• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Micro tutorial 3: magic bullet at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ69M7iP5pw

Some would call it the worst kept secret in the indie film world, but in case some of you newbies don't know about it, here's a plugin for after effects that can give you some colorist effects in post until you get to where you can do the real thing.

I used some of the scenes from the yellowjacket video to show how versatile a single piece of footage can be in the right hands.

nice light hand there nate..
if your starting out with MB, please, please, take it easy, a little goes a long way. Its a good idea to do this kinda half and half before your final render..

Yeah, this plugin gets severely overused on the youtube circut.

I use it for quick grades for ads that I have to do quickly for deadlines, but for film projects it's scene by scene with color finesse at a minimum.

Nate,
There are a handfull of scripts from the "DV REBELS GUIDE" DVD that I STILL use for every shot, plus the "trim compose" script from AE Scripts (or videocopilot.net??)

One of the DVD Reble script creates a BLANK Adjustment layer trimmed to the matching shot (you can select all the clips in an AE sequence and have separate, properly trimmed adjustment layers for each clip in two clicks.. very handy..

Another will let you see one FRAME from every clip in a single composition window so you can do side by side comparisons of many shots at once. The tweak the adjustment layer you crated earlier to "color correct" the different shots.

It looks like the original footage was already high quality. The real challenge would be to take some average DSLR videos like the ones in Indietalk's screening room and make them look cinematic using MB.

Last edited:
Back