My first feature... your advice, please!

So... Another film maker and I on this forum are directing and shooting our first feature on a shoestring budget using our wit, creativity and blind luck to guide us through. However, I know there are others out there who have already shot features so what advice would you extend? What tips would you have? What would you warn me about in advance from your own experience?

However long you think something will take, double it.
However much you think something will cost, double it.

Even when people are working for free, there may be people who (a) are not able to do what they said they could or (b) are troublemakers and not worth having on board.
Be prepared to "fire" people even if they're not being paid.

However long you think something will take, double it.
However much you think something will cost, double it.

Even when people are working for free, there may be people who (a) are not able to do what they said they could or (b) are troublemakers and not worth having on board.
Be prepared to "fire" people even if they're not being paid.

Thanks and will take this on board, especially he time thing! I'd forgotten...

Incidentally, do you know anyone who could have a quick skim through a screenplay? Someone really cool, looks amazing in their picture, from NJ, writes amazing comments on the IT website and has a fantastic name which rhymes with tessefan? Is there anyone you know like that?

First and foremost, find the right team for both you and the project.
Get everyone on the same page. Communication is very important.
Be a straight shooter.
Be firm but fair.
Be flexible.
Be prepared.
Be organized.
Feed and water your team right.
Make sure your team feels appreciated.
Make sure that you and your team have fun doing what you love.
Be a leader that people want to follow.
Assume nothing will go according to plan. Always have plan B, C and D.
Never underestimate the power of momentum.

Last edited:
Be prepared to wear many hats, even the actors. I shot a feature once for $200. The actors were also feeding lines to each other, as well as helping carry gear etc.. They became my crew essentially. It wasn't the best movie in the world, but I learned a lot doing it and thus the one I made after was much better and has quite the following on YouTube now.

And like Sweetie says, be flexible. Actors will have things come up and can't make a shoot day. This has happened to me on every feature I've done. When this happens, I found it easier to stick to my schedule and just change the way I shoot the scene. I essentially shoot around the missing actor. Then, the next day the actor is there, I have them stay late for "detention" where we make up the shots I need of them. Calling it detention gives the cast a good laugh while also motivating them not to change their plans. To help integrate them into the scene, I'm always have them pass off and receive props just out of frame. A good edit makes it seamless. On occasion I've also used fake schlemps to tie a scene together when actors are missing.

And always thank people at the end of the day for their hard work

Last edited:
First and foremost, find the right team for both you and the project.
Get everyone on the same page. Communication is very important.
Be a straight shooter.
Be firm but fair.
Be flexible.
Be prepared.
Be organized.
Feed and water your team right.
Make sure your team feels appreciated.
Make sure that you and your team have fun doing what you love.
Be a leader that people want to follow.
Assume nothing will go according to plan. Always have plan B, C and D.
Never underestimate the power of momentum.

That's a lot of good advice. The food and water thing is big. Even if all you can afford is PBJs and bananas, it's a must. And water. Always have water. The making sure that everyone feels appreciated is also a big one. Do your best to stay positive. You're going to get frustrated, the stress levels are going to be high. For you. Don't let your stress spill over onto other people.

Oddly enough, though you're going to feel like the world is on your shoulders, I'm pretty sure you're going to have a heck of a lot of fun. You've been building up to this, G-bike. You are ready! Woohoooo, it's tiny-budget feature filmmaking time! Don't forget the reason we all do this - because we enjoy it. Above all, make sure that the process is a good time, for you and all.

Oh, and be prepared to make changes to the script. At some point, you won't really have a choice but to do so.

Have releases for actors, artists, D.P., locations, music, FX shots, etc. Basically, get signatures from anyone making a recognizable visual or audio contribution to your movie. Get them signed before the shot, not after! You don't want anyone holding your movie hostage. Don't get shots of logos, pictures or paintings, unless they are created for your movie. Blurred objects in the background are fine.

In the past, buyers or agents have asked me to fix things in post, such as warping or blurring art or logos. I never thought that a Staples brand envelope box would cause me a problem, but it did! Sometimes, you can get away with what's in your shot. Other times, not.

Last edited:
Have releases for actors, artists, D.P., locations, music, FX shots, etc. Basically, get signatures from anyone making a recognizable visual or audio contribution to your movie. Get them signed before the shot, not after! You don't want anyone holding your movie hostage. Don't get shots of logos, pictures or paintings, unless they are created for your movie. Blurred objects in the background are fine.

In the past, buyers or agents have asked me to fix things in post, such as warping or blurring art or logos. I never thought that a Staples brand envelope box would cause me a problem, but it did! Sometimes, you can get away with what's in your shot. Other times, not.

Hmm, maybe will forget about the scene shot in front of the giant Coca-Cola sign...

Back