• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My first ultra low.

Hi there I joined about three months ago, at the time, I was looking to do my first ultra low budget movie.

I raised a couple of dollars independently and made my little passion project, a sort of dark take on Romeo and Juliet set in LA -

Firstly I did a camera test with the little Sony camera, to make sure I wasn't making a huge mistake, I chose one of my favorite comic book characters whom I thought had been maligned and made a two minute trailer for a fake movie.
(I paid for this by selling a motorcycle)
https://vimeo.com/60594348
The camera worked out great - we were able to use 1960's Zeiss still camera lens' which was something we wanted to do - we had a reflector board and a lamp, and one AC, and I felt it was the right choice to shoot my "labor of love" feature on - however, my experience with FilmLA and the permit office was overwhelmingly negative, and they ended up taking more of my money than the trailer itself cost.

So, the camera was good, LA was bad, I looked into shooting on friends property, but it felt overwhelmingly like it would look small produced this way - maybe it was psychological, but it was enough for me.

I found out about Santa Ana through a post I put on Facebook looking for untapped locations.
The permit for the whole shoot was $45 and the locations were roughly 10% of the cost of similar ones in LA.
We stole a shot on the sidewalk, and a cop car drove past, so I hustled everyone back inside, as we were not permitted for the street.
Unknown to us the cop car circled around the block and settled behind us, when he approached he simply asked if we wanted him to hold traffic for us - wow!
After LA, I cannot recommend the place enough.
My line producer there was Joshua Lang - pm me and I will pass on his info. He was awesome.

We shot using the SAG new media contract, and worked very hard on the casting - I budgeted for favored nations, everyone cast crew, producers, gets $100 a day expenses and works for free - we had no complaints, the savings on permits allowed us to get motel rooms for the crew - the hour drive worried me, I don't want people falling asleep.

Anyway - we're still cutting, but here is the promo reel - it will be feature length.
http://vimeo.com/59627038

I'd love to hear feedback.

Thank you, for the valuable insight into the world of ultra low, there are some great threads here, and although I haven't contributed much, I have enjoyed reading and looking at your work.

Rumble on and keep making movies!

JJ

That Wonder Woman trailer was awesome! Beats the hell out of that cancelled pilot episode for new WW from 2011 :cool:

Cool-lookin' locations in your b/w film. Trailer itself needs some work, though.

Insurance

Just curious, how much did you have to budget for the insurance? Some permits and locations require an insurance certificate is why I am asking. Some places require some hefty insurance coverage which is difficult for us indies. Especially if it has to cover issues with clearances later.

$1 million liability and workman's compensation for the trailer, through a friends production company under their rider.
I paid $100 per day for the liability and $50 a day for the workman's comp - ask around companies like this are not difficult to find.
We had an incident on another show where ambulances were called, x-rays and some other issues, that came to about $20K - the insurance took care of it all thank God - BTW the actor was fine and the doctor pretty much said he imagined his injury, lol.

On the feature (The Beautiful Ones) I bought workman's comp from state farm and saved about $150 bucks over the shoot, I was covered for three months, which was rehearsal's returns and additional photography.

I wouldn't shoot without insurance, besides it's required to rent gear or have a SAG contract.
I have no problem with it at all.

JJ

This is excellent. This is why I love indie filmmaking because I know there is talent out there that doesn't need (but would flourish with) a lot of money to make something good. Mise en scene is very apparent in this promo and I love it.

I watched the whole thing which is a quite a feat for just a no dialogue trailer but bravo, a few scenes really caught my attention. Can't wait to see the full thing, I'll be on the lookout for it.

Thanks guys - I found my editorial system and the film is getting cut for real now, lol.

The WW teaser has been an incredible experience, really a career booster.

Pit.

wow, for being ultra low budget it looks really nice, can I ask how you define ultra low budget? (or what the actual budget was?)

Hi sorry busy, busy - Wonder Woman was $3500 or so, the Beautiful Ones is a little more vague, but about $150K mas or menus.

Thank you - I realize there are many wonderful films here that cost a lot less, I am not that talented, or rather, i can call in favors for a day or two, then my friends come up with reasons to be elsewhere, so I had to work out a way to pay something even if it was just a per diem.

Blessings,

Pit.

Back