My media is 'offline', and will not come back on.

For some reason every time I open the movie in Premiere Pro, one of the shots says 'media offline', and asks me where it is. I then told the program where it was, but it still would not come on. I then re-imported and re-edited the cut back in. I closed it for the day, and have no re-opened it, but it's the same thing and will not locate the media, even though I told it where it is. It says it did after I tell it, but the media is still offline again. I haven't changed the name of the file this whole time, so why does it refuse to accept it?

harmonica44, few years ago i had the same issue with Premiere, after long headache and fails with perferences changing, i reinstalled the software and it helped.

So the suggestion to you will be - firstly try to update your software, if there is no updates - reinstall and let us know about situation.

Best wishes!
Mike

Whenever you import new media into Premiere - the program has to conform it. Notice that when you import a video or an audio file, a small progression bar appears on the lower-right of the screen.

Some media files won't show up until they have been conformed.

If premiere is unable to conform a file, it will show a RED-X or YELLOW EXCLAMATION MARK on the lower right corner. Click it and read the error.

What can you do about it?
Well, that depends; This can happen due to a couple of reasons I know of:
1) The media you are trying to import is corrupt or encoded in a messy way.
2) Your cache or scratch disk is full (This is where Premiere creates all conformed files)
3) Your PC/MAC is having a tough time dealing with the specific media file.

I'd a advise you to try this:
1) Go to Edit > Preferences > Media
2) Under "Media Cache Database" click CLEAN
3) Now got to the specified Cache Folder in Windows/iOS and delete its contents
4) Once it's complete, notice that your project begins to generate new peak files (Conform).
5) Let it finish, it will take some time.

If this doesn't work, there are a few more things to try.
Good luck

Back