• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

More audio question

I tend to ask a lot of audio questions here, but I think these will be my last ones. Thanks in advance.

If these are the specs I'm shooting for:

Audio must have 8 channels of audio
-5.1 – L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs / PCM Little Endian
-Ch. 7 stereo left, Ch. 8 stereo right / PCM Little Endian

Does this mean they are giving me the choice of 5.1 surround OR stereo?
Why would the 5.1 need all 8 channels? Would 7 and 8 just be empty?
If I choose stereo, why are they channels 7/8 rather than 1/2?
Does anyone have high res screenshots of what a 5.1 audio timeline looks like?

haha that makes a lot more sense. I just didn't know it was possible to have both. I'm now wondering how you would deliver that kind of format and how theatres can read channels set up that way.

I'm now wondering how you would deliver that kind of format and how theatres can read channels set up that way.

The audio is baked into the DCP. The spec allows for up to 16 channels.

I'm not finding anything that indicates L/R Stereo should be on channels 7 & 8 though. What I see for the recommendation for those channels is hearing and visually impaired tracks. But it's just a recommendation, not a hard rule.

That recommendation is from this document from 2011 though, perhaps there's a newer recommendation:
http://isdcf.com/ISDCF/Audio_Channels_16.html

Last edited:
I just didn't know it was possible to have both. I'm now wondering how you would deliver that kind of format and how theatres can read channels set up that way.

What you have listed is part of a distributor's/broadcaster's/aggregator's delivery requirements/specs, not what is actually played in a cinema. You cannot put stereo audio on an Interop or SMPTE DCP, the minimum audio channel count allowable is 3 (L, R, C), although in practise the minimum expectation is 5.1. The reason distributors/broadcasters/aggregators require both 5.1 and stereo is for different purposes, for example, broadcasting on both a HD channel (with 5.1) and an SD channel (in stereo), or, screening with a DCP (5.1) in a cinema and/or screening in the foyer on a TV (stereo).

The reason why 8 tracks are listed is mainly historical, professional audio post delivery format for broadcast used to be 8 track tapes (Tascam DA88/DA98 used to be extremely common), Hi-8 tapes formatted for audio. Today when they list 8 tracks (5.1 + Stereo), it would normally be delivered as either a Polywav, Quicktime file or as just 8 individual wav files. Most commercial distributors/broadcasters will have a much longer/more complex audio specification list which in addition to just 5.1 and stereo mixes will require M&E mix (or mixes), stem mixes, etc.

G

very helpful, thanks guys

Today when they list 8 tracks (5.1 + Stereo), it would normally be delivered as either a Polywav, Quicktime file or as just 8 individual wav files.
G

If I had a quicktime file with those 8 audio tracks, and I played it with Quicktime or VLC, how would the audio come out on my computer? Are those programs able to separate the tracks or would it play everything at once in a giant mess?

Last edited:
If I had a quicktime file with those 8 audio tracks, and I played it with Quicktime or VLC, how would the audio come out on my computer? Are those programs able to separate the tracks or would it play everything at once in a giant mess?

As APE said, this is a delivery spec. That means that the distributor will use those channels to generate several different playback files for different outlets. Some will be 5.1, some will be stereo. None will be playing back straight from the 8-channel delivery spec.

You can try to play a QT file with all 8 channels on your computer, but it won't be pretty. If you want to be able to watch the same movie on your own, you need to create a separate version with just the stereo mix.

With surround, just having the 6 channels does not mean that you can play it back in surround. Those channels have to be encoded for 5.1 surround payback, and the end product must be played back on a surround-capable system.

Last edited:
As APE said, this is a delivery spec. That means that the distributor will use those channels to generate several different playback files for different outlets. Some will be 5.1, some will be stereo. None will be playing back straight from the 8-channel delivery spec.

Yeah, I understood what he meant by that.

You can try to play a QT file with all 8 channels on your computer, but it won't be pretty. If you want to be able to watch the same movie on your own, you need to create a separate version with just the stereo mix.

I'm not actually trying to watch the movie on my own with all 8 tracks, but I asked the quicktime question because the answer might help me better understand what is actually going in with these tracks. Seems weird to me that a filmmaker might deliver a quicktime file with all 8 audio tracks. Maybe he meant 2 separate quicktime files?

With surround, just having the 6 channels does not mean that you can play it back in surround. Those channels have to be encoded for 5.1 surround payback, and the end product must be played back on a surround-capable system.

This is what I'm interested in learning more about. I'm also interested in getting a rough bullet point explanation of the process for creating 5.1 sound, something similar to this, excuse my ignorance:

- export audio stems from video editor (should these be mono or stereo?)
- set audio editor sequence settings for 5.1?
- load audio files on to appropriate designated tracks (are these mono or stereo?)
- ??? (is there room for additional creative mixing in this step or should it already be done?)
- export as some kind of 5.1 filetype?
- import to DCP project? (assuming that's the end goal)

5.1 audio is exported (after final mixing/etc) as 6 individual mono audio files, these are attached to the right channels within the DCP packaging software.

"... these are attached to the appropriate (correct, proper, applicable, pertinent) channels within the DCP packaging software."

I hate to be a terminology/grammar Nazi (well, not really), but when discussing audio channels using the word "right" (i.e. left and right channels) rather than a term like correct, appropriate, etc. can create some confusion - especially to our ESL (English as a Second Language) members.

5.1 audio is exported (after final mixing/etc) as 6 individual mono audio files, these are attached to the right channels within the DCP packaging software.

Ok, that makes sense. I think I was over thinking it.

I do plan to have a professional handle my 5.1 mix, but I'm the kind of person that likes to understand the whole process before contacting/meeting with someone I want to hire.

Ok, that makes sense. I think I was over thinking it.

I do plan to have a professional handle my 5.1 mix, but I'm the kind of person that likes to understand the whole process before contacting/meeting with someone I want to hire.

That's not a bad way to operate, makes it less easy for someone to sell you on some unnecessary upgrade. Like being charged to refill your blinker fluid when you go in for an oil change. :lol:

Seems weird to me that a filmmaker might deliver a quicktime file with all 8 audio tracks. Maybe he meant 2 separate quicktime files?

No, I meant a single quicktime file. To be honest, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned quicktime as an audio delivery format as it's relatively rare and only used in certain specific workflows. However, the same principle applies to polywavs and polywav is a quite common delivery format. It might seem like it's marginally easier to deliver 2 polywavs (a 5.1 polywav and a stereo one) but it's not. How do you tell the two polywavs apart without having different file names? And, if you do have two polywavs with different file names, you now have double the number of assets to manage and they have different names! Delivering the full mix assets as a single polywav keeps it nice and simple and maintains the tried and trusted professional workflow with which everyone is familiar because it goes back to the days of tape based workflows (where again 5.1 was on the first 6 tracks of the tape and the stereo mix was on 7 & 8).

I'm also interested in getting a rough bullet point explanation of the process for creating 5.1 sound, something similar to this, excuse my ignorance:

1 - export audio stems from video editor (should these be mono or stereo?)
2 - set audio editor sequence settings for 5.1?
3 - load audio files on to appropriate designated tracks (are these mono or stereo?)
4 - ??? (is there room for additional creative mixing in this step or should it already be done?)
5 - export as some kind of 5.1 filetype?
6 - import to DCP project? (assuming that's the end goal)

This is the usual professional workflow:

1. The Picture Editor exports an AAF or OMF. The AAF contains all the individual audio channels which were present in the Picture Editor's NLE, mono and stereo. The Picture Editor would not have created or exported any stems but would most likely have created a rough guide mix (which usually would be muxed with the video delivered to audio post rather than be part of the AAF).

2. The AAF is opened in the DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and the tracks organised/routed into stems, within a 5.1 audio session/s.

3. The format of each source channel depends on the source material. The production dialogue channels are mono because they were recorded in mono. Foley is usually mono, Sound Effects are mono, stereo or 5.1 and Atmospheres are usually 5.1 or stereo. This is not really any different to what you do now with your stereo mixes, you route your mono production dialogue tracks to a stereo mix buss, which allows you to pan and process your dialogue within the stereo sound-field.
The most simple professional 5.1 routing scheme would be:
A) A 5.0 DX stem, to which all the Production Dialogue, ADR and Room Tones channels are routed.
B) A 5.1 SFX stem, to which all the Production Sound Effects (PFX), Foley, Sound Effects and Atmospheres/Ambiances are routed, and
C) A 5.0 MX stem, to which all the music channels/splits are routed.
All these stems are then routed through to the full mix buss (5.1 obviously) and any other required mix busses (say a 5.1 M&E mix buss, a stereo mix buss, etc.).

4. When all the audio has been created/edited/sync'ed, each stem is mixed individually, this process is called the "Pre-Mix". Once the Pre-Mix is complete (all the stems have been mixed), the "Final Mix" takes place, which is where the stem pre-mixes are mixed together to produce the full mix (and any other required mixes). I realise that most DIY'ers, no/lo budget filmmakers usually don't mix to stems, don't have a Pre-Mix phase and instead mix straight through to a stereo buss and jump from the editing phase straight through to the Final Mix phase. This is obviously easier, quicker, requires less computing resources and can produce passable results for most self distribution platforms (and currently for some commercial VOD platforms) but it provides far less processing and mixing flexibility/options and makes it impossible to meet the audio delivery specs of most commercial distributors and broadcasters.

5. At the end of the final mix, all the stems, full mix and other required mixes are recorded (this process is called "Print-Mastering") to individual wav files, polywav/s or various other file formats, obviously dependent on the required deliverables.

6. In the case of 35mm film, the full mix (Print-Master) would be supplied to the film processing lab (in Dolby Digital and LtRt formats) and the other mixes/stem mixes supplied to the Producer. In the case of DCP, individual wav files (most commonly) of the full mix would be supplied to the DCP authoring facility (who would simply drag and drop the audio files into the DCP authoring software) and the other mixes again supplied to the Producer. In the case of TV, the various mixes would most likely be supplied back to the Video Editor (in whatever format requested by the Video Editor) who will create the final package of deliverables as specified by the broadcaster.

It's not a particularly straight forward process and is certainly a great deal less straight forward when working with 5.1 than with only stereo but I hope the info I've given helps rather than confuses you further?

G

APE helped me grock a 3.0 mix, along the way I discovered that ppro could export polywav files. one file with "n" number of channels.

There is free software to convert a polywave to an ac3 file, and you can remap the channels as part of the process. I.e. channel 1 = AC3 LS etc.. (https://code.google.com/p/wavtoac3encoder/)

ac3 can be muxed into your video without requiring a re-render of video.

Not sure if any of this applies to your situation, but maybe its useful..

Back