My first Film Poster (Critique please?)

This is my first attempt at a film poster for the film I'm currently working on. I plan to make another after I do a photo shoot with some of the actors. What do you think about it? Anything I could do better?

Thanks!

540662_333191336750974_313717402031701_793385_1124300213_n.jpg

What? No llamas? Okay.

Hmm... The items in the image combined with the title & font communicate insufficient information as to the more precise nature of a general probable horror genre film.

It's the fairest of creepy = lame.
Too subtle.
This looks like a corner of my great aunt's home, only cleaner, and less cluttered.

If this is a genuine horror flik then it's competing against the likes of:
http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...8.16.0.2.2.0.67.777.16.16.0...0.0.6M9zObe7koU

This poster is a welcome departure from the obligatory "black" almost all horror film posters and DVD covers display.
There just needs to be some element of menace introduced to the image or subsequent image.

I think you might be trying too hard. If you check out the Oscar winning movies below, you'll see they are actually very simple images.
Try being less complex I would say. You don't have to fill the entire poster with info.
hope that makes sense.

kings-speech-poster-2.jpg

41ggf8lMWPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

10864783_det.jpg

I think your name is on the poster too many times.

If the actual name of your prodCo is "Dennis Mikula Films" do
you really need "Dennis Mikula Presents"? Why not "Dennis
Mikula Films Presents"? Personally I would leave both off a
poster. A poster isn't an ego boost for you, it's to interest
people in seeing the movie.

You have four logos prominently placed above the title. I suspect
you do not have a licensing agreement that demands that. If you
feel it's essential to use those logos you should place them at the
bottom - very small. If you feel those logos makes your poster or
production look more professional I suggest you look at the poster
(not DVD cover - the poster) of some more movies. If this is your
DVD cover, you should look at some DVD covers to see where the
professionals use those logos.

I like the art work.

The dingy overall yellows and oranges are off-putting. I would recommend desaturating your yellows and reds, or white balancing the entire thing.

As a quick example, this is already looking better. You'd still have to clean up all that noise on the right side of the image. Then I would recommend using a better font for the title (without the weird blue border). Also, make all the credits text less noticeable, try putting in on the bottom.

balanced.jpg

Last edited:
The yellow tint gave me the impression it was dusk and made me a
bit wary - a sense of dread. The white one makes me think it’s in
an institution.

I don't want to be mean. While the idea is good, everything about it is "artistically wrong". It looks exactly like something I would do.

If you gave that to someone with graphic arts experience, they could choose the correct fonts, sizes, coloring, shadows to make it a real poster.

Here's an example.

292648_464896100202793_100000472201882_1718610_1405610033_n.jpg

The front which was done by a professional graphic artist is excellent, with the exception of the WARNING which I added. The back I did by myself and it shows. It does what it has to. But, it looks cheesy as opposed to the front which looks great (if you even like the cover). Even if you don't, it still looks professional. Everything blends, the fonts all work together, color, size everything.

Here's a version of the DVD cover done by the professional who did the poster art.

150448_464896153536121_100000472201882_1718611_1543843865_n.jpg

Everything is just perfectly placed. It's a real cover.

Back