Mitra 3D Mic

Have you guys seen this??? I mean, I'm one of those audio-ignorant people who thinks most things sound essentially the same, and this just blew me away. One of those "job" things is seeming pretty darn lucrative right about now... be sure to pull out your headphones/earbuds to get the full effect.

http://vimeo.com/27071919

We have a Mitra at the Deathworld mansion. It's incredible. Not good for voice, but fantastic for ambient sound recording. Really gives you detailed environmental sound like no other mic.

That's what I was worried about. Do you know of any tests with it on the web that are dialogue-heavy? Most of my short film is dialogue-centric, and I was shocked and amazed by this and want one, but I don't want to buy a $700 microphone that won't do what I need...

We had to pay 1000 for the Mitra with XLR jacks, and it does very badly with dialouge. If you combine it with other mics though you can get amazing sound, and it's well worth it for the difference it makes.

Oof. I don't think I'm quite at that level yet... when you say "combine it with other mics", do you just mean recording audio tracks from multiple microphones to different sources at the same time? (In case you couldn't tell, I'm not exactly an expert about, well, anything.)

They've been using them at sporting events the last couple of years - NFL, MLB, etc.

Very nice, but strictly for ambient sounds. Not a practical investment for indie filmmakers.

Back