My first short: the good, the bad and the ugly

Ok so I'm half way through shooting my first short, and already I've picked out what's worked and what hasn't. Has anyone else been in a similar place during your very first short?

What went well:

-the cast. Although the acting ability of some wernt great, they all understood my instructions and did their part brilliantly.
-the location. My film is already looking how I imagined, with the backdrop of the scenes.
-the screenplay. Personally I feel that the screenplay I created was good for a first short and allowed me to explore many different aspects of directing and shooting such as the camera angles used.

What didn't go so well:

-sound. In my own ignorance I completely forgot to take into account the fact that when the character is travelling through the woods, my own footsteps would be heard squelching in the mud (I've already looked up how to make a DIY boom pole for my next short).
-poor handheld camera work. Although I tried to explore a variety of camera angles, I probably have the most unsteady hand of anyone I know so working the camera wasn't a good idea.
-choreography. Although I feel that the screenplay itself is good for a first short, I don't think that my ability to choreograph the fight scene was that great. I may have to bring in help in the future.

Basically these are the main things I picked out with my film, as feedback and criticism on my own work from myself is important to me. Like I said: am I alone in finding these issues? Or are they common mistakes and achievements for a first short?

Ok so I'm half way through shooting my first short, and already I've picked out what's worked and what hasn't. Has anyone else been in a similar place during your very first short?

What went well:

-the cast. Although the acting ability of some wernt great, they all understood my instructions and did their part brilliantly.
-the location. My film is already looking how I imagined, with the backdrop of the scenes.
-the screenplay. Personally I feel that the screenplay I created was good for a first short and allowed me to explore many different aspects of directing and shooting such as the camera angles used.

What didn't go so well:

-sound. In my own ignorance I completely forgot to take into account the fact that when the character is travelling through the woods, my own footsteps would be heard squelching in the mud (I've already looked up how to make a DIY boom pole for my next short).
-poor handheld camera work. Although I tried to explore a variety of camera angles, I probably have the most unsteady hand of anyone I know so working the camera wasn't a good idea.
-choreography. Although I feel that the screenplay itself is good for a first short, I don't think that my ability to choreograph the fight scene was that great. I may have to bring in help in the future.

Basically these are the main things I picked out with my film, as feedback and criticism on my own work from myself is important to me. Like I said: am I alone in finding these issues? Or are they common mistakes and achievements for a first short?

That sounds pretty similar. You'll find more things to keep in mind when you start editing also, particularly about continuity.
I learn something new about sound every shoot. But all of it gets better with practise and more preparation.
I wasn't as happy with the lighting in much of my first short either, that also is a continual learning game.

CraigL

Back