Minimum crew

Crunching the numbers for a low-budget ($100k) non-SAG period horror film I wrote to be filmed at a buddy’s property down in Belize.

Very simple premise, I think it’s like 9-10 shipwreck survivors on a deserted tropical island. Same costumes the whole time, very simple creature. No sets to speak of – just improvised shelters and stuff. No major stunts. I already own all the period firearms. One scene might require renting a wave tank back in the states.
Any guesses at a minimum crew? Lots of local help available for general labor. If people were willing to double-up, etc.?

We could send the cast home as they get killed off.

I’m guessing the Director could double as DP? An additional operator? A sound person? A couple make-up people and/or SFX people? I would fetch coffee and whatever else was need. Who else would need to be there the whole time?

For the record, my "complaint" about having the budget go from $100k to $250k was followed by a smiley face. :) which generally means it's a joke. I'm not wrapped around the axle about what a story costs to be told properly.

The point of contention with me personally, I think, is the conventional wisdom says one must relocate to LA to produce a major drama.

I see your problem. But you've got three solutions. Either you move to LA, or hire LA filmmakers to move to you, or either your or they commute. Any one of these solutions can be achieved through money :D, which... is the solution to everything.

The difficulty is in the US Pacific Northwest is we do not have the deep talent for TV or film. We don't have people who can do CGI or SFX - those people have headed down to LA as soon as they were able.

However, there is this new wonderful thing called the internet and you can work with people remotely. About half of my audio post jobs are with folks that I have never met in person - at least until the mix, and sometimes not even then.

You do not need to move to Los Angeles. Anyone who says one must relocate
to LA to produce a major drama is a fool.

As a producer you need to step up to the difficulties. I know you know that.
You said, "those people have headed down to LA as soon as they were able".
That leads me to believe that there are people who have not yet moved and
that you know people who started in the Pacific Northwest and moved as soon
as they were able. So you need to find the locals and stay in contact with those
who moved. You completely, 100% understand how it works so I know I'm not
giving you any advice you don't already know. My intent is only to support your
effort.

You can reach out to those CGI and SFX people who headed down to Los
Angeles. I suspect most still have some love and connection to the Pacific
Northwest and either know people still there or would be willing to work on
your project from their new home in Los Angeles. All CGI can be done remotely.
You're shooting on location so the SFX people who once lived in the Pacific
Northwest and moved to Los Angeles can travel to Belize to work on your project.

You have nothing but open options to keep your project at the $100k budget.

I did a quick internet search and found some production studios near you. http://www.yellowpages.com/eugene-or/production-studios Of course, quality could be a big difference. You mentioned TV. Many years ago, a friend from the Boston area had a show in Houston. If he wanted, he could have done the shows from a TV station affiliate in Boston. If there is a TV studio in the area, you possibly could do shows from there. You don't always have to move. You could check with them about resources if they do any live shows.

Back