• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Multiple Angles one Camera?

Hello,

I am putting together my first short and it has quite a bit of back and forth dialogue. I only have one camera and would like to film multiple angles of the characters going back and forth in conversation (the facial expressions are key to what I'm doing, so close-ups of both characters will be prevalent throughout). Any ideas on how to effectively go about this. My main concern is the audio.

1. How do I smooth the cuts over from character to character as far as the audio goes?
2. I guess I could keep rolling and change angles and cut the movement out in post but I am unsure how to keep the audio transition smooth?
3. if I do multiple takes, again, what's the best way to smooth out the audio so it looks professional between each take?

I am using FCE4 in case it matters.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Well you can cut video independantly of audio in editing. So you can run audio of one character's dialogue so it goes over into another shot.
Just cut out the unneeded parts and leave the audio the run across.

One of the most important things I have learned this past couple of months is room tone (noise of the room when noone is talking or ambiance of the place you are at). In order for the audio dialogue to be smooth during the change of angles, the room tone should be consistent.

The idea is to record a fair amount of room tone so you can use it over the different angles or to smooth over bits of audio.

In jeremyhung short at around 1:31 with the conversation bettween the two girls, you can clearly hear a difference of tone/ambiance with the change of angles.

Nice short BTW jeremyhung,

Im sure somone ellse can explain this a bit more indepth but if not heres an intersting link.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=edit room tone&f=false

Robert Rodriguez

For El Mariachi, Robert Rodriguez had certain close ups planned out before he shot a scene, and would stay wide for some dialogue and zoom in on one character during the other one's line to make it seem like a close up. With that method it cuts down the amount of times you need to film the scene. If it's a two character conversation, you could be lucky enough to only have to film two takes if you have all the close ups planned out. Once on each character.

I know it's not the best method but, if done correctly, it can really help.

For El Mariachi, Robert Rodriguez had certain close ups planned out before he shot a scene, and would stay wide for some dialogue and zoom in on one character during the other one's line to make it seem like a close up. With that method it cuts down the amount of times you need to film the scene. If it's a two character conversation, you could be lucky enough to only have to film two takes if you have all the close ups planned out. Once on each character.

I know it's not the best method but, if done correctly, it can really help.
I'm not sure what you mean, the shots are always planned out, and it's standard practice to shoot a master for safety.

Back