• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Modern Cienma Learner

I have a book titled high definition cinematography third edition. I got it recently and didn't read it. I want to learn cinematography, I am a software programmer so it is okay I learn software, too. But I am no cameraman and won't want to work with camera.
I know nothing about cinematography, so, I want to know it, and I want it help me in writing screenplay of film. I want to be knowing this well.
I don't have access to other filmography books, as it is hard for me to buy online or access a library. If a software book, I probably can access it. I hope so...
Maybe you say there is an online resource that can help you grasp such concepts and can help you write for a film maker or cinematographer.
I want more advanced things, I don't want wedding films, I mean high quality films which are from Hollywood great films.
Like I like to know how history films are made in view of cinematographers, or how special effects and visual effects are put into work. What concepts I need to know? How should I bring them into my work as a writer?

Thanks!

You want to learn cinematography? But you haven't read the book on cinematography that you currently own? Is that correct?

I'd suggest that you start by reading that book.

Having said that, writers don't need to know about cinematography. You can let the cinematographer / DoP worry about that. Just write whatever you want to write.

You want to learn cinematography? But you haven't read the book on cinematography that you currently own? Is that correct?

I'd suggest that you start by reading that book.

Having said that, writers don't need to know about cinematography. You can let the cinematographer / DoP worry about that. Just write whatever you want to write.

Yes... Correct...

Thanks!

If you want to be a cinematographer, you better learn a whole lot about how to use a camera, and how to manipulate light.

If you want to be a screenwriter, be a screenwriter. :D

I second the manipulation of lights. I learned a lot about cameras, and certain lenses, depth of field, all the technical stuff, but didn't appreciate cinematography as much until I starting working with consistent light sources, as well as using natural lighting and sunlight, reflectors the whole 9. It's an amazing art.

Back