Mixing vintage and modern lenses

Hi there,

I'm currently buying my first set of lenses. I have been looking into vintage lenses, and really like the look (and the price, obviously) - but obviously they have their limitations. I really like the look of the Helios 58mm lenses, and picked one up pretty cheap.

Anyway, I was wondering if I buy one *good*, modern lens, and use it with the Helios + maybe one more vintage (I'd probably buy a modern 28, then somewhere between a 35 and a 45 - though it wouldn't be top on the priority list) - would this look weird by the time I'd edited/graded/etc, or will it come off fine? I've always had an affinity for older cameras and whatnot, so when I realised I could use vintage lenses pretty well for video, I was really pleased, but I don't want to compromise quality for it too much. I would probably start with one or two vintages and a modern lens, then somewhere down the track buy another/better modern lens..

Make sure it's not on the radioactive lens list. :lol:

Yah, vintage lenses can be pretty neat. Many have very unique looks to them, which can be handy to be aware of before shooting - espcially if mix/matching different types & brands.

Nothing wrong with using them at all, though. Shop smart. :)

Wasn't the conclusion of that article that "Even if you spot one of your lenses on the list, you probably won’t need to invest in a Geiger counter." (you'd probably need to eat it to be damaged by it/it's not dangerous unless it's a viewfinder)?

Anyway, what lenses below the $300 price range would people recommend (I realise this is really low)? Or at this price bracket, may it be preferable to go vintage and upgrade later?

at the lens surface, decreasing to almost undetectable levels by the time you’re as few as 3 feet away.

I suspect the majority of people will have an eyeball well within three feet of their camera lens, when using it. Even a 1/10th dose of a chest xray equivalent, at inches away, is gonna do something over time.

Regardless, you can get a good spread of vintage lenses for $300 if you keep looking. :)

Personally, I wouldn't commit to the purchase unless I tested and made sure it did exactly what I wanted.

It's hard to give a general 'yes' or 'no' with this kinda thing. It might work, it depends on the specific lenses you are looking at getting, what camera you're putting them on..

Vintage lenses can look great, but whether or not one specific lens will cut seamlessly with another specific lens is something you'd have to test to gauge for yourself whether you're satisfied with the result.

Unfortunately I live in a relatively isolated part of New Zealand (which is isolated enough as it is ;)), so I can't really go anywhere to test (I read your suggestion as finding some of these lenses physically and testing them). I can potentially go to camera shops and compare what their lenses look like in comparison to anything vintage I have, but their range is fairly limited, and I can't really test them in the field, or wtih grading, etc.

Unfortunately I live in a relatively isolated part of New Zealand (which is isolated enough as it is ;)), so I can't really go anywhere to test (I read your suggestion as finding some of these lenses physically and testing them). I can potentially go to camera shops and compare what their lenses look like in comparison to anything vintage I have, but their range is fairly limited, and I can't really test them in the field, or wtih grading, etc.

I personally really like the look of the SMC Takumars. As far as that Helios you have, thats great! I have an Industar. A lot of those old Russian lenses have a great feel to them. Also, a ton of people like old Nikon lenses. Canon FD is also popular. Its really personal preference. The only lenses I'd tell you to stay away from are Leica's and Zeiss's because they're too expensive and you'd be better served getting a modern lens.

I really like the look of the SMC takumars as well, and a number of other lenses. I like the Nikons too, but I am looking at staying away from them at this point, as otherwise I'll have a set of lenses that focus in opposite directions, and see myself butchering a number of shots/getting frustrated when forgetting which way to focus... Or perhaps it's good to learn to mix them now so I don't get set in my ways?

Either way, is the recommendation that I don't really need one *good* modern lens, this early in the piece?

The only lenses I'd tell you to stay away from are Leica's and Zeiss's because they're too expensive and you'd be better served getting a modern lens.

I'd rather a 1970s Leica or Zeiss lens than a 2013 Canon L series lens.

I don't think you need to stress about getting a 'modern' lens, unless you're looking at doing a lot of photography that you need things like auto focus, auto exposure etc. for. If you're happy with manual, go full vintage and worry about more modern lenses if and when it gets to the point where you want to upgrade.

Ok great, thank you.

As a small follow up (half the reason i started reconsidering 'modern' lenses), if I can get the lumix 14-42 (or it may have been 14-45, can't quite remember) relatively cheap, would that be a good idea, or is it better to have a few primes rather than that zoom? The wide angle would be nice, but I'm not sure how much I'd use it.

I have been watching test videos, but I find them hard to judge seeing there aren't really side by sides, and a lot of these videos come down to the skill of the photographer/film-maker, what they're shooting, when/where they're shooting, etc

Also, if anyone has recommendations for a 28mm, let me know

Last edited:
Sorry to bump.

I know a guy in panasonic who is already getting me a really good price on a GH3. I didn't want to push the boat out, but he's offered to extend his discount to their lenses. I can really only afford/justify to myself one of their lenses. Does anyone use lumix/leica lenses (it's unlikely I'd go leica, but I may consider it)? What would you recommend? (I'll be basing my cheap vintages around whatever focal length i go here)

I was thinking of getting something wide, like the 25mm or less, since vintages don't really come particularly wide. But it may also be nice(/more logical) to have my *best* (maybe it turns out I like my vintage lenses more anyway) lens as something more standard, so it becomes my key and most used lens.... thoughts?

Back