• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My Evil Ex (my first short film)

Hello there! This film is a short film I made in a week for a digital video class. It's my first try, so don't be too harsh on the criticisms (like the members on imdb) but please tell me what you think! :)

Just a heads up, I couldn't find anybody to score the music for the film so I just used music from Scream.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdX08L14VZs

There is a lot that could be said about this film. I didn't really see any fundamental film making going on. You're taking a class, so read the book, and go by it. Probably the best advice I can give is to make a 5 minute film instead of a 10 minute one. Then really pay attention to the fundamentals.,

Don't ask us to tell you what we think if you're going to get defensive. Fact is, I didn't finish your film because I couldn't bare to watch anymore. Your lighting was nonexistant, sound was horrible, there was no scene composition, camera was all over the place. Just to name a few. So maybe you did get an "A". Who cares.

I wasn't trying to get offensive. I just didn't understand your respond because you didn't explain the "fundamentals" well enough. But thanks again for your constructive criticism, I will think about it next time! :)

And I'm just a kid trying this film thing out with absolutely no money to my name. If that explains the quality well enough.

Nevermind those dicks on IMDB. Anonymity on the internet can have the effect of turning nice people into ravenous jackals. Besides, I'll bet the people that tore you apart have never even made a movie.

This is actually pretty good, for a first film. Your camera work is a bit too shaky for my tastes, but I like that you're not afraid to move around with it.

I actually do agree with Murdock. 12 minutes is a really long first film. My first film was 1-minute. My second film was 5-minutes. Those were the maximum lengths assigned by our teacher (in a college-level filmmaking class).

I also agree that there are some pretty basic things that you've skipped over. Most glaring to me is that you're not controlling your exposure. If your camera doesn't have manual exposure, you gotta get one that does. This is, quite simply, a must.

Also, although I praised you for being adventurous with your camera, I think you should lock it down on a stationary tripod for your next few shorts. No panning, tilting, or zooming. Just work on shot composition, and shooting a scene that will cut together well. Coverage is your friend.

Everything you need to learn can be found on the internet, for free. My favorite book to recommend is a really quick and easy read, yet quite informative:

http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Bones-Camera-Course-Video/dp/0960371818

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay, let me try to give you an honest critique. Parts of this may sound harsh, but don't take it personally, it will help you learn. I skipped ahead in spots, I couldn't handle watching the whole piece.

The lighting is extremely inconsistent and non-existent in many shots. You definitely need to learn to use light correctly if you want your work to be seen as anything but amateur. It's almost impossible to see anything in the bedroom scene at 8:00. There's inconsistent color-correction that seems to have been added for no reason.

Your handheld camera moves are distracting at some points and also don't cut well together. When you're shooting, you should try to think of how the shots will come together and be edited in the final piece.

The dialogue seems jilted and forced in places. The actual sound recording obviously used the on-camera mic. If you have good sound and mediocre image is fine; but if you have bad sound it ruins the whole project.

There's three minutes of credits when it should be cut down to 30 seconds. You stole other people's music, which is illegal and unprofessional.

All in all, it wasn't horrible. You just need to learn some of the fundamentals, and practice. You'll get better, it just takes hard work.

And I'm just a kid trying this film thing out with absolutely no money to my name. If that explains the quality well enough.

Also, don't blame your age. I've seen films made by 15 year olds that would put this to shame. Coming up with excuses in general makes you look bad.

Sorry man didn't mean to respond is such an assholish manner. But I stand by my criticisms(is that a word?). I am NOT an expert by any means. So if it stands out to me then.... You get my point. I really wasn't getting down on you. Just trying to be honest.

Remember, some profs get paid by how many people take there class. So if they have a reputation for being a hard ass, noone takes their class. Look for the tenured profs, then you will earn your grade.:)

Last edited:
Okay. Sure there were problems (too overexposed at times, bad sound quality, and shaky camera at times), but it was pretty entertaining.

I skipped around a bit but I think for your first film you ever made, its pretty well made. Just use this a stepping stone to something better next time.

It's okay Murdock. I'm sorry if I looked like a douche rocket defending myself when I asked for a response. How can I get better if no one will tell me what I did wrong? It's going to be hard though, with my next video, to work with the audio and everything (money is not on my side at the moment), but I think I can fix the lighting and definitely the color. But yeah, I needed to hear what you said, or else I would keep churning out the same stuff :)

And I bet you have more experience than me at this stuff. Thanks again man!

Hmm, was expecting much worse after seeing the other threads. :lol:

Yes, there is a lot of stuff that needs fixing. Right now, though, it's more about recognising the current problems and finding the solutions before your next film starts. It's all about the pre-production.

Just my partial list of things to know about for next time:

1) Use music you have permission to use. What happens if your film gets invited to a legit fest... and can't be shown, due to copyright issues? If you can't find a composer to score it for free (they are a dime a dozen, btw) there is a huge selection of suitable tracks that can be purchased for nominal amounts. Heck, a current member of this forum owns a service that offers tracks for 99 cents... and he's just one of many services.

2) Attention to sound, in general. Probably the weakest part of your film was the atrocious sound. Don't get bent out of shape that I'm mentioning it. Do some research on what you can do to ensure that sound will be better on your next film. Implement it.

3) Camera-work could have used a bit of help. Tbh, I've never seen such blatant jello-effect before (the quick back & forth towards the end). Knowing a camera's limitations can help prevent setting up situations like this. Also, the automatic exposure control is playing havoc with the ambient lighting. You don't need a better camera. You either need your current camera guy to learn from this film, or use someone who is more familiar with that camera.

4) Lighting. God-awful. Slow down and take the time to properly set up each scene. Read a few books. Just wiki basic 3-point lighting techniques online. Even no-budget films can get great lighting, with a bit of patience and knowledge. Be ready for next time.

5) Color Balance - probably could have tossed this into lighting, as well, but a few things stood out. I quite liked the extra-orangey lights when the dude was outside on the street. Gave it a very powerful sodium-lamp look, which I've always found kinda creepy/spacey. I'm betting this was accidental, though. The rest of the time, I thought, it was something ignored that should have been taken care of.

Overall, it's not that bad a film. Several scenes are an obvious homage to existing horror/slasher flicks, but that's no crime in itself. The story itself plays through well enough. Noone's going to be confused about the story, if they make it to the end. If.

Black dude was the best actor of the lot, btw. :)

I agree with the rest that it could have been shorter. There's an easy 3 minutes from end credits alone.

If that's your first film, not too shabby. I've seen worse. Heck, my own first film was not as ambitious as yours.

Really think about what you can improve on, and apply that knowledge to the next film... and when you make that film, you'll go through the exact same "what could I have done better?" process all over again! :lol:

Whatever you do... just don't stress out over people giving you feedback. Especially on this forum, where the members really like to chime in on the technical details.

There will never be an end to self-improvement. :cool:

I agree with what the others above posted. But apart from the technical and other shortcomings, I sort of enjoyed it once it got going. I took it as sort of horror/comedy, and I think it has its charms. Little doubt your next one will be better.

Back