• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My Microbudget Feature Film

A while back I was crazy enough to attempt to write, produce, direct, shoot and edit a feature film. It was shot in 7 days for £700, but took FOREVER to make it work in the edit.

It's now available to view for free in HD on YouTube. It's a light hearted Rom Com entitled 'The Dinner Date', so if you're in the mood for some laughs, have a view. Thanks! - Win

http://bit.ly/12GW6zP

www.thedinnerdatemovie.com

EDIT: I'm a moron you weren't looking for suggestions

First off, bravo!! I only watched the first twenty minutes so far but the animation in the title sequence is worth that alone. Actor's seem very good for a low budget situation. Looks well shot.

Just on what I saw so far, my main comment would be regarding the comedic timing. It felt rushed to me and in the beginning, where I am trying to get a feel for the characters, it felt like a run away freight train. Not saying hit them over the head with it, but a half a beat or beat here and there might help. Looks like you have it covered well so a reaction shot here and there wouldn't hurt. Again, not talking about hanging on them, just a little breath here and there.

Also, not sure the music that is there now is doing you any favors. Maybe try a source track for the chardonnay scene, might make it feel organic and give some irony with the right track.

May want to look into trying to make it look a little more "film like" on your final color pass. Lighting is a little flat, so it looks very much like video.

I hear a little audio fluctuation during the chardonnay scene, which sounds like ADR, so you may want to give that another pass.

A small nit pic would be to reframe the shot of the blonde girl during the tryptic phone call. She's a little low in the frame and is throwing of sequence a bit.

I'll try to watch more later, but good job and congratulations. I know what a bear it is to get it done.

Last edited:
All very good points, and I think I agree with most of them. It's funny, I was always concerned that the first scene is too slow, so in a way it's funny you described it as 'a runaway freight train'.

Basically, because I shot it in 7 days, and I was cameraman/DOP/key grip/director, etc, I was forced to film it at a 'runaway freight train' pace. It takes a lot of time to get the lighting just right, super clean dialogue, perfect camera compositions, and time was a luxury I didn't have.

I did all I could to improve it in post, and feel it didn't turn out too shabby considering the above factors. And my actors, bless them, really didn't have any rehearsals, we 'shot the rehearsal' so to speak.

On my next film, I want a BUDGET, so I can take the TIME needed to craft my film. But in the meantime, I can take everything I've learned about microbudget filmmaking, and apply it to my next project. What do they say, 'experience' is just another way of saying 'learning from past mistakes'. ;0)

Win

Nice work! I rarely watch longer stuff like this online, so the fact that I watched it all the way through is saying something. Very impressive for such a short production schedule. I thought the actors did really well overall.

The only thing that bothered me a little was that the voices sound a little too present in a lot of the indoor stuff - was that ADR? They just don't seem to reflect the environment the actors are in.

Nice film, I really liked it. As a Canadian who grew up on BBC programs on the CBC, I've always had an affinity for British accents and sensibilities.

I loved the clearly defined characters, and their continuity throughout. The dialogue was a high point (very well done).

Congratulations.

--
Thomas

Thank you each one for taking the time to watch my film, and for the nice comments.

The film was shot on a Canon A1- don't even know if they sell that model anymore. Basically, it was one of the first hi def (consumer) camcorders to shoot 24p. I did a lot of treatment in post to try and make it look more cinematic.

Yes, unfortunately we did have to do a lot of ADR in the dinner scenes and in other places. We had an echo problem that of course can't be fixed in post.

I'll let my actors know you guys enjoyed their performances.

Thanks again
Win

Really impressive. Shows what can be done if you think out side of the box. Congrats.

The image looks good, too. Earlier comments about the look is nonsense. You've already captured the audience and more time spent working for the perfect and forever elusive "film look" would be a waste of time.

Minor quibble (you can safely ignore this because most filmmakers never reach the level you have achieved): I think the opening credits ran a bit too long -- maybe 30 seconds lopped off would do the trick -- sometimes you have to cut your babies. Also, your name gets repeated quite a bit in the credits -- a tattletale newbie indicator. Still, this is a GREAT job of feature film making -- regardless of the budget!

Good luck.

Thanks for your comments and nice words and for watching The Dinner Date.

My film is definitely a done deal as far as it being finished, but all advice will be taken on board for my next film.

Cheers
Win

A while back I was crazy enough to attempt to write, produce, direct, shoot and edit a feature film. It was shot in 7 days for £700, but took FOREVER to make it work in the edit.

It's now available to view for free in HD on YouTube. It's a light hearted Rom Com entitled 'The Dinner Date', so if you're in the mood for some laughs, have a view. Thanks! - Win

http://bit.ly/12GW6zP

www.thedinnerdatemovie.com

Delightful British humor and cinematography.

What camera and lenses did you use?

EDIT: I'm a moron you weren't looking for suggestions

First off, bravo!! I only watched the first twenty minutes so far but the animation in the title sequence is worth that alone. Actor's seem very good for a low budget situation. Looks well shot.

Just on what I saw so far, my main comment would be regarding the comedic timing. It felt rushed to me and in the beginning, where I am trying to get a feel for the characters, it felt like a run away freight train. Not saying hit them over the head with it, but a half a beat or beat here and there might help. Looks like you have it covered well so a reaction shot here and there wouldn't hurt. Again, not talking about hanging on them, just a little breath here and there.

Also, not sure the music that is there now is doing you any favors. Maybe try a source track for the chardonnay scene, might make it feel organic and give some irony with the right track.

May want to look into trying to make it look a little more "film like" on your final color pass. Lighting is a little flat, so it looks very much like video.

I hear a little audio fluctuation during the chardonnay scene, which sounds like ADR, so you may want to give that another pass.

A small nit pic would be to reframe the shot of the blonde girl during the tryptic phone call. She's a little low in the frame and is throwing of sequence a bit.

I'll try to watch more later, but good job and congratulations. I know what a bear it is to get it done.

I disagree with every point made above and wonder if the reasoning behind all the points is the assumption that anything previewed here needs to be critiqued.

The comedic timing was as spot on as timing gets. Likewise, everything else is completely professional and seriously excellent.

This short feature is broadcast quality in every way and would have a profitable run on any network were it purchased and turned into a series.

Really impressive. Shows what can be done if you think out side of the box. Congrats.

The image looks good, too. Earlier comments about the look is nonsense. You've already captured the audience and more time spent working for the perfect and forever elusive "film look" would be a waste of time.

Minor quibble (you can safely ignore this because most filmmakers never reach the level you have achieved): I think the opening credits ran a bit too long -- maybe 30 seconds lopped off would do the trick -- sometimes you have to cut your babies. Also, your name gets repeated quite a bit in the credits -- a tattletale newbie indicator. Still, this is a GREAT job of feature film making -- regardless of the budget!

Good luck.

Great critique, and it touches on the one thing I had a problem with -- opening credits almost killed it for me -- way too long.

I guess I'll join the dogpile. Opening credits look like they're from a major studio, they're awesome, but yeah, maybe too long?
Looks like great work, I only watched a few minutes though cuz it's fucking late!

Thanks Gary and Brian for the really nice comments, and for watching my film. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

I think because I make a living as a graphic designer, and because my film was a bit on the short side, I made the opening sequence too long! All part of the learning curve!

Win

Back