• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Motives for mass hatred!

Hey all,

I'm currently working through some ideas for my first feature, it's all completely up in the air. Anyway, a brief one but i was looking for suggestions on why someone would have a vendetta again a place, as opposed to a person. It can be as zany as we like, i'm going for a surreal film.

So far i'm thinking memories of a tormented youth spent in whatever the place may be... but i'm pretty stumped.

adding to your idea, the guy could be on drugs and stumbling through the closed in streets and alleys of the city/urban centre, the buildings, structures and statues could seem to close in on him even further and almost tower over him, they could almost be human, laughing, mocking, and taunting him which reminds him of how people used to tower over him when he was younger. The possibilites are endless with drugs like acid or shrooms involved.

Another one could be a guy with ancestory native to the country it takes place in (mayan/america, aboriginal/australia). He goes on a camping trip with friends and somehow "reconnects" with his ancestors, either through drugs (again!), ritual or whatever and realises that this is the place that his ancestors were brutally slaughtered. So first he takes vengeance out on his friends on behalf of his ancestors, then goes on a murderous rampage throughout the country side with no remorse?

Or, your guy doesnt know why he hates this place, but later he figures out somehow that in another life, this is the place he performed something terrible: Mass murder, rape, sacrifice? (all 3 combinded? Could be lots of religious undertones here)

I dunno, Just a couple of quick ideas, hopefully someone can come in and build off them and turn them half decent.

haha, some awesome idea's there.

I will definitely be going with the drug theme, i want to set it in Britain and i want to show how us british youths really do spend our time! I'm fixated on the idea of the protagonist burning down a church, this would be awesome but a nightmare to get location release forms sorted!

Cracker, a good idea which is a very unreasonable motive for killing towns folk, i like it!

Gibbo, i like the idea of the protag having some history at the place. Maybe he could be trying to cleanse the town through mass destruction? In fact i think i'm onto something now...

I have nothing to say. I just like your avatar.

Thanks! Donnie Darko is my favourite film, it's not some cool unknown film that makes me look badass, it's just the perfect film for me.

On that note, does anyone have any suggestions of films that have the same sort of ambience and style as Darko? I've yet to find anything that comes close, the soundtrack is unbeatable in my opinion. Please don't say S.Darko :P

But seriously. Your protagonist could simply be a misanthrope or a sociopath.

Otherwise, I think there are many examples of this in cinema.

I'm thinking of movies like High Plains Drifter. The town aided and abetted his murder. Now, he's returned to punish the town.

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3842836249/

So, what motivates someone to hate a whole town? Murder? Abuse?

There's the old, the town tortured and murdered the witch trope. Now, she's back for revenge. Or, how about something like Freddy Krueger?

haha, some awesome idea's there.

I will definitely be going with the drug theme, i want to set it in Britain and i want to show how us british youths really do spend our time! I'm fixated on the idea of the protagonist burning down a church, this would be awesome but a nightmare to get location release forms sorted!

Cracker, a good idea which is a very unreasonable motive for killing towns folk, i like it!

Gibbo, i like the idea of the protag having some history at the place. Maybe he could be trying to cleanse the town through mass destruction? In fact i think i'm onto something now...

For a burning church you could just film the church for a few seconds then add flames later coming out the windows and what not, then cut to a medium shot (from the church POV) of the protagonist and shine orange flickering lights on him for a few more seconds, then cut to the protag waking up the next morning. Dream or real life?

But seriously. Your protagonist could simply be a misanthrope or a sociopath.

Otherwise, I think there are many examples of this in cinema.

I'm thinking of movies like High Plains Drifter. The town aided and abetted his murder. Now, he's returned to punish the town.

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3842836249/

So, what motivates someone to hate a whole town? Murder? Abuse?

There's the old, the town tortured and murdered the witch trope. Now, she's back for revenge. Or, how about something like Freddy Krueger?

I was thinking High plains drifter, great movie. Another one relevant to this thread and that seems to be inspired by high plains drifter is the aussie movie Red Hill, great movie - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1530983/

Back