microphone advice

Hello,

I stupidly rushed into buying a camcorder for no reason other than it was the most expensive. Now that I want to use it for film Iv discovered that its terrible in low light and lacks the XLR input you need for the decent microphones.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions regarding how i might record with quality sound on the Panasonic HDC-HS100.
Equally if anyone else has this camera and has found it to be fantastic then I would love to know why and what I am missing.

Thanks

Last edited:
"Fools rush in..."

You will need a shotgun mic for outdoors, a cardioid condenser mic for indoors and a 1/8" adapter to connect them to the camera.

There have been many discussions on this topic, so do a search. You should also read my blog here on IndieTalk.

If your getting condenser mics, they will need to have batteries, or you will need to provide a "phantom power supply" not a big deal, but you cant just connect a condenser mic to an XLR->1/8" adapter and expect it to work without some power.

If you have access to a sound mixer, it might have phantom power built in... plus you can use the mixer like an "adapter" XLR IN, headphone out to camera, though this might trash your cameras mic preamp.. , you'd be better with a line level out to camera..

Back