Minimum requirements for editing DSLR

This subject has popped up in numerous threads, on many occasion. Broke-folk wanna know how much computing power they need to edit DSLR. Finally, I can report on what is needed as a minimum.

Prior to my recent RAM upgrade, when I edited DSLR footage, it would only play smoothly for a few seconds, then it got choppy -- really choppy. I actually edited my entire feature this way, and surprisingly, I didn't find it all that difficult, since I typically edit dialog first (and audio runs smoothly), and then all cuts are done on a precice frame-by-frame basis. Anyway, the choppiness was nevertheless rather annoying.

All I needed was a little more RAM. With this upgrade, the choppiness is (almost) completely gone. It's still there a tiny bit, but barely at all, and only occasionally. Anyway, here's what I've got running (without using neoscene):

-Premiere CS5
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Athlon dual-core 3.1GB
-inexpensive video card (I don't even know what kind, but it's name-brand, and the bare minimum for Windows 7 64-bit)
-8GB RAM (previously 4GB)

ok..so you are talking playback of 1920x1080 ??

I run Linux with an i5 mobo 4gb RAM w/ a 1gb video card and a dual monitor setup. I get choppiness and some shearing in playback of raw MOV files and edited MOV. I also get some shearing on playback of an HD file played of an MP4 h.264, mostly as a result of dual monitors. Less w/ MP4 h.264 than MOV 1920x1080, but still noticeable. Mebbe I need more RAM and need to play w/ my video settings. it is mostly fine w/ h.264 HD though minor stuff.

Last edited:
ok..so you are talking playback of 1920x1080 ??

Well, yeah, I'm talking about playback, but strictly within my editing program. And in CS5, you can choose to play at a lower resolution (I do so choose).

You're not talking about regular playback, with a media player, are you? I've never had any choppiness issues with that, at any resolution, or any file format.

Do you have dual monitor setup ? I get choppy & shearing w/ a media player & w/ editor. Im using an Nvidia 1 gb vid card 4gb memory Ubuntu 10. something

Last edited:
Single monitor. Only used to be choppy (4GB RAM) during playback within CS5. Never choppy in media player. Now (8GB RAM) only very slightly choppy, almost none at all.

Last edited:
I've read that w/ Ubuntu and dual monitor, you will get some shearing..that is what I get.. but mostly w/ Full HD.. h.264 not so bad. I'm willing to suffer to have dual monitor..that way I have my 28" for playback and my 19" for timeline and tools/FX windows on Cinelerra ( my NLE )

Amen CF its the ram. I have a slower processor (though its an intel quad core) with everything else the same.. editing is fine.. so far..

I say so far because I just took the plunge and upgraded to CS5 last night! I was running CS3 on windows XP 64 bit. Now Im CS5 on Win7 pro 64

Right, I run with cineform, but for testing today I tried a file right from the camera, it worked pretty good. Iv not tried running multiple streams yet, that's where the rubber meats the road!

I contemplated cineform. I opted against it, simply for financial reasons. By the time we finished production of "Antihero", my bank account was WAY overdraft, and I hadn't worked in a month. Oh, and I didn't pay any bills during production, so I had some serious catching-up to do. I wanted to get editing as quickly as possible, so even the approximately $300 to run cineform (cineform would've required a great deal more storage) was not in my immediate budget.

Now that I've got more RAM, I don't really see any need for cineform. Choppiness is gone (almost entirely, anyway).

Must get Neoscene. Must get Neoscene. Must get Neoscene. Yes.

CF, where is the link or something to your movie? Must see. Must see. Must see. Yes.

Oh, thanks man. Within a week or two, I will decide if I'm either going to have a private online screening, or if I'll sell a few DVD's. For now, all you've got is the trailer. It's a rough-cut trailer; the final-version will be done in a week or two. Cheers!

http://www.antihero-movie.com

Back