multiple roles in a movie

Hey everybody,

Since Im doing a no-budget short and since I wont be paying my actors, I noticed they're not giving their full potential which is understandably logical, however...

What if I decided to do all the roles? Dress up differently so they barely notice it's actually me in disguise and with a different voice depending on the role, althought that would probably take a lot of hard work, but atleast I'll be doing exactly what I have envisioned for my short movie. Isnt that what really matters?

I mean...take a look at "Norbit" for example..Eddie Murphy plays 3 roles if I remember correctly - Norbit, his wife and that old chinese dude. BUT... what really intrigues me is how did he manage to make them appear at the same time? .. did he use a double or something? A bit confusing. What do you think?

How can I pull it off?

Okay heres the update of my clip: View My Video

Sorry about the length, there were too many keyframes to be dealth with (the whole masking process) frame by frame etc. I'm thinking of using a greenscreen, should I overlap. Or maybe I'll just try to avoid too much overlapping cause without a greenscreen it can be quite painful in post. :)

I learned the hardway about overlapping when I use garbage mattes, it can be quite a challenge (and yes it in painful in post, even my little 5 seconds of footage at the end of my short was pain to arrange:rolleyes:

Watching your clip, that's pretty good! I haven't gotten to be able to "overlap" people yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV0owh1Nz5k

Just to see what I did, what I did occurs right at the end with the two sitting on the couch (if you want to watch the whole thing that's fine too lol-note it doesn't have a soundtrack yet so all it literally is is video-hope to get my score for it soon :) )

Last edited:
I learned the hardway about overlapping when I use garbage mattes, it can be quite a challenge (and yes it in painful in post, even my little 5 seconds of footage at the end of my short was pain to arrange:rolleyes:

Watching your clip, that's pretty good! I haven't gotten to be able to "overlap" people yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV0owh1Nz5k

Just to see what I did, what I did occurs right at the end with the two sitting on the couch (if you want to watch the whole thing that's fine too lol-note it doesn't have a soundtrack yet so all it literally is is video-hope to get my score for it soon :) )

Interesting video!

I dont get what youre really trying to show :D could you point it out somehow? all I see is you sitting on a couch at one point :)

Interesting video!

I dont get what youre really trying to show :D could you point it out somehow? all I see is you sitting on a couch at one point :)

I just realized my "couch" scene isn't included! LOL. OKAY THEN....

For some reason, when I uploaded to Youtube, it clipped off about 30-45 seconds of footage, THAT explains why people were wondering "why did it cut off", and I totally misinterpreted it and I just didn't check because I was so busy-WELL, I've been learned!

Looks like everyone didn't even get a chance to see ALL of my video footage-yes ladies and gents, there was an extra 45 seconds of footage that didn't get added-I guess I know what I'm doing! LOL SUre explains why people were saying "can't wait to see the REST" :lol:

I shall get footage (INCLUDING the scene was I was referencing) loaded on the weekend :)

I feel like such a dork!

Last edited:
I just realized my "couch" scene isn't included! LOL. OKAY THEN....

For some reason, when I uploaded to Youtube, it clipped off about 30-45 seconds of footage, THAT explains why people were wondering "why did it cut off", and I totally misinterpreted it and I just didn't check because I was so busy-WELL, I've been learned!

Looks like everyone didn't even get a chance to see ALL of my video footage-yes ladies and gents, there was an extra 45 seconds of footage that didn't get added-I guess I know what I'm doing! LOL SUre explains why people were saying "can't wait to see the REST" :lol:

I shall get footage (INCLUDING the scene was I was referencing) loaded on the weekend :)

I feel like such a dork!

Haha, dont sweat it!

Meanwhile I decided to experient some more and uploaded another clip with my dog...well, several dogs (actually have one)... :D... just for the heck of it!

View My Video

I'll have to come back to this thread. Right now, I'm shooting a 10 minute (approx.) short to show at IndieMeet, tomorrow. I am working camera and playing 3 people! My wife and kids are also in the movie, but they don't know how to set it up.

I am playing 2 home intruders (both masked) and a soldier that kills them. I have to stick a knife into.....myself. I'm using a watermelon as a standin for the bad guy's head. :lol::lol:

Thanks y'all! :D Tinalera got the hang of it aswell. Saw the cloning. Nice job.

Thanks! I'm still learning-that was a pretty basic clone job, just shot the scene as two seperate shots, then overlapped and used 8 pt Garbage Matte to bring them together-then played with brightness, contrast, ect.

Like I said, I want to try with 4 characters, but that's going to require green screen I think-I don't know if I could get away with just garbage matting-we'll have to see ;)

I'm also considering buying green screen for overlapping purposes. But in another post of mine, someone mentioned "keying out colors" or something like that instead of using green screen. Im not sure how it works and I think it's also called "rotoscopping" or something along those lines. Cant find any good useful resources related to that. ....

Either way, good luck! :D

I'm also considering buying green screen for overlapping purposes. But in another post of mine, someone mentioned "keying out colors" or something like that instead of using green screen. Im not sure how it works and I think it's also called "rotoscopping" or something along those lines. Cant find any good useful resources related to that. ....

"Rotoscoping" is used in alot in animation-it's having an actor "act" out a scene, and they drawing over top of that actor frame by frame-have you seen Waking Life? That's a (surreal) version of rotoscoping.

Keying out colours I believe involves, well if you used a green screen for example, acting in front of it and then keying out, or removing, the screen from the pic.

But feel free to ask for clarification from others here, there is a LOT of good info to be had, and I know someone would be able to answer these Q's a lot better than I could (and I can learn too! ;))

And thanks for the good luck-I'll probably need it! :)

When you use a green screen, it's also known as a chroma key. So basically when someone says to key out colors, they are talking about a blue or green screen.

If you don't want to go out and buy an expensive green screen right away, I have found that bright green poster board works really well. You can just place hold it up behind an actor or else tape a bunch together (carefully and neatly) and then tape it up on a wall or hang it, etc.

When you use a green screen, it's also known as a chroma key. So basically when someone says to key out colors, they are talking about a blue or green screen.

If you don't want to go out and buy an expensive green screen right away, I have found that bright green poster board works really well. You can just place hold it up behind an actor or else tape a bunch together (carefully and neatly) and then tape it up on a wall or hang it, etc.

Your explanation makes a LOT more sense (and is more accurate) than mine-thank you! :)

I guess the "keying out" was what threw me :lol:

Looks good.

Is this something you can do for a 5 to 10 minute short film?
Do you still think this will be easier than finding two actors who
will work for free?

While there are other actors in his movie, TIBURON, Christopher Behrens plays twin brothers. It's a feature. I haven't seen it, but I thought the "twins" idea was a good device for this type of thing. TRAILER HERE

I finally posted A SOLDIER'S SON, where I play the 3 men. So far, I don't think many people are catching that they are the same person. A SOLDIER'S SON thread

Back