My indietalk project

Thanks. It's tougher than I thought it would be to manage everything at once. It would be a huge help to even have a script supervisor. maybe after people see how good this film is i'll get more crew for next time. :D

That's why it's good to stay organized, and have people that are good at their craft helping you.

That's why it's good to stay organized, and have people that are good at their craft helping you.

I had planned for 3 extra crew to show up, but instead I got zero :lol:
Ended up having to man the boom pole myself, all while trying to keep track of what position each characters sunglasses are supposed to be at the start of each take, if my actor is still wet enough to have just gotten out of the pool, if we are behind schedule, how much time we need to make up and how to do it, etc. My hands were full and I couldn't help when the actors forgot their lines. I couldn't even hold a script or a shooting schedule I had to keep putting everything down and picking it up.

I should have been standing by a monitor not manning audio, but this is what happens when you're not an established director... No words will make people take you seriously, they have to see for themselves. Hopefully after that happens I can get committed people on board

I think your last day of shooting is coming up (25th). Good luck!

Hope the injured actor does not delay things.

Thanks!

Yes it all goes down tomorrow, one way or another!!
I'm hoping the injured actor still shows up, or some footage might end up being awkward. But hell this thing is probably going on youtube anyway

Today marks the final day of production. It's been a hell of a ride, and I'm sad to see it end. At the same time I'm grateful for all the experience and knowledge I've gained, and I'm eager to write a second draft of my crime thriller!

Foremost I've learned that time is gold.. I wish I had the money to hire professionals and spend as many days as I needed to get a scene!! I would totally pull a stanley kubrick :lol:

What a mess that was.. 4 hour scheduled shoot, my main actor showed up nearly 3 hours late :( We hardly did any filming.

Friend of a friend came on board for crew, he has more knowledge and experience in the technical areas, but he was overstepping his bounds and telling the actors how to act. Maybe I should have put up more of a fight but I just wanted us to get what footage we could in the time we had, everything was so tight. Anyway without the main actor there it wasn't vital footage anyway. i suppose i did learn a lesson about creative control!

Last edited:
Oh no.. supporting lady has a family emergency and is going all the way to cali for a couple of weeks :(

Technically I could finish without her at this point, but the quality will suffer some

Your luck seems to be changing :lol:

Good luck! Hopefully you'll get this situation sorted out.

This thing was supposed to be a 1 day shoot :(
If I didn't have actors standing me up and showing up 3 hours late it would have been. Yes it is getting frustrating now!!

I've got a couple of days to try finding a replacement for her.. I don't think I know anyone that fits the bill though

This thing was supposed to be a 1 day shoot :(
If I didn't have actors standing me up and showing up 3 hours late it would have been. Yes it is getting frustrating now!!

I've got a couple of days to try finding a replacement for her.. I don't think I know anyone that fits the bill though

Murphy's Law is unavoidable.

How much have you shot?

I've been wondering, if you paid these people even a tiny, token amount, in addition to the food and booze, maybe they'd take the project a little more seriously?

I've been wondering, if you paid these people even a tiny, token amount, in addition to the food and booze, maybe they'd take the project a little more seriously?

No. I don't think so.
My leading lady was on top of everything, the most reliable person in the whole cast. When Billy didn't show up it's because his grandparents wouldn't let him use his car. When James didn't show up it's because he was working for 19 hours straight on a feature film before he could make his way over to our set. And then when Anna didn't show up, it's because she had a death in the family. I don't think paying my actors and actresses would have made a bit of difference. At one point when Billy couldn't show up I offered to pay him $20/hr if he came and I still couldn't get him to show up. It wasn't his choice and it was out of his control.

Last edited:
After a combined total of 23 hours on set, production is finally complete.
Time spent waiting on actors: 7 Hours
Time spent filming: 16 hours

The story of yesterday.. supporting lady had a death in the family and we had to replace her. Everyone shows up except for our leading man and he's not answering his phone. My DP is burned out on this project, the 4th day of what should have been a 2 day shoot. He's had to take time off work, away from family, etc and without James we have no end in sight. The DP says he is not coming back another day, and I don't blame him. In fact I empathize.

I say fine, I will play James. Screw this lets get it done.
I start pulling off the pool cover because the other actor is supposed to be wet in our first scene. I accidentally fall into the pool while I'm rushing and walking backwards... Thank god I didn't have my cell in my pocket, and my splash narrowly missed the DPs laptop too. Now I'm soaked and supposed to do a scene, so I run inside and quickly dry off.

Finally we start the scene, I didn't know I had it in me but I nailed it so hard the other guy kept thinking I was actually mad at him lol. The whole crew was surprised and kept telling me how believable it was. I'm not just patting myself on the back here, it becomes relevant in the next paragraph

Now we finally get ahold of James.. He was wasted the night before and says he is on his way, but it's a long drive.. maybe 90 minutes. Three hours later he shows up. Ugh. And then the other actor kept talking about how awesome I was when I played as James instead. Oh what a mess, I was really worried they were going to undermine his confidence and I kept trying to say they were just being nice, only to be met by further insistence of my greatness.. We had some of the worst acting out of him in the next hour but maybe he was just hung over. He did better later in the day.

Well shit, if I'm not a terrible actor maybe I'll actually cast myself in a role next time. If only for the reason that I can count on MYSELF to show up and that was a huge issue for Friend Zoned's production.

One last little bit.. the replacement supporting girl. She was doing okay. I'm trying to get her to play the part like she's on drugs, but she doesn't do drugs and it wasn't really selling. Then she suggests trying it like she was drunk. Holy cow it's like she turned into a professional actress with a snap of her fingers. I was so proud of her and excited that I had to run over and give her a hug lol.

What a relief to finally be done with the production phase of the project. No more sitting around waiting for actors :)

Sounds like you're getting an idea of what it's like to make a film! :D

I had a rough shoot over the weekend. I feel your pain! :lol:

That's what I told my DP. We got the full experience! lol
Didn't come easy and we really had to earn it.

Now I guess it's time to think about marketing. I could accept those 215 pending friend requests i have on facebook :P

Back