Movie making. The basics as I currently understand them.

Firstly I want to point out that I am a newbie to movie making myself. I do not want people to confuse my thoughts and views here as if they are the be all and end all of what is correct. To take such a stance would be pure arrogance, and I would be putting you wrong. There will be others with far more understanding then I on pretty much every topic I am going to touch upon here, and when they speak, they are absolutely worth listening to. Some will agree with me, others will disagree on points, and others again will entirely disagree and for me, that is the true value of these forums. It is through reading such debates myself that I have come to understand quite a few things from differing perspectives both for and against techniques, ideas, skills etc and it is those members mentions of the pros and cons of such topics that I have been able to follow their sound reasoning behind their views to come to my own decisions.

Further. I will term some things in the way that I understand them in my head and there will be others that use their own terminology, and/or "correct" terminology which I am still learning. So please be patient with me if you don't understand.

The first thing I wish to clarify for all new film makers is this. No position, skill, or person involved in movie making is more important then another. They are all hugely vital if you wish to make good film, and if one falls over, the entire film falls over. I want now to discuss some of the main roles required to make a movie.

Script
Whether you write it yourself, or have somebody else write it. A bad script, written quickly by an inexperienced writer will spell disaster for any story. NEVER pick up and attempt to film a script that you are not excited about. If anything in there sounds just ok, have it changed. Do not worry about hurt feelings, if the script is bad, change it or risk wasting a lot of time, effort, and potentially money, not to mention any future reputation you hope to make. And for god-sake, have a few people you trust read it before you commit to anything. If they say it needs improving...it does!!!

Casting of potential actors.
Do not make the mistake of picking your mate Bob to play your lead role because he is your best friend and seems really excited. This is a huge rookie mistake. Also do not cast somebody in a role just because they have a good amount of acting experience over your other picks. Pick an actor who matches the character you wish them to play. For instance lets look at Nicolas Cage. He is a good actor (arguably) and in a movie where he has to deliver some clever lines, he is somewhat believable, but as a tough guy, or as a soft genuine guy in a relationship, he can do it but he kind of sucks. In the same way, your mate Bob might be a great mate and you might have a lot of time for him, but if his natural characteristics do not match that of the character that he is to play, then casting him in that role could ruin your movie. For this reason, when I interview people for a movie part I do not give them any lines or scripts to learn. Nor do I give them any idea about the part they might play, because I want them to just be themselves. This lets me see if they naturally suit my character, or whether I would be better having them either elsewhere helping out, or not on my set at all.

Camera man/woman
I picked a woman to shoot my upcoming movie for me based on one still picture. She has never done film before, but this one picture of hers caught my eye. It was one of only 4 shots she was showing, and it was beautiful. I asked her about it and she told me that she had to wait quite a while for the light to be perfect which told me that she had the eye for the job. She spotted a beautiful scene before it was there, saw what it would be if she waited, and then took the shot at the perfect time to capture this incredible natural shot. She caught it beautifully. For me, that tells me that she understands beauty and looks for it in her own work, and will look for it in mine, which is what I am looking for. I also can tell from that one shot that out of all the angles she could have picked, she understood that the best way to capture that picture was from the exact angle she took it from. I guess I am trying to tell you that rather then pick the quickest person in with a camera, it is better to look for a camera person that is already photographing (even if only stills) the things that you are looking for in your movie. If you are lucky enough to find that person, then you will have good film. Further, the camera person must be in tune with the director, and completely understand what the director is looking for in each shot but confident enough to speak if they are able to suggest a better angle or way of taking that footage. The editor must be very much in on this also as I will discuss later.
Lastly the camera crew must know their lenses. It is no good to use one lens on every scene. A good camera crew will have a few lenses to choose from and will be seen swapping them out for a different lens for varying shots. One lens for an entire film will equal opportunities missed and potentially good footage turned into stale film. As pointed out in comments below...if you get a camera crew come forward, always ask for footage that they have shot. If they do not have any, perhaps ask them to go out and shoot some so that you can get an idea of how good their knowledge and skill actually is.
These people work under the direction of the Director of Photography.

Lighting
Sometimes/Often the camera crew cannot wait for the perfect shot. Or the right lighting to make that shot clear and precise, or catch the right mood. This is where your lighter comes in. They and the camera crew must be in constant communication, with the lighter becoming so attuned to what the camera crew is after that they can anticipate how the shot needs to be lit to match what the camera crew is going for. I look for a lighting crew that has a natural attention to the tiniest detail, and good problem solving skills.
These people work under the direction of the Director of Photography.

Sound
The perfect footage is ruined if the sound is not crisp and clean. I am talking about the capturing of spoken word. The dog barking in the background or the insect flying past the mic can ruin a good take. While all eyes are on the action the sound crew must have their ear to the scene to make sure that nothing undesirable strays in unnoticed. A good sound tech will also be very skilled with software such as adobe auditions, and able to single out stray background noise in editing and cancel it out within reason. Your sound crew are in control of what your audience hears, and if they tell you that the scene is ruined by background sounds, as painful as it may be, you are better to heed their warning and wait for a different part of the day, or take you shoot elsewhere where sound is better captured. The sound crew are also in charge of capturing those crisp, well spoken lines. They need to have a clear understanding of what mics to use for the situation. if you have a sound crew that say that they have one mic that will do the entire film, I would not advise using them.

Alcove Audio in comments below
"You have to keep in mind that production sound and audio post are two different disciplines. Your production sound mixer, boom-op and/or audio assistant do not have to know noise reduction - that's the job of the rerecording mixer (or in some cases the dialog editor/mixer).

The production sound team is responsible for the cleanest, most intelligible dialog possible. The audio post team is responsible for building and mixing a cohesive sound scape."

For a hugely in depth look into sound, and for some sound advice (pun intended) Alcove Audio, a member here, wrote some greats blogs on the topic. Well worth the read.

http://www.indietalk.com/blog.php?b=76

Wardrobe
Yes, wardrobe. Even in a small indie film, wardrobe is important. It is no good for Bob to come to shoot film in his $100 suit and tie if he is expected to look like a highly paid body guard. We can all tell the difference between a hundred and a thousand dollar suit. If the part requires the more expensive suit, hire it. If the part requires the girl to wear a cheap red dress, hire or buy it. There are a lot of great second hand clothing stores out there. If you want the clothing for a year, buy it, if you want it a few times for a few different scenes, hire it. If you have someone in charge of wardrobe it means that this important aspect of the shoot will not be overlooked. Ideally your wardrobe people will have done some fashion design and have access to a sewing machine if things need to be altered or custom made. If you see them running in to remove a stray thread every now and then, then they are clearly doing their job. Wardrobe crew will keep those clothes clean, taking them home to be washed and ironed for the next shoot. They will consider different outfits for different scenes and characters and basically assist in making each character match the part they are meant to play. Keep an eye on those shoes. The wrong pair of shoes throws the entire shot into an unbelievable mess.

Makeup/Hair
These people will have a good understanding of their craft, and a high level of skill. They will need to understand that different makeup will look different under different light and know how to blend the actor in with the scene to look appear as required. The hair stylist will keep your actors looking sharp.

Editor
This guy is in charge of how each scene turns out, and where in the movie it ends up. He tells the Director, and the Director of Photography what he can and cannot edit in to footage and works closely with them so that he understands what the scene is meant to show.

The Colorist (re Jax Rox correction in comments )
"Whilst perhaps a bit more elevated than the bare-bones 'basics' - the colourist is the guy/gal who's going to take your log-space or raw mush and make it as beautiful as you lit it on set (and in many cases more beautiful!)."

The colorist is an expert when it comes to giving your film that dark ominous look, or making a simple outdoors scene look like something shot in heaven itself. He/she is an expert in understanding how to make things look better in film and should have a huge amount of experience with color correction software. This is definitely not a skill that the average joe can learn in a few hours of playing around.

Director of Photography (direct from wiki after being pointed out by Jax Rox)
The Director of Photography, DoP or DP, is the chief of the camera and lighting crew of the film. The DoP makes decisions on lighting and framing of shots in conjunction with the film's director. Typically, the Director tells the DoP how he or she wants a shot to look, and the DoP chooses the correct lens, filter, lighting and composition to achieve the desired aesthetic effect. The DoP is the senior creative crew member after the director.

Director
Aaah the prestige of being a director. A director is in charge of progressing the story and keeping all of the others in tune. He is the composer to the orchestra and has a clear understanding of what each of the others need to do their job on a daily basis. He keeps everybody updated on what is coming next, and keeps the ball rolling smoothly to progress the film. A good director tells his crew what he needs, a great director listens to what is possible. He is not skilled in any given area but understands the jobs of all the others and what they need to do it, pushing them on when necessary and getting out of their way when needed to allow them to do it. The director has the self confidence to control the others and the humbleness to understand that his crew know more then him in relation to their specialties. He is at heart, a middleman that keeps everybody moving in the same direction. He must have patience, and the ability to talk to all crew in a way that brings out their best. He must be a good reader of people and know when to pull somebody aside and help them gently into the right head space to focus on their work. He must be the constant professional.

For a full and comprehensive look at all of the positions involved. Please follow this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_crew

I really do feel like such a prat with this post up. I am painfully aware of how arrogant it must seem that I, a complete newbie, would have a post up outlining my understanding of such a vast topic. I am tempted to delete it, but at the same time I feel that if in posting this, my points are corrected, and I then update the post to reflect correct information then it could save a lot of newbies a lot of time. Once it is complete I certainly intend to print it out and put it into my notes book to keep me on track. I hope that others can learn as I do from the corrections coming in from the more advanced members.

Last edited:
Camera man/woman
I picked a woman to shoot my upcoming movie for me based on one still picture. She has never done film before, but this one picture of hers caught my eye. It was one of only 4 shots she was showing, and it was beautiful.

For one of my projects I picked a guy to be a cameraman because he is a brilliant artist. He can draw and paint amazing pictures... Let me tell you, a talent like that does not always transfer to being a cameraman.

Sound
The perfect footage is ruined if the sound is not crisp and clean. I am talking about the capturing of spoken word. The dog barking in the background or the insect flying past the mic can ruin a good take. While all eyes are on the action the sound crew must have their ear to the scene to make sure that nothing undesirable strays in unnoticed. A good sound tech will also be very skilled with software such as adobe auditions, and able to single out stray background noise in editing and cancel it out within reason. Your sound crew are in control of what your audience hears, and if they tell you that the scene is ruined by background sounds, as painful as it may be, you are better to heed their warning and wait for a different part of the day, or take you shoot elsewhere where sound is better captured. The sound crew are also in charge of capturing those crisp, well spoken lines. They need to have a clear understanding of what mics to use for the situation. if you have a sound crew that say that they have one mic that will do the entire film, I would not advise using them.

You have to keep in mind that production sound and audio post are two different disciplines. Your production sound mixer, boom-op and/or audio assistant do not have to know noise reduction - that's the job of the rerecording mixer (or in some cases the dialog editor/mixer).

The production sound team is responsible for the cleanest, most intelligible dialog possible. The audio post team is responsible for building and mixing a cohesive sound scape.

Sweetie, I've come to have a reasonable amount of respect for your posts so far. I would not take any offense if you picked out the parts you disagree with and tell us why.

As mentioned in the first paragraph or so...what gives this entire forum so much value is when people have opposing opinions and discuss them, giving readers both sides of the coin on any given topic. I would appreciate and value any views you have.

Alcove I just learnt something :) I thought sound guys did all of that, and that the only thing they were not necessarily involved with was making the film score but could be if they had the musical talent.

I was browsing through parts of this site this evening when I came across your blogs. I hope you don't mind but I mentioned them above and posted a link. That is all hugely valuable info you have in there.

Last edited:
Firstly, realistically, you should have a DP who oversees Lighting, Camera and Grip. They're the ones (as you say) who can pick the beauty in shots.

Here's the inherent issue(s) with picking someone who has the eye, but not the experience or knowledge of working on a film:
There have been entire movies shot at magic hour. That's awesome. But it takes so much longer to shoot, as you only have 2 hours of shoot time per day. Not only that, but magic hour lighting changes rapidly, and so you can have lighting that doesn't match between takes or between shots. And when you're relying on the sun, there's no moving the light to put it back where you want it to go - there's only waiting until that happens (which could be hours, or a whole day away).
You should pick a DP who has a keen eye, but also has the knowledge and ability to light with the budget you have in mind. There's no point picking a DP who has only ever worked with a minimum $1000/day lighting package if you're not going to have that on your film (and they don't know what to do without their $1000/day package).

There is a distinct difference between the camera and lighting crew, but your DP is the boss of them, and your DP is the one who should have the overall visual style, aesthetic and design the look of the film - of course in conjunction with the Director. Gaffers play a huge role, but it's the DP who designs the look, and the overall feel and placement of lighting.

That said, a good camera crew, and good G&E crew are definitely worth whatever you're (not ;)) paying them. A great 1st AC will save you time with less takes where the focus is buzzed, a great DIT will save your but and make sure there's no data loss, a great Gaffer will help to sculpt the light within the DPs specifications to that it looks awesome, and a great Grip will make sure everyone stays safe, and get your camera moving in ways you never thought possible.

Overall, good professional crew will be able to accomplish things quicker, as they've done it before. And that saves time. Attention to the 'little things' is good, but at the end of the day you want to be finishing your day, rather than pushing the schedule back four weeks because your lighting team spent 2 hours fussing over the tiniest thing that can barely be noticed anyway.
Personally, I'd rather have things 95% as good as they can be, and have everyone loving their time on set, than have everything 100% but piss everyone off so much (because you end up on a 16 hour day without overtime pay, or the schedule blows out another 4 weeks without pay) that they never want to work with you again.

Oh and the plural of lens is lenses ;)

You missed out on Production Design! Your Production Designer is going to oversee all the set dressings, wardrobe, make-up and hair choices, as well as props etc. Your Production Designer, in conjunction with the Cinematographer and Director are the three people who are most responsible for the look of the film. A great Production Designer has a keen design sense. They're the ones who will help choose the colour palette, and ensure that HMU, wardrobe, props and sets are all pulling in the same direction. Production Designers are the Cinematographers best friends, because they make us look good!

(Location scouts are our second best friends ;))

Honestly, the Editor is less likely to be the one in constant contact with everybody else. If the Director doesn't know how something's going to cut together, he perhaps shouldn't be directing. The Director is the one who needs the overall vision of the film. Certainly if things aren't cutting together, you definitely schedule in pickups.

Onto the next question....

What is the BEST camera for shooting indie films.

Short answer. The one you can afford.

I would agree with this to a certain extent. Preferably, I would say:

What is the BEST camera for shooting indie films.

Short Answer: The one your DP (whom you feel comfortable with, who shares your vision and makes you excited about the visual style of the film) feels comfortable with, that supports the look and style of the film. Perhaps it's their own, more often than not (at least on productions with some budget), it will be hired.

Personally, I think it entirely depends on what your purpose is. The only time I would recommend someone buy their own camera for the purpose of practising or shooting a film is if they want to become a Cinematographer. And it would mostly be for the purpose of practising and honing their craft.

Directing a project? You're going to get a lot more out of hiring a professional Cinematographer than you ever could have. Even if you asked a Cinematographer to take a pay cut and provide their own camera for a week for $1000-$1500 (which you would have otherwise spent on a DSLR), you'll end up with something that looks so much better than anything you could have shot on your own, even if the Cinematographer is using the exact same DSLR you were thinking of purchasing

Unless, of course, they're one of these kids who get their parents to buy them a camera and then call themselves a Cinematographer, but that's a different story, and you should be able to sort that out by checking out their reels.

Jax-Rox....you clearly know your stuff...all I can say is that its a shame your not here in NZ helping me get our first film off the ground. This is though partly why I wrote this, so that I could state my understandings and have people with more knowledge, like Alcove and yourself, correct me before I do anything stupid. I clearly have a LOT to learn.

Of course there is a side of me that feels like a complete idiot for posting the above and having it corrected, but at the same time I have to admire the knowledge you guys have on tap in your head that can only have come from quite a few years of doing this stuff. You can trust I'll be actively searching you both you and Alcoves posts to learn as much as I can from you, without forcing you to repeat it for the upteenth time :)

....lenses...check!!!

I'm going to try to digest what you have written here, and correct my info above using what you have spoken of. I hope in this way that when newbies like myself come here, this can act as a go to doc where things are written so as to not need repeating in every 20th post or question. There may be such a post already in circulation though. If so, please point me at it so I can remove this one and study that one.

Last edited:
Before you changed your post you asked about the different audio positions. I'm going to really simplify...

Production Sound Crew

Production Sound Mixer (PSM)- Leads the production sound team. S/he is responsible for monitoring the audio while the scene is being shot, and may adjust levels to account for level extremes - whispers, screams, etc. S/he wires up the talent with lavs, working in conjunction with wardrobe and H/MU. S/he is also responsible for the mix sent to the video village, camera op, director, etc. and the mix/dub for the editor(s). Works directly with the 1st AD and the Director.

Boom-Op

"Swings" the boom that has the appropriate mic on the end, and continuously makes positioning adjustments for optimum dialog pick-up. S/he also wires up the talent with lavs.

Audio Assistant (AKA Cable Wrangler)

Is a general go'fer for the production sound team. Keeps the sound logs, keeps the boom cable from making noise (hence "cable wrangler") and whatever else the PSM and Boom-Op want him/her to do. May sometimes swing a second boom. Keeps track of all communications equipment. (The sound team provides bull-horns, walkie-talkies, headphone distribution and other comm gear.) May also be responsible for "confiscated" cell phones, etc.

Audio Post Production Team

Supervising Sound Editor

Basically the "manager" for the audio post team. Some are very hands-on (like Randy Thom and Ben Burtt) and some are just supervisors.

Sound Designer

Responsible for the overall sound of the film (not including the score, although s/he may interact with the composer) similar to how the DP/Cinematographer is responsible for the look of the film. The sound designer may or may not be the supervising sound editor.

Dialog Editor

Edits the production sound dialog. S/he fixes problems with the dialog (extraneous transient noises), may replace single words, or may select entire dialog alternate takes for a variety of reasons - intelligibility, a better performance, too much noise, etc. Also edits the ADR (Automated Dialog Replacement) into the final dialog dub.

ADR Mixer

Records the ADR performances.

ADR Editor

Edits the ADR performances. May or may not be the ADR mixer.

Foley Walker/Artist

Performs footsteps, kisses, fighting, cloth, hands, props and dozens of other things involving "human" movement. Foley artists also add to sound effects (such as adding small debris sounds after a crash or explosion).

Foley Mixer

Records the Foley performances

Foley Editor

Edits the Foley performance. May or may not be the Foley mixer.

Sound Effects Field Team

Records sounds specifically for the film. They get to have the most fun. They may drop a punching bag from three stories up to create body falls, or smash glass, or drop logs on dirt (dinosaur/King Kong footsteps), or record vehicles, aircraft, weapons, etc.

Sound Effects Editor

Edits the sound effects from the field team and from libraries into the time line.

Re-Recording Mixer

Takes all of the audio elements - dialog, Foley, sound effects, score & source music and mixes it into a cohesive whole. There may be several re-recording mixers. The department keys (dialog, Foley, sound effects) may be present during the mix, may work as re-recording mixers or may do pre-dubs. The supervising sound editor and/or the sound designer may or may not be the (or one of) the rerecording mixer.

There are various assistants and, of course, the invaluable data wranglers and machine room operators.

For mega-budget films there may be as many as 50 on the audio post team. At the other end there are "one-man-band" shops like myself that do all of the above jobs.

Last edited:
Alcove...I did indeed ask before changing my post.
I changed it because I found that you had already written an entire blog on sound and I felt like a prat making you repeat yourself when all it took was me to open my eyes to find your answers there already.

Would you mind if I added this into my post above?

I hope in this way that when newbies like myself come here, this can act as a go to doc where things are written so as to not need repeating in every 20th post or question.

If only we had stickies! :)

Oh, you also forgot the colourist! Whilst perhaps a bit more elevated than the bare-bones 'basics' - the colourist is the guy/gal who's going to take your log-space or raw mush and make it as beautiful as you lit it on set (and in many cases more beautiful!).

Metro that's some bad luck. Obviously I don't have all the answers or even necessarily any. Sorry to hear your camera guy was a let down.

Thanks, it can be a lonely and unsympathetic business being in charge of a film's production. :cry:

I'm just not going to ever assume or take the chance that because someone is really good at one thing, they will be good at another thing. I don't think I would work with a photographer, just because they took a few good photos. I wanna see some film/video before I commit next time.

Thanks, it can be a lonely and unsympathetic business being in charge of a film's production. :cry:

I'm just not going to ever assume or take the chance that because someone is really good at one thing, they will be good at another thing. I don't think I would work with a photographer, just because they took a few good photos. I wanna see some film/video before I commit next time.

Yes. I would prefer to see video footage first also, but as an indie film maker, we don't always have the luxury of having even one competent film photographer with samples, come along. Where I live, I haven't had a single one yet come forward that has done actual video work so I have to take what I can get. In saying that, I can't help be painfully aware that if the video photographer is no good, then the rest falls down. Its a nervous time for me.

Sweetie, I've come to have a reasonable amount of respect for your posts so far. I would not take any offense if you picked out the parts you disagree with and tell us why.

Awww shucks... Thanks. That's the second nicest thing anyone has said to me all day.

Seems that I don't really need to mention anything about the camera or sound departments.

In post production, you usually want (especially if you have post audio) post production supervisor as someone knowledgeable with the process to design and coordinate the post production process. In post, an assistant editor and in production a data wrangler are also important duties. Even if you don't have dedicated people to the task, knowing who's responsible for the tasks.

Where you're missing is the production department itself. Even at the lowest level, you need someone to carry out the tasks required of the positions or you're going to end up in production hell. On this list are the First, second AD's (and so on), (If you have a strong and talented enough First AD, you can run a production with a relatively inexperienced director - it kind of shows you how important a great First AD really is) Production Coordinator, Production Manager, Location Manager, Location Scout and so on.

Caterer. "An army marches on its stomach" is the saying. Outside an extremely disorganized shoot, there is one thing that will bring a production to its knees and it's lack or or poor food.

Script Supervisor / Continuity. [someone insert info here]

Then what's the point of making a film if it has no market? This comes down to marketing. From the Stills Photographer, the poster/promo image maker guy, publicist all the way up to the producer to organize the best distribution plan for the project.

When you jump up in levels of productions, transportation is a department all to itself, starting from the Transport Captain and Transport Coordinator all the way down to the drivers.

What about the money? Executive Producer? What about Crowd Funding Coordinator (Surely that a position now days?)

There are other positions that are also important. It just shows how intricate a film production can be to do it professionally and why it costs so much money.

For your director part:
He keeps everybody updated on what is coming next, and keeps the ball rolling smoothly to progress the film.

No. Just no. That's the role of the AD Department, most notably the First AD.

He is not skilled in any given area but understands the jobs of all the others and what they need to do it, pushing them on when necessary and getting out of their way when needed to allow them to do it.

A director that is skilled in areas is a benefit, though their effective communication of their vision is more important.

A lot of the rest of what you mention in your director description can be true of some directors, though it's not necessary (or at times, even desirable). On a film set, the Director is the captain of the ship, barking orders to set the ship to where it's needed to go. The captain isn't the ship Councillor, so getting people in their right head space, while helpful, isn't necessary. Those tasks often fall on to department heads, First AD, Producers and/or agents.

The Script part:
Scripts can change, even during shooting. They can even change in post production. One thing to be aware of is just because someone says it's bad, doesn't mean it's bad. Just because a professional doesn't understand it, it's bad. From what I've heard, studio executives at Warner Brothers were paraphrased, "I don't understand your script, but important people tell me we have to make it"

There are four more points.
1) There are countless books on this subject that go very deep into details. I cannot think of a single book that captured the essence of how movies are made. I doubt a thread will be able to do more than scratch the surface.
2) Each production is different. Each director is different. Each Producer is different. It does mean that each production is handled differently. It's going to be hard to discuss the different permutations as a lot of them are people's particular point of view. Everything I've mentioned here is just from my point of view.
3) What's needed changes with what stage of your filmmaking career you are at. (For instance, the more people you have on set, the more important a dedicated AD Department becomes - you always need good cat herders)
4) While not every position needs an individual attached to it full time, each function will need to be covered or ignored. At the amateur position, you're going to ignore more from ignorance than from choice.

Yea, I hear you. The more I look into this, the more I realize how pointless this post is as it will only ever scratch the surface, and is wrong in parts as soon as you start getting any more then a few people involved.

wheres the delete button?

Why delete it? Even if it just stops right here (and I'm not suggesting it should), it's still served a purpose - a springboard into even more areas to research, after checking out what's here now.

Regardless, it looks like you've done a great deal of reading so far. Any plans on putting that all info into a production? :)

Why delete it? Even if it just stops right here (and I'm not suggesting it should), it's still served a purpose - a springboard into even more areas to research, after checking out what's here now.

Regardless, it looks like you've done a great deal of reading so far. Any plans on putting that all info into a production? :)

Yes I am shooting my first film this year. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through the forums here, and am now starting on the blogs. I have enjoyed certain video series on youtube to do with making indie films, but this site has allowed me to see different things debated which gives me time to properly digest, research, and consider what different people are saying. Plus I can ask questions which help me clarify or query things, and as a bonus, on posts that I do have an answer for, I can give something back by giving my best reply.

However I feel that on this post I have come unstuck. I did not write it with a broad enough knowledge, and now that I understand how broad the topic of different roles are, I feel like not only have I stuffed up some of my own points, but I risk wasting the readers valuable time with my post when I am aware of (and have now linked to) a wiki page that explains far more then I have here, in a better way, with information that does not need correcting or adding to as mine does.

wheres the delete button?

However I feel that on this post I have come unstuck. I did not write it with a broad enough knowledge, and now that I understand how broad the topic of different roles are, I feel like not only have I stuffed up some of my own points, but I risk wasting the readers valuable time with my post when I am aware of (and have now linked to) a wiki page that explains far more then I have here, in a better way, with information that does not need correcting or adding to as mine does.

Hobblecock! (Like that term, I just made it up!) Unlike many other posters, you've gone well beyond what most beginners do on forums. You've gone out on a limb and not only made a post that has sparked a discussion, you weren't lazy. You didn't expect everyone else to do the work for you, like the typical "What are the roles in a movie?" question.

It's a good launching pad, though not complete with some of the further options for further discussion...

For instance, Security to keep undesirables away from the trucks/vehicles/set, particularly if you have any names on your prodction or even when the set is left overnight to stop vandals from halting production.

There's lots to think about depending on what you're shooting.

Back