my video is getting there slowly! I've already gotten all the support of my friends, teachers, and local filmmakers and it would be awesome if you guys showed some support for a fellow "future" filmmaker.

Just click on the link below to view my video entry and then be sure to click on the "vote for" button as a guest. It should be pretty self explanatory. so please, if you have just a minute today, click the link, and click vote for video and if you have the extra 30 seconds leave a comment and give it a rating! Thanks for your support and also you can vote again EVERYDAY so yea the more votes the merrier!

http://www.brickfish.com/Pages/VideosSeries/VideoView.aspx?vid=4524_34964538&pid=468919&scid=220&
click ^ :yes:

So to wrap things up I just want to say hello to you guys and I wish everyone the best of luck in their future. I really look forward to working in the film industry on day. Thanks for all your support!

Michael Ren

Back