• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Motion Tracking?

I noticed Sony Vegas doesn't have a motion tracking feature. It has tack motion, which isn't very helpful.

I tried using after effects motion tracking, and oh boy do I fail so badly with that program

any solutions?

As far as I know, true motion tracking would have to be done with specific hardware...you rent out studios for this. And I don't know a single in my area...there are several green screens, but no mo-cap.

Wait...are you talking about in compositing? I'm sorry...ummm...I think the software you want is Mocha?

As far as I know, true motion tracking would have to be done with specific hardware...you rent out studios for this. And I don't know a single in my area...there are several green screens, but no mo-cap.

Wait...are you talking about in compositing? I'm sorry...ummm...I think the software you want is Mocha?

You might be thinking of motion control rigs, which are as complicated as they are expensive. Motion capture is another thing entirely, and is usually used to animate 3D characters with the motion of an actor. 2D and 3D motion tracking can be done on any decent, modern home computer with the necessary software.

I have absolutely no clue what I am doing on it, and each and every tutorial I look at confused me even more. I think I am just really unfamiliar with it.

AE can get fairly complex quickly.

Every few years I take a class in it at the local community college, mainly to get familiar with the newer upgrades that are available. The classes are not college-credit, but more like night-school for adults looking to learn/improve new skills. There's no reason why you couldn't take courses like that too, even though you're fairly young. There's been teens in some of the classes I've taken.

Before that, though, read up on what the real differences are between editing software and motion-graphic software... 'cos while they do have some similar qualities, they are very different tools.

Um, I don't have the software sitting in front of me at the moment, so I could be remembering wrong. But I'm pretty sure the last time I used Vegas (which was less than half a year ago), I was impressed with the ease of use of their camera-stabilizing feature. I hope I'm remembering correctly, cuz if I am, I think you just haven't yet found what is in there.

AE can get fairly complex quickly.

Every few years I take a class in it at the local community college, mainly to get familiar with the newer upgrades that are available. The classes are not college-credit, but more like night-school for adults looking to learn/improve new skills. There's no reason why you couldn't take courses like that too, even though you're fairly young. There's been teens in some of the classes I've taken.

Before that, though, read up on what the real differences are between editing software and motion-graphic software... 'cos while they do have some similar qualities, they are very different tools.

I like the classes thing. I learned a lot about HTML and webpage stuff when I was about 13 at a community college, so I know they are effective. I will look around my area for them. I learn a lot better like that, instead of crawling through the internet finding what I want...

I never realized that AE wasn't a video editing tool! I never looked at it and used it in person until two days ago. And I was so confused, I would have never been able to notice.

Thanks for the clarification!

Back