• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Music vid - idea by Alcove Audio

Normally I'd be pimping the link but I'm not. It's just an OKish music vid. Nothing too exciting, just a shoot where the singer turned up late (she paid for the room but we ended up having only a couple of hours), didn't do her hair and didn't produce the actors she promised so had to improvise a vid from limited footage.

Alcove Audio mentioned Prelinger so I put it together with a loose narrative taken from a movie.

Shoot was a couple of hours due to the lateness of the artist and the lack of availability of the room. The edit was a 'quick and dirty.'

https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review/81056456/69df2b8874

Dang, you ain't kiddin' about her hair! :weird:

Cool, glad you got it finished. Now stop agreeing to terrible conditions for your gigs. Just stop it! :lol:

:yes:

I agree and another hard lesson learned. I have moved onto the next level which is pitching ideas to artists who are at a less low level. I am dealing with the next set of issues around this.

The next vid will be up in a couple of weeks and it is a significantly higher quality level, particularly as it was shot and edited by the very talented Salacious

Last edited:
...also I thought that if someone is paying money for something then they would at least care about it.

Seriously... What woman goes on camera and doesn't care about her hair?

i'd be less concerned about her hair - that is something you can't control - sure, you can suggest the talent brush their hair, teeth, fix their scarf or put makeup on the pimple that's about to erupt on her forehead..... but you can't hold them down and do it to them...

YOU CAN CONTROL THE FRAMING OF THE SHOTS

The intercutting of the film footage worked really well with the song, nice job there...

Overall though, the video doesn't make sense to me... the black and white with red seemed like you did it just because you could... as did the masking the shot with 3 bars....

Back to the framing... without looking at the lyrics, the song has a very disjointed / skewed emotional pull, that I love! But the video didn't reflect that. All the shots are from the typical easy angle with the camera eye high.

This would have been a GREAT place to explore some different angles. Lay on the floor. Stand on the piano. Get that camera in your crotch.

As they say in Dead Poets Society - see things differently.

Last edited:
i'd be less concerned about her hair - that is something you can't control - sure, you can suggest the talent brush their hair, teeth, fix their scarf or put makeup on the pimple that's about to erupt on her forehead..... but you can't hold them down and do it to them...

YOU CAN CONTROL THE FRAMING OF THE SHOTS

The intercutting of the film footage worked really well with the song, nice job there...

Overall though, the video doesn't make sense to me... the black and white with red seemed like you did it just because you could... as did the masking the shot with 3 bars....

Back to the framing... without looking at the lyrics, the song has a very disjointed / skewed emotional pull, that I love! But the video didn't reflect that. All the shots are from the typical easy angle with the camera eye high.

This would have been a GREAT place to explore some different angles. Lay on the floor. Stand on the piano. Get that camera in your crotch.

As they say in Dead Poets Society - see things differently.

Realistically, there was not enough time as she arrived late and we had to vacate the room shortly afterwards so I tried to get 'something,' but it's a good general point about my shooting style. Rather than go with what I know, I could have taken a few risks. Mentally, I was thinking, 'oh cr@p, just have to get something in the can and work out what to do when I get it home,' whereas I could've been thinking - 'great, an opportunity to experiment and see what I can come up with.'

In fact, overall, thinking about it now, I should take more risks. I am probably a little too classical in my shot composition although being 17 stone (240lbs), standing on a rickety grand piano might create a very interesting, dynamic shot...

You're right about the other stuff - the red, black and white to keep the viewer a little more interested, in part because of all the red of the dresses and the black and white of the piano keys. Plus, the analogous nature of love and death being red, black and white but this is probably a little too esoteric.

Interesting point.

Back