Monitor setup/choice for colour editing.

I remember reading somewhere at some point that certain monitors are better for editing and colour correcting then others because they are better calibrated in reference to colour.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized how important this is because even between my two laptop screens, and an external monitor, and my tv, the colour definitely differs if all of them are tested with the same picture.

So is there some sort of formula or process to set a screen up for true colour? or do we have to buy one that has been recommended by others?

Clearly this is a hugely important issue. How can one colour correct properly and competently if ones monitor is off key.

You usually start with a monitor made for the purpose. They are expensive. Very expensive.

Next, you usually get them calibrated by a person who calibrates those monitors.

Right, so for an indie film maker??? Is there anything we can do on the cheap or are we screwed on that one?
There is something you can do...

Make sure you calibrate your monitor - otherwise your colors and contrasts etc will likely be off.

Go on youtube and search:
  • Monitor Color Calibration
  • how to calibrate a monitor
I even bought a piece of hardware (about $140) to help me, but to be honest I found that I could calibrate it just as well using simple free calibration software.

The $300 Philips monitor I use for editing is not going to beat a $1,000+ pro editing monitor but at least after calibration I know it will be as accurate as it can be.

The best thing to do is get a proper, production monitor -the Flanders Scientific monitors are generally regarded as great for this purpose, but can run you over $5k+.

The next best thing is to get a small hardware box, like a Matrox, AJA or Blackmagic and use the calibration tools for that.

There is something you can do...

Make sure you calibrate your monitor - otherwise your colors and contrasts etc will likely be off.

Go on youtube and search:
  • Monitor Color Calibration
  • how to calibrate a monitor
I even bought a piece of hardware (about $140) to help me, but to be honest I found that I could calibrate it just as well using simple free calibration software.

The $300 Philips monitor I use for editing is not going to beat a $1,000+ pro editing monitor but at least after calibration I know it will be as accurate as it can be.

Awesome. I will look into that. cheers

Interesting.. I was just reading an article earlier this evening that's relevant to this discussion.

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/09/complete-guide-setting-up-home-color-grading-suite/

Specifically, the notes about 'The Environment'

The monitor is only one piece of the puzzle, and of course getting a good one, or several good ones is essential. But that's all for naught if you ignore the rest of the environment. Even a perfectly calibrated monitor won't do you much good in a room with yellow walls, for example.

I never even considered the colour of the wall...definite food for thought.

I am glad to see the screen I am looking at is up there on the list. Down and dirty I don't mind if it gets me closer to good results.

I do not own an apple mac so I guess it is going to involve building a Hackintosh to run this beasty. I will look online to find guides for building one of these on a budget.

Will upate as my research finds more on the topic.

You're probably better off getting a PC monitor, even if you go the hackintosh route. Unless you get an older cinema display that takes a DVI cable, in which case, you can run it with any OS so long as you've got a video card that gives you a DVI connection. :)

As for the newer thunderbolt cinema displays.. if you want to run one of those, buy a mac.

That said, there are options with very similar specs to the new thunderbolt apple cinema displays that'll run off a DVI connection. Personally I'm looking at some of the cheap ones from S. Korea. I could get two of them for about 2/3 the price of a new cinema display :D

As for hackintosh, I just built one last night. lol

Similar (but better) specs to this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-builds/120453-commas-haswell-ga-z87-d3hp-i5-4670k-amd-r9-270x.html

Aaah yea it is an older one I think.

Keep us posted if you find a reasonable Korean screen. Im not adverse to losing brand name if it does the job.

Will look properly at your Hackintosh build tomorrow. You're clearly about 5 steps ahead in the research etc then I am so Im grateful for any thoughts and advice you have.

dell u2410, why you need a super screen at this stage i dont know, are you making thousands every week? next you will try to be a colorist, you simply dont have the time, if a job required proper colouring hire a colourist, if it doesnt, then get the amatuer standard.

dell u2410, why you need a super screen at this stage i dont know, are you making thousands every week? next you will try to be a colorist, you simply dont have the time, if a job required proper colouring hire a colourist, if it doesnt, then get the amatuer standard.

I hope you have your cringe face at the ready because the short answer is....yes, I will try to be a colourist on my own movie...I know, its ungodly isn't it.

Unless your planning for distribution then choose the monitor i suggested you can get it cheap second hand, then get a calibration device, i use colormunki display but its a pain in the ass to use with windows 8, so maybe something newer.. You really don't need something high-end at this level

You want an IPS monitor. You can buy a proper screen meant for the job, but if on a budget, just make sure you get an ips. They are more expensive, but headway has been made in getting cheaper options there. Also, a quality cinema projector is very good, if you have one

Back