• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Movie idea. Opinions need please!!

Movie idea. Opinions needed please!!

Hey everyone, its been I haven't been on here for almost two years! The reason is I just kind of gave up on the whole making movie scene. I just wasn't as motivated and wanted to focus on other personal stuff. BUT I have been thinking about a few ideas lately and one of them I am going to share with you. I wanted to get your guys opinion on it cause I am not sure if a movie has already been made like the idea I have.

****MOVIE IDEA/CONCEPT****

A down and out guy living in a big city. Dead end job with no excitement in his life. Yet he is a pretty good looking fellow. Mid-late 20s. As he usually does everyday, he goes on a walk in a park. And today he saw something that caught his attention. A woman. She is sitting on a bench overlooking the city. And he does what he does best, keeps on walking. He has no confidence in himself. So weeks go by and he keeps seeing this girl at the same spot. He would smile at her without her noticing. Until this one particular Saturday cloudy morning. He finally was going to talk to her. As he is about to approach her she turns around and takes his hand and tells him run. She runs away and he is standing there confused.

Basically he meets this woman who is wanted by the CIA for something she didn't do. And they go on the run to find answers of what is really going on.

So there is the premise of it. I just think there are a lot of movies out there like that. And one movie comes to mind is Salt with Angelina Jolie. I don't want to write something that's already out there. Just seeing what everyone thinks about the idea. I really would love to write this. I have been thinking about this idea for awhile. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Welcome back.

What you have here is a set up, not a concept or a premise. You give
us about 15 sentences telling what doesn't happen: he spends weeks
doing nothing. No story there.

So...

Your concept/premise starts with “they go on the run”. Not the weeks
of this guy NOT talking to her. It actually makes no sense that this woman
who is wanted by the CIA spends weeks sitting on a bench so your set
up doesn't work. What is your story?

There have been many movies about people on the run from various
agencies/governments/organizations/people. Why she is running and why
he helps her is your movie idea/concept/premise.

A friend says, "Let's go see a movie." You ask, "Which one?" He says,
"That one that is basically about a guy who meets a girl in a park who is
on the run from the CIA for something she didn't do and they find out
what's really going on." Do you want to see that?

What is your STORY? What is going to make people want to see your
movie? Certainly not a story about a guy who walks past a girl in a park
for weeks without saying anything too her. I suggest you drop the
background and set up and tell us what your concept is.

So one day the guy is walking through the park. He notices a woman sitting on a bench staring at the big city. He nervously looks over to her and she catches him and smiles. He keeps walking cause he doesn't know what to say. Couple weeks later he sees her in the spot and finally talks to her. They talk for hours. From there they go to dinner and you can just the chemistry between them. He is talking and laughing when he is usually the one not to talk or laugh since he shy around woman. And she is freaking gorgeous. Beautiful.

So couple months go by and they are dating. He is a new person. Finally got that promotion at work even though his boss is a jerk. And he is dating the girl of his dreams. Everything seems to be finally working out for him. Then Saturday morning came. He wakes up gets his cup of coffee and precedes to call he girlfriend. She doesn't answer. Okay no worries. He goes about his morning, showers, dressed and ready for the day. Calls her again, but still no answer. He leaves her a voice message telling her he is going to the park to meet her like they usually do every weekend. He goes to the park but no sign of her. He starts to worry a little bit. Calls and nothing. He goes about his day still waiting for a call back. Finally he goes to her apartment which overlooks the city. She isn't there. Now he really is worried. Leaves her another voice message and tell her to meet him at the park tomorrow and that he hopes everything is okay. Just to call him back.

Sunday morning comes around. This time he is hurrying up to get to the park. THERE SHE IS!! She is sitting at the same spot they met. He runs to her but before he can speak she gets up and grabs his hand. She asks him if they were to leave today, that he wouldn't question her. He agrees but very confused on what is going on. They go back to her place to gather stuff. He is confused and asking her to explain. Before she can speak the big window overlooking the city shatters. Bullets start flying everywhere! They start running out of the building. She looks like a natural like this has happened to her more than once. While he is nervously crouching down scared out of his mind. **NOTE**He has never experienced this much action in his life. This is all new to him. So after a little rumble and tumble the get away and drive off. He is freaking out and she calms him down and finally tells him her secret. She use to work for the CIA. And her parents before her.

So that's all I got so far. I know her family has to do with her being chased by the CIA but I don't what they did for them to go after her. Still trying to gather my ideas and put them together. Thanks

I feel like that story has definitely been done before. Reminds me of Eagle Eye and other similar films. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it though. Just find a way to give it an original spin.

Also, sounds like you're still primarily just explaining the first act. The set up. What happens in Act 2 and Act 3? Why is the CIA after her? Is he willing to look past it? What implications does it have on him for supporting someone wanted by the CIA? Is he throwing his life away? Is she worth it?

The hardest part could be the ending as it sounds like it could easily end with a cliche. She's totally innocent and accidentally saw something she wasn't supposed to and now they're after her. etc etc etc.

I think the most original angle you could take is that she is wanted by the CIA because she did do something bad. Maybe she committed treason knowingly. And he then has to choose between her or his country. Or something like that.

Just some thoughts though. Good luck with it! ;)

I feel like that story has definitely been done before. Reminds me of Eagle Eye and other similar films. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it though. Just find a way to give it an original spin.

Also, sounds like you're still primarily just explaining the first act. The set up. What happens in Act 2 and Act 3? Why is the CIA after her? Is he willing to look past it? What implications does it have on him for supporting someone wanted by the CIA? Is he throwing his life away? Is she worth it?

The hardest part could be the ending as it sounds like it could easily end with a cliche. She's totally innocent and accidentally saw something she wasn't supposed to and now they're after her. etc etc etc.

I think the most original angle you could take is that she is wanted by the CIA because she did do something bad. Maybe she committed treason knowingly. And he then has to choose between her or his country. Or something like that.

Just some thoughts though. Good luck with it! ;)

That's what I am trying to figure out lol. I just know basically the first act. I need to figure out act2&3.

Hey everyone, its been I haven't been on here for almost two years! The reason is I just kind of gave up on the whole making movie scene. I just wasn't as motivated and wanted to focus on other personal stuff. BUT I have been thinking about a few ideas lately and one of them I am going to share with you. I wanted to get your guys opinion on it cause I am not sure if a movie has already been made like the idea I have.

****MOVIE IDEA/CONCEPT****

A down and out guy living in a big city. Dead end job with no excitement in his life. Yet he is a pretty good looking fellow. Mid-late 20s. As he usually does everyday, he goes on a walk in a park. And today he saw something that caught his attention. A woman. She is sitting on a bench overlooking the city. And he does what he does best, keeps on walking. He has no confidence in himself. So weeks go by and he keeps seeing this girl at the same spot. He would smile at her without her noticing. Until this one particular Saturday cloudy morning. He finally was going to talk to her. As he is about to approach her she turns around and takes his hand and tells him run. She runs away and he is standing there confused.

Basically he meets this woman who is wanted by the CIA for something she didn't do. And they go on the run to find answers of what is really going on.

So there is the premise of it. I just think there are a lot of movies out there like that. And one movie comes to mind is Salt with Angelina Jolie. I don't want to write something that's already out there. Just seeing what everyone thinks about the idea. I really would love to write this. I have been thinking about this idea for awhile. Thanks everyone!

First of all, welcome back! Both to IT and to filmmaking. I totally understand how you could just stop making movies. I've been there. I like to call it "filmmaker block". It's like writer's block, but for filmmakers. Mine recently ended. Doesn't it feel great to be working on your craft again?!

So, to your idea. directorik is right -- you haven't outlined a story, you've outlined a setup. You gave us the first act, but nothing of the 2nd or 3rd. The 2nd act is the most important, as far as story development is concerned. The 2nd act is the meat and potatoes of the film. People don't go to restaurants for the appetizers. They go to restaurants for the meat and potatoes. So your meat and potatoes better be the best around.

I'm just spit-balling here, but what if she's actually a CIA agent? And the reason he keeps seeing her is because she's been tracking him. She only pretends to not see him. And maybe he never gets the guts to approach her. She approaches him, and that's when she grabs his hand instructing him to run. Because of her position in the CIA, she hot on the case of some nefarious plot that involves him, because of his technical expertise in some thing.

Sorry, that's not much. Just spit-balling, haha. And that's still only the setup. Ya gotta figure out what the nefarious plot is, and how he's involved. That's the story.

I quite like the premise as it is so far. I would personally "kill off" the woman (quotation marks because she survives) and then the guy goes back to his old ways. He walks through the park, looks at the place he used to see her, does so for a few weeks. A couple of months later, there's someone sat on the bench. A woman. THE woman. She's changd her hair colour, wears a big etc. She smiles at him and he smiles back. End on his smile.

That still gives you a lot of ground to cover with Act 2 and most of Act 3, but I usually find when I have a beginning and an end, the middle becomes easier to work out.

Back