• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Music video shot with Canon t2i

Good video, some real nice shots in there.

Some things I didn't like

- The cut of the lead turning over the ignition (with the keys), it was looked jared and was probably unnecessary.

- Lack of sound, I would have tried to mix a little sound into the video, like the noise of the engine running, it just seemed unnatural to me when the fumes are pumping out of the exhaust not to have the engine noise. Music videos are entitled to have noise not pertaining the the actual music track.

upshotuckh6ton.png

I circled the top corners of the canvas because the effect tapers, I really dislike that and it appears quit a few times. I circled the sky splitting sunlight in green because that looks great.

- I hate wicky, wicky WIGERS and the song sucks, but that pretty irrelevant.

Good Job overall.

Yeh that effect is the Vignette. Because of a Time restraint I was forced to do my color correction and effects inside FCP 7. Which sucks. Normally I would have batched out each of my un-edited clips into still frames and then ran them through Adobe Photo shop. Then it would have looked way better. Since there was a deadline for a release party and I litterly got done with the final render 2 hours before the video was to be showed I was stuck with that. Sad I know. Next project will def have a more consistent look with cleaner color and effects.

Yeh that effect is the Vignette. Because of a Time restraint I was forced to do my color correction and effects inside FCP 7. Which sucks. Normally I would have batched out each of my un-edited clips into still frames and then ran them through Adobe Photo shop. Then it would have looked way better. Since there was a deadline for a release party and I litterly got done with the final render 2 hours before the video was to be showed I was stuck with that. Sad I know. Next project will def have a more consistent look with cleaner color and effects.

Have you not got Color with FCP? It looks a bit daunting, but if you've managed to colour correct video with Photoshop it should be a breezeā€¦

FCP has color correction tools just like photoshop but they do not produce the same quality of effect. Think about it this way. A movie is really 1,000's of still pictures. Photoshop is made for photo correction. You can do way better looking effects in photoshop then you can do with the same tools provided for you in FCP or even Adobe Premiere for that matter. It's just something about the way that photoshop adjusts the image. It will take you longer to batch out a video to frames then batch them through photoshop. but the results are worth it. I feel like i have total control of the over all color feel with photoshop. I could recreate any color cast emotion there is. Easily. So for me there is nothing better. I'm sure there are professional tools out there that work great Like Magic Bullet looks, but I would rather stick to what I know. I came up as a photographer and graphic designer first so for me photoshop is the only way to go.

I meant the program Color, that ships with Final Cut Studio, not the colour-correction tools within FCP. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. It's designed specifically for colour grading, and before Apple bought it up a single-seat licence would set you back up to $25,000 - you can be damn sure it'll give you the control you want.

Footage is great, yah.

I actually liked that lens vignette. I know it bugs a lot of people, but imo it adds something interesting to peripherals.

The song itself ain't my cup o' tea, but if I was that singer I'd be pretty satisfied with a well-done video. It's simple, but still says all it needs to say. Sometimes that's all that's needed to complement the music.

- I hate wicky, wicky WIGERS and the song sucks, but that pretty irrelevant.

First of all, it's "wigga", not "wigger". "Wigger" is offensive.
And, you better be a wigga, cuz only wigga's are allowed to
call each other "wigga". ;)

Hey, eriksoderquist! I'm a native Seattlite. You live in Tacoma, or
just your rapper friends? Or, as your "location" implies, do you
live in Seatac? And I do miss home. I hear the indie filmmaking
scene is very healthy in Seattle.

As for your video, I think it's nicely done. I like your shot-selection,
and I'm glad to see that somebody with a T2i has finally decided
not to use shallow DOF on every single shot. God, it's like everybody
got this new toy and just can't stop playing with it. I think the fact
that you went with wide DOF on most of your shot works out well.

A couple constructive criticisms -- in my opinion, the cuts could be paced
a little faster. And, I liked the shots in which you moved the camera; I
wanted to see more of them.

Nice work.

P.S. Anybody notice my narrow paragraphs? After all this time on the
board, I finally noticed what directorik was doing. It makes them easier
to read. Thanks, directorik!

I know some of you may not like the type of music, but isn't that irrelevant here? I mean this is a forum for film making. My client was a rapper and a pretty good one. He's not a gangbanger and hes not a gangster rapper. So calling him a wigger is a bit out of line in my opinion. I wouldn't come on this forum and insult anyone here like that. But yeh. Thanks for the feed back on the video. It's the first one I shot with a DSLR camera. I love the DSLR and the way it works. Wish I had the 7d or 5d but the t2i works pretty damn well also.

I guess the music is only slightly irrelevant because you want us to judge the video, but at the same time in movies isn't music like half of the experience?

I'm going to say overall I liked it, but as someone else stated (to lazy to look up) the car engine sounds. You have the exhaust, but you cannot hear the car. Also at the end when the song is fading out, I think you should have the road sounds fading in. That last part just seemed super odd with the song going away and nothing but silence creeping in, as he's driving down the road.

Only other thing is the cuts of the people holding up their hands in the numbers 2, 5, and 3. I know its a slow song but those cuts seemed overly long.

If your customer liked it, then its alllll gravy. :D

P.S. I really liked the way you kinda showed the nitty gritty "streets" feel.

I personally liked it and thought the song was decent...and I'm not even a fan of hip hop or rap. I was also a fan of the vignette, despite what other members may say.

Hi there,

I too have experimented with Photoshop for colour correction in the past, and I must agree - the control you have over the image is simply unmatched. Out of curiousity, how do you go about dividing the image into individual frames? I've worked with a few programs in the past, but I was just wondering what your preference was.

I know some of you may not like the type of music, but isn't that irrelevant here? I mean this is a forum for film making.

Certainly, but in a forum folder for music videos/Commercials, its seems acceptable to pass a small opinion on the track if you feel like it. I did it at the end, it was light hearted and I then acknowledged that the comment was irrelevant myself. Sorry if I offended you with my opinion.

Landels Film:

I use quicktime pro Export MOV to image sequence option. Very easy to use.

GreatDanton:

It's not that I don't expect people to give opinions its just that wigger is a bit harsh of a word. very insulting. I would have rather just hurd you didn't care for the song or even you hated the song. But calling my Client a wigger just seems over the top. Like your taking a stab. I'm not offended at all and appreciate your feed back alot.

Landels Film:

I use quicktime pro Export MOV to image sequence option. Very easy to use.

GreatDanton:

It's not that I don't expect people to give opinions its just that wigger is a bit harsh of a word. very insulting. I would have rather just hurd you didn't care for the song or even you hated the song. But calling my Client a wigger just seems over the top. Like your taking a stab. I'm not offended at all and appreciate your feed back alot.

Like I said -- "wigger" is offensive.

"Wigga" is not offensive, but only if one wigga is calling another wigga "wigga". It should be noted that this rule only applies to the younger generations, because they feel like they have taken ownership of a word that was once offensive, and changed it to be something more akin to a term of endearment. As in, "Yeah, my boy J-Dog, that's my wigga".

The older generation, however, cannot remove the negative connotations they associate with that word, so even though they understand that the younger generation intends to use it in a different way, they are nevertheless offended by it's usage, because they grew up constantly hearing things like, "Dammit, Johnny, you'll never amount to anything, you no-good wigger!"

So, depending on the social context, "wigga" can be okay. But "wigger" is never okay.

And stop calling me "Cracker"!

:cool:

Like I said -- "wigger" is offensive.

"Wigga" is not offensive, but only if one wigga is calling another wigga "wigga". It should be noted that this rule only applies to the younger generations, because they feel like they have taken ownership of a word that was once offensive, and changed it to be something more akin to a term of endearment. As in, "Yeah, my boy J-Dog, that's my wigga".

The older generation, however, cannot remove the negative connotations they associate with that word, so even though they understand that the younger generation intends to use it in a different way, they are nevertheless offended by it's usage, because they grew up constantly hearing things like, "Dammit, Johnny, you'll never amount to anything, you no-good wigger!"

So, depending on the social context, "wigga" can be okay. But "wigger" is never okay.

And stop calling me "Cracker"!

:cool:

Once again, my apologies. I meant it as a light hearted joke really but having re-read my comment, I understand why it could be interpreted as offensive. Its difficult to display brash, sarcastic humour on a forum.

Once again, my apologies. I meant it as a light hearted joke really but having re-read my comment, I understand why it could be interpreted as offensive. Its difficult to display brash, sarcastic humour on a forum.

Uh, I was trying to be funny.

Hey, my jokes work by the law of averages! They can't all work!

EDIT: It just dawned on me that you're in Ireland, so maybe you didn't get the context of my joke. In America, the N-word is used A LOT, but oddly enough, mostly by young black men. This subculture has turned it into a completely different word than what it originally meant. Their parents, however, who lived through the civil-rights movement, will absolutely NOT ever see that word in a positive light (of course I'm generalizing in a major way, but I think what I'm saying is largely true). So, for me to speak about the word "wigger" in the same context, I was being facetious. I don't think the term is that offensive. Hell, I used to be one. I was just trying to fit in with my peers, so I adopted their language. That didn't make me weird. That made me a normal teennager. Now, I'm old, and I don't care about fitting in with anyone, not really. But I'm not embarrassed about how I dressed and talked in my teens and early twenties. That's just part of youth. Everybody has their clique. I don't think the use of the word "wigger" is any more offensive than "goth" or "emo" -- it just refers to a small subculture that prescribes to certain styles of clothing, language, and music. Whatever.

We're off-topic. The video is very good, in my opinion. And, you never answered my questions about Seattle, eriksoderquist.

Last edited:
Back