• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Modern Western Film, Outlaw Style

Okay, so I've decided the next piece I want to write is going to be a modern western. I have an idea of where I want to take it, but haven't started writing yet. This will be a dramatic action feature.

Some things I'm certain I'll want:
- Outlaw Perspective. This film's protagonist(s) will not be your clean cut heroes.
- Past and present link. I'm not sure if I'll just leave hints from the past discovered in the present, show two storylines (one past and one present), or just have an opening scene set in the past. What I DO know is that the outlaws of the present will have been founded by the past outlaws.
- A treasure hunt of some sort.
- North American desert setting... that's the reason I wanted to do a western, because the desert looks brilliant and interesting and it's FREE to shoot in.
- Realism. I'm always big on realism in my flicks... I'm not much for a Star Wars or Zombie western. This needs to take place in the world we live in.
- Spinoffs of classic western scenes, the train scene for example. I would want a modern twist to these.

Some ideas I've been playing with:
- The modern outlaws are a motorcycle club (Like Hell's Angels). This to me is a lot like a gang of horse riding bandits and would make for a very cool "look" to the film.
I favor this idea quite a bit, but hey, you guys are pretty amazing with creativity so I'm open to other "types" of modern outlaws.
- The treasure will have significance to the outlaws other than just monetary value. Something with honor, reputation, or ancestry.
- Of course, a train scene to parallel classic westerns. This time, however we'll see things that exist in the modern world.
- Organized criminals (Street gangs, mafia, cartels etc.) will be other outlaws as antagonists, as well as law enforcement getting involved. There will be a lot of violence.
- Possible connections to the Jessie James gang or other famous outlaws. I like the idea of tying it to actual history, with fictional twists.

Any ideas?

And remember, I'm not looking for hero protagonists in this story, so if you think of a really brutal scene I would LOVE to hear it!

P.S. I might take a while to get back due to work, but I will respond to whatever replies I get. - Thanks

Sounds pretty sweet. My next screenwriting project is also a modern-day Western. Our ideas are different enough from each other that we don't have to worry about the other stealing anything, so I think we can safely share ideas with each other, and help each other out. I just got home from work, and am too tired to give this much thought right now, but I look forward to communicating more with you later.

Cheers!

i think the dual past present storylines would be pretty gnarly if u could pull it off, i thought about doing something like that once but im not going to try for a while so post yours up so i can steal it lol i kid, best of luck to you

Sounds like a great idea, actually.

Careful with trains, though.

I wrote a swell biopic script set in the American west around the 1890's. A few producers said they loved the script and story. Problem was, it had TRAINS and explosions and crowds and multiple locations...

They didn't like trains. Trains and crowds. And explosions. They cost big $$$

Unless you're an extensively produced writer, no way are they gonna risk investing.

Of course, if you're going to shoot it yourself, that's all moot.

Just saying. keep it in mind if you're thinking of trying to sell it.

Cheers!

-Charles

I just suffered through (it wasn't really that bad) "Avalon High" on the Disney Channel; hey, what do you want, I have an eight year old daughter. The parallel concept was similar to what has been discussed here. High School kids are reincarnations of the Knights of the Round Table - and their enemies. So during a scene at a football game the team (the Knights; what else?) morphs into knights in their armor on the field of battle, etc.

@ ALL. Any western buffs out there? Tell me some things you'd like to see reborn in a modern western.

@ CF. Sounds good! I'd love to hear what you have so far for your western bro.

@ Camera Obscara. I've seen it done before so I'd have to come up with a interesting way of transitioning between timelines. I think "frequency" did a phenomenal job of that.

@ Adeimantus. Good point with the train being expensive. This is something I would be doing myself (everything I write is intended to be shot by me) and it will be a while down the road so I'm not being extremely strict on budget as far as creativity constraints. I might have a lot more resources in a few years. Who knows!
And of course, I'd ideally like to find an abandoned train car or something and trick my viewers into seeing movement.

@ Alcove. Well I'll have to check that one out when I'm hanging with my 6-year old nephew :) HaHa (I'm not being sarcastic)

Okay, so besides the monetary issue of producing a train scene, I'm not sure how to meaningfully translate that into modern times. In old Westerns, it was always a train robbery. Is the same thing gonna happen in modern day? I just don't see anybody robbing a train.

I've had similar difficulty in figuring out ways to transpose classic Western moments to my movie. Primarily, I feel like there's got to be a shootout. And I don't mean a big gun battle -- that can happen in any time period. No, I mean you need that moment when the hero stares down the bad guy in the middle of the street, and says, "draw", or whatever. Problem is, that would never happen in modern day, and like you, though my movie is to be an homage to Westerns, I want everything that happens to be realistic in modern times. I feel like this can be accomplished by removing guns from the scene. In "The Matrix" they have the stare-down in the subway system, before Neo finally confronts Agent Smith. It's only a couple of brief shots, but there is a moment that screams Western. For you and me, we could draw this moment out a little longer, and it's all about what we do with the camera.

I'm trying to think of a treasure that fits what you intend. First thing that comes to mind is maybe our protagonist is a direct descendant of a famous Western bandit? So, there's the legend of so-and-so's infamous robbery, in which he gets away with big prize. Shortly after the robbery, he is cornered and killed, but the treasure is nowhere to be found. In modern times, our hero thinks he knows where it is, based on something one of his relatives told him, a clue as to where to find it. So, finding the treasure isn't just monetary, but legacy. And, maybe somehow (I don't know how), by finding the treasure, our hero can prove that his great-grandfather was not the backstabber that infamy has painted him to be, and that it was actually his partner who stabbed him in the back. I dunno, just tossing out random thoughts.

So, for my story, I don't wanna share too much in a completely public forum, but I will say that I'm going for more of a revenge tale. I'm going for sort of a cross between the storylines of "Unforgiven" and "Magnificent Seven". A group of friends, small-time drug-dealers, convince their boss to front them a very large supply of weed, so that they can score a big weekend, selling pot at a local weekend festival. The day before the festival is to begin, a gang of marauders, outsiders from another town, break in and demand the weed be handed over. The small-timers comply, but the outsiders don't want to leave behind any witnesses. So, they murder the dude, then rape his girlfriend, before attempting to murder her, stabbing her numerous times, before leaving her for dead. She survives (and so does her newborn).

Her roommates (and drug-dealing partners) get home to find the aftermath, and rush her to the hospital. Their predicament is now that besides they are in mourning, from losing the boyfriend, and besides the absolute shellshock from the rape/attempted murder, if they don't recover those drugs (or the money that's made selling them), they are in serious trouble with their drug-lord. So, they can't seek the help of the police.

Instead, the roommates seek the help of a local badass. A reformed criminal, the Local Badass is the one-time best-friend of the dude who was murdered. Terrribly saddened, Local Badass refuses to help, initially, saying that they should go to police. But wait, there's more. What they hadn't yet told him is that Local Badass' best-friend was dating Local Badass' little sister (estranged, they haven't spoken in a while). So now, Local Badass has revenge on his mind. Nobody rapes and tries to kill my little sister!

Local Badass can't do it by himself. A la "Magnificent Seven", Local Badass rounds up the old gang, rallies the troops. And with the old gang back together, they seek out the outsiders, who of course have taken the drugs to sell for themselves at the previously mentioned local festival. Big showdown, good guy gets revenge, drugs/money recovered, and along the way, romance developes between Local Badass and one of the roommates (who is caring for Local Badass' infant niece/nephew, while Sister is in hospital).

That's about all I've got, so far, and I'm putting myself on moratorium from thinking about it too much. I think before I develope the story any further, I need to finish watching a good deal of classic Westerns, for inspiration.

Why not make it like a Walker Texas Ranger story? Walker was popular for years on TV. It had morern action with martial arts, Ford pickup truck chases, Indians are the good guys who help the hero, and modern building. That would eliminate the need for sets to make a period western town.

Billy Jack and Walker were both half Indian and half white man and saw both sides in a unique way.

Primarily, I feel like there's got to be a shootout. And I don't mean a big gun battle -- that can happen in any time period. No, I mean you need that moment when the hero stares down the bad guy in the middle of the street, and says, "draw", or whatever. Problem is, that would never happen in modern day, and like you, though my movie is to be an homage to Westerns, I want everything that happens to be realistic in modern times. I feel like this can be accomplished by removing guns from the scene. In "The Matrix" they have the stare-down in the subway system, before Neo finally confronts Agent Smith. It's only a couple of brief shots, but there is a moment that screams Western. For you and me, we could draw this moment out a little longer, and it's all about what we do with the camera.

edited for Top Secret-ness ;)

Last edited:
The problem with doing a bank robbery like in the old west is modern technology with cameras and red cash and telephones and alarms.

You could do a bank robbery if the robbers use elaberate disguises. Just get your permits andd alert the police before the real police arrest your robbers. That can be a tribute too Billy The Kid or Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid.

I love the way these cowboys talk, in Westerns. I'm actually taking notes. My favorite line, so far,

"There are two kinds of people in this world -- those with loaded weapons, and those who dig. You dig."

Last edited:
Okay, so besides the monetary issue of producing a train scene, I'm not sure how to meaningfully translate that into modern times. In old Westerns, it was always a train robbery. Is the same thing gonna happen in modern day? I just don't see anybody robbing a train.

I've had similar difficulty in figuring out ways to transpose classic Western moments to my movie. Primarily, I feel like there's got to be a shootout. And I don't mean a big gun battle -- that can happen in any time period. No, I mean you need that moment when the hero stares down the bad guy in the middle of the street, and says, "draw", or whatever. Problem is, that would never happen in modern day, and like you, though my movie is to be an homage to Westerns, I want everything that happens to be realistic in modern times. I feel like this can be accomplished by removing guns from the scene. In "The Matrix" they have the stare-down in the subway system, before Neo finally confronts Agent Smith. It's only a couple of brief shots, but there is a moment that screams Western. For you and me, we could draw this moment out a little longer, and it's all about what we do with the camera.

I'm trying to think of a treasure that fits what you intend. First thing that comes to mind is maybe our protagonist is a direct descendant of a famous Western bandit? So, there's the legend of so-and-so's infamous robbery, in which he gets away with big prize. Shortly after the robbery, he is cornered and killed, but the treasure is nowhere to be found. In modern times, our hero thinks he knows where it is, based on something one of his relatives told him, a clue as to where to find it. So, finding the treasure isn't just monetary, but legacy. And, maybe somehow (I don't know how), by finding the treasure, our hero can prove that his great-grandfather was not the backstabber that infamy has painted him to be, and that it was actually his partner who stabbed him in the back. I dunno, just tossing out random thoughts.

So, for my story, I don't wanna share too much in a completely public forum, but I will say that I'm going for more of a revenge tale. I'm going for sort of a cross between the storylines of "Unforgiven" and "Magnificent Seven". A group of friends, small-time drug-dealers, convince their boss to front them a very large supply of weed, so that they can score a big weekend, selling pot at a local weekend festival. The day before the festival is to begin, a gang of marauders, outsiders from another town, break in and demand the weed be handed over. The small-timers comply, but the outsiders don't want to leave behind any witnesses. So, they murder the dude, then rape his girlfriend, before attempting to murder her, stabbing her numerous times, before leaving her for dead. She survives (and so does her newborn).

Her roommates (and drug-dealing partners) get home to find the aftermath, and rush her to the hospital. Their predicament is now that besides they are in mourning, from losing the boyfriend, and besides the absolute shellshock from the rape/attempted murder, if they don't recover those drugs (or the money that's made selling them), they are in serious trouble with their drug-lord. So, they can't seek the help of the police.

Instead, the roommates seek the help of a local badass. A reformed criminal, the Local Badass is the one-time best-friend of the dude who was murdered. Terrribly saddened, Local Badass refuses to help, initially, saying that they should go to police. But wait, there's more. What they hadn't yet told him is that Local Badass' best-friend was dating Local Badass' little sister (estranged, they haven't spoken in a while). So now, Local Badass has revenge on his mind. Nobody rapes and tries to kill my little sister!

Local Badass can't do it by himself. A la "Magnificent Seven", Local Badass rounds up the old gang, rallies the troops. And with the old gang back together, they seek out the outsiders, who of course have taken the drugs to sell for themselves at the previously mentioned local festival. Big showdown, good guy gets revenge, drugs/money recovered, and along the way, romance developes between Local Badass and one of the roommates (who is caring for Local Badass' infant niece/nephew, while Sister is in hospital).

That's about all I've got, so far, and I'm putting myself on moratorium from thinking about it too much. I think before I develope the story any further, I need to finish watching a good deal of classic Westerns, for inspiration.

I was thinking the train scene would be more about making a hit on an antagonist or kidnap him. Like the target is only accessible on the train, otherwise they stay very well protected, and the outlaws have to kill this person to progress the storyline in some way. I'm not sure yet but I'll figure it out. lol

As far as the treasure, I like the idea of saving the legacy quite a bit. Like maybe have mixed opinions about the outlaw's ancestor and whether he was a coward or a dark hero, depending on how you interpret the story, and the treasure proves that he was no coward... I'll have to let that one brew in my mind a bit. Thanks for the suggestions.

I really liked where you were going with your story CF. At first I thought you were really going to do something innovative with the girlfriend who survives.
Maybe she should be the protagonist and the local badass just teaches her how to get the revenge herself? I really like the idea of a female lead in a modern western, out to avenge her boyfriend's death. It would make for some great and unique character moments and you wouldn't have to change the other than the perspective. And then we figure out that local badass is helping her because she is his sister, and whala! We have a kickass team of vengance! lol Then instead of the typical love story, it could be a family love story or something? (Not like incest, just the situation forces the two to redevelop their relationship as siblings... in blood.) Just an idea on that.

Also, I loved "the matrix" and the use of the western references. Newspaper for tumbeweed. That movie will always be a classic, just based on the badassness of bullet time.

Modern Myth, have you seen "Inside Man"? The had a pretty good idea for a modern bank robbery, especially with the disguises they used.

I just got a great idea too, what if the modern outlaws had to rob a bank because the building was formerly the ancestor outlaws' hideout and holds the secret to the legacy? So the bank robbery isn't about the money, but the only way to get some old photos or something important to the legacy. Possibly a climax?

swap the "train on lonely tracks" for an armored truck on a deserted hwy. In all the movies with armored trucks the truck is driven off the road, or made to stop etc. .. take the classic western attacking the train while it stays in motion and apply it to the truck on the hwy. Maybe its a specialize 18wheeler that if it goes below 50MPH will incinerate all the cash in the trailer or something.. so to rob it and get the money, it has to stay in motion!

To me westerns are about one or more of the following themes.. you can have other themes in a western setting, but thats not necessarily a western film (again just my opinion)

• application of justice
  • Family
  • Fighting to keep the land (ranch or tribal hunting grounds)
  • Individual versus the collective (reluctant hero made to be the sheriff etc.. )
  • Pioneering, pushing frontiers

So a modern telling of a western them could have.

A small time rancher fighting off the thugs from the big conglomerate trying to make him sale his families land.

A reclusive family trying to "un plug" from society and set up a simple homestead in the "wilderness" is set upon by bandits\motor cycle gang and other trials.

A fence rider in Arizona\Montana (fence riding is a solitary one man job on motorcycle or horse back, and is arguably the last real COWBOY job around) must rise to heroic call, or let a young woman be further hurt.

TI Irwin, I see where you're going with the train. That could work. I'm not sure how it would work with a passenger train, though. Cuz who the heck takes Amtrack? The impression I get, in talking to people, is that taking a passenger train is something you do for fun, so I don't see why this person that they need to track down would be on one.

So, perhaps it's a cargo train. There are a lot of people who travel by hopping on cargo trains. And there's a lot of crime on these things, lots of poor, desperate, and often drugged-up people. Perhaps the person they're tracking down isn't necessarily an antagonist, but has some key to solving the puzzle. And, maybe they're on a serious time-constraint, so they have to track him down ASAP, and can't wait until he/she is stopped in the next station.

I appreciate your suggestion of the female protagonist in my story. In a different thread, Adeimantus suggested a female antagonist, but I think I'd rather see a strong female hero. Actually, I've given serious thought to a number of scenarios:

1. The Local Badass is female.
2. The Local Badass' Right-Hand-(Wo)man is female.
3. ALL of the protagonists are female.

I'm probably leaning towards option 2, but nothing has been ruled out. Well, I gotta run to work. Cheers!

Oh, and thanks for those thoughts, wheat. I'm hoping to incorporate a couple of those themes into my story (justice, and family).

For treasure I'd personally use a MacGuffin. People hate MacGuffin's but they can't stop talking about them. Their value grows infinitely in the viewers mind.

I think the western is more about the lone "hero" than the outlaw. He can be an outlaw, but standing on his own particularly against some bigger force is almost a necessity in westerns(Fist Full of Dollars, High Noon, Django). If he is a part of a larger group I would put him there against his will or better judgement (The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Unforgiven, 3:10 to Yuma).

Back