Most popular sites for casting?

What are the most actor-packed sites for finding talent in LA? Backstage / Actor's Access? NowCasting? Craig's List?

Last edited:
All of the ones that you mentioned, and whatever other sources you can come up with. Most of your applicants that you will receive from ANY source are really qualified to be "models" but not actors...they have no acting experience but feel that they are talented actors none the less. As you look at their resume, you are looking for actual "speaking" roles. Many beginning actors have done a dozen films as an "extra" but have never delivered a line of dialogue. HOWEVER, does this person have a lot of "theatre" experience...maybe the lead in some live theatrical productions. Terrific! Or maybe a beginner who has taken a lot of acting classes, showing that they are SERIOUS about acting. I've overstepped the bounds of your original question, but you will get "crap" applicants from whereever you place an ad. Be prepared.

Be prepared.
I produced a 90 minute movie about 15 years ago. About 85% to 90% of actors couldn't act or just didn't look the part.
The people who had done theater were definitely a cut above the rest.
Back then I would get 200 submissions for a role from NowCasting. Nowadays about 5 submissions. Not sure if the site is dead now or maybe $100 is not enough pay or maybe people don't want to be associated with a short that mocks Democrats. That's taboo in this town.

Thank you Rayandmigdalia, I completely forgot about mandy.com!
I'm starting to look around to cast for a 'no-budget' promo shoot/mood reel in next spring. I'll give them a whirl but not sure what response I'll get when they find out it's expenses, food and travel only?!?!

Thank you CelticRambler always looking for any recommendations where is your actress based? (it's not you is it 😉)

I'll give them a whirl but not sure what response I'll get when they find out it's expenses, food and travel only?!?!

I can't speak for the UK (I'm on the east coast of the US), but here there are plenty of actors willing to do that. Some will be just starting out and eager to get a clip for their reel, but some may be between gigs and up for it if it's just a 1 day shoot.

Just be sure that you're up front in the post.

Last edited:
Thank you CelticRambler always looking for any recommendations where is your actress based? (it's not you is it 😉)

Nope, not me ... but I may have been partially responsible for giving her a taste for the performing arts! She's currently based in Canterbury, but not afraid to travel - especially if it gives her good material to add to her portfolio. Bare-bones IMDb page here ; in-character footage here (in the role of Jamie, [script, sound and lighting not her responsibility! :scared:] )

I've often wondered about how to go about achieving this too. I'm in Scotland, and when I type "film castings" on Google, it just comes up with links to extras agencies, and that's it. That's total BS if you want to gain a genuine acting job. It's almost like you already need to have friends in high places, or something. Does anybody know where in Edinburgh you can get an agent that looks for work on your behalf? How can I become an actual actor if I'm just a 'mobile prop' ("background actor") in everything I may appear in?

Last edited:
Back