'Mockumentaries' - examples?

I'm interested in exploring the idea of a Mockumentary i.e. a narrative feature in the style of a documentary. I have an idea that mixes a documentary style on a subject with fiction to illustrate the facts

e.g. Starting with documentary facts/interviews etc and intercut with fictional scenes.

Are there any mainstream/notable mockumentaries I should watch? I think 'The Imposter' is the only recent one I can think of.

moc-doc

hello. The calcium kid is a good one. its about a boxing milk man, staring a young Orlando bloom, tiz quite funny. also angry boys is done in a moc-dock style.

Last edited:
"All You Need is Cash" 1978 mocumentary of the fictional band "The Rutles" (spoof of "The Beetles"). Star studded cast written and Directed by Eric Idle and suitably Pythonesque. Well worth watching!

G

A good one in the tradition of Spinal Tap is the faux "Behind The Music" episode featuring the 80's Metal Hair Band parody Steel Panther.

For awhile now I've had the idea to do a mockumentary about a delusional Death Metal band who believe themselves to be world famous rock stars when they are really just nobodies.

80's Metal Hair Band parody Steel Panther.

I love Steel Panther! Ridiculous shows at the Key Club. Didn't know they had a mocumentary out, though. :cool:

Reminds me, The Comic Strip Presents (British comedy group) did a couple of Spinal Tap-ish tv episodes, Bad News and More Bad News. Follows the fictional group Bad News on tour. Must have been mid-80's, for these.

Back