Motivational and inspiring

I just finished reading Robert Rodriguez's book, Rebel Without a Crew, and I actually really enjoyed it. I found it very inspiring and motivational as well. It made me want to pick up my camera and start shooting ANYTHING. Anyone read this before or have another book or article to share?

Rebel Without A Crew should be required reading for anyone going into filmmaking. Though I don't recommend the lab rat part of it :lol:

I don't know any filmmakers who haven't read it or who don't own it...

-- spinner :cool:

I really like to hear the personal stories from directors. Lights a fire under my ass when needed. Wish there were more books out there like RWAC. I guess I'll have to do with special features DVD's in the meantime...

I am not the biggest fan of the Reelz channel, but they do have a good show called "Directors". They do one hour on a particular director with interviews from the director and the actors he worked with. I missed the day they did Rodriguez and Kevin Smith.

I have seen them do Cassavettes, Lumet, Milos Forman(one flew over the cuckoos nest and amadeus) and a couple more..

Last edited:
I've never actually read that Rodriguez book, but I hear lots of good things about it. :)

One book that I've found extremely useful is The Guerilla Film Makers Handbook, which has interviews with hundreds of off-screen filmmakers. You name the position, they'll have a page or two of interviews with working people/companies doing it.

Not sure what a 1st AD does? It's in there. Production Designer? It's in there, too. Thoughts & opinions from scores of people & companies, explaining what they do (and how to work with them) from the outsider's pov. It's probably not good for those already working professionally in the industry, but for the indie filmmaker it's worth it's weight in gold.

Plain, straight-forward talk from those in the biz, essentially answering questions from "newbs" - in a friendly (and non-condescending) manner. (The last quarter gets a bit bogged down with personal stories from the authors, but that's kinda interesting too)

_______

There's another book, too, called Nuts and Bolts Filmmaking, which is basically a "how-to" for DIY no-budget filmmakers.

If you have $10 in your pocket (and know the way to your local hardware store), this book has illustrated directions on how to DIY-build all kinds of handy equipment. You're not going to end up with top-of-the-line indutry gear, but it will lay out how to fake the next best thing, for a minimal amount of money.

Pretty much everything is this book is easily found on the 'net (including many DIY guides written here on IndieTalk), but at times it's handy to have a whole bunch of material at the fingertips.

There's a few projects in the book I wouldn't touch (mainly the ones that deal with electrical wiring - I don't need a head of hair that resembles Don King), but there ought to be useful material in there for anyone looking to "McGyver" something.

_______

On a totally unrelated note - most people I talk to seem to like the "commentary" tracks, that many DVDs have these days. Personally, I find them really irritating - but I've suffered through a couple, when I've had film-buddies over to watch something.

Anyone else find those entertaining/useful/helpful/inspiring in any way?

In my last project, I was asked to do a commentary for my segment. I told them to get bent. :blush:

I've got a book called "Digital Filmmaking for Teens" I like that one alot.

I like commentary tracks, but only because you can find real neat nuggets in there... most of it is name-dropping drivel though. There are some that I really like, Rodriguez does great commentary, Fincher does great commentary. Some I listen to just becuase I really like the people who they have do them (rush hours were fun). I don't buy 1-disk movies anymore, I get the extended super sets with all the BTS stuff... my favorite is the 3 disk "Panic Room" set, great stuff, lens comparisons, lighting tests, costume/makeup tests, sfx tests.

As far as commentary tracks, I've only seen a couple. I think the last one I watched was PT Anderson on Boogie Nights. I guess I need to look for those more...

Thanks for throwing in the panic room set. I'm a big fan, gonna definitely check that out.

I think RR is the real deal. I really enjoyed his book too. Another one I really enjoyed was Making Movies by Sidney Lumet. A lot of interesting stories in there.

I've never actually read that Rodriguez book, but I hear lots of good things about it. :)

Rodriguez' book isn't so much about how to make a film as it is about perseverance, determination, knowing what you want and thinking on your feet. He makes the most of his ideas and was a quick thinker. If something went wrong, he came up with a way to remedy the situation. He didn't buy his camera, he borrowed one, that sort of thing.

Often it is easy to get discouraged, Rebel Without A Crew is about sticking to your guns so to speak. :D

If you are looking for that book to tell you how to set camera angles, its the wrong book to get.

I loved Rebel Without a Crew because he makes it seem so goddamn easy.

I want to look for lab rat opportunities in Pittsburgh.

Rebel Without A Crew teaches you one solid principle that is absolute *CRUCIAL* to being an indie filmmaker...

PERSISTENCE GATHERS RESULTS!

If you continually apply yourself and work hard at your craft, and never give up, you will eventually see some fruits of your labor. You can't be timid or shy, you have to get out there, get in peoples faces, film your movie any way you can, use any equipment at your disposal.

What's the worst someone is gonna say? "I don't like your film."

Luckily for you, the odds are in your favor. Unless you're staring the camera at the grass for 30 minutes, probability says at least a chunk of people WILL like it. :)

Anyone read this before or have another book or article to share?

FANTASTIC BOOK that one. Best part to me was knowing that he had an "in" with ICM (International Creative Management) via the Texas Film Commissioner, and they orchestrated his entire success. Most people miss that part of the book....

I also love IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE by Walter Murch.

FILM DIRECTING SHOT BY SHOT by Steven Katz

BOOKS: "Extreme DV at Used-Car Prices: How to Write, Direct, Shoot, Edit, and Produce a Digital Video Feature for LessThan $3,000" by Rick Schmidt

"The Conversations: Walter Murch and The Art of Editing Film" by Michael Ondaatje

"This is Orson Welles" by Welles and Peter Bogdanovich"

FILMS: "Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse," the making of Apocalypse Now (as enthralling as the actual film)

"Orson Welles: The One Man Band" which is the second disc of the Criterion Collection "F for Fake"

Back