Mic for ADR and dubbing: dynamic or condenser?

Hello,

someone can help me to find a really good microphone to dubbing a film?

I intend to use $250 on this task. Got very confused about dynamic x condenser. People told me too look around Heil PR40.

Well, i am totally lost. Thanks for any help!

I am also a big fan of wild tracks. I set up an on set sound booth by hanging some sound blankets. I have sot two shorts recently that needed no ADR because of wild recording.

Best Regards,

Kurt Kroh
NoiseNinja

I'm sorry, Fernando, but all I hear is "I can't, I can't, I can't" instead of "I'll try that!" Do you mean to say that don't have a cable long enough to reach a closet full of clothes and a few blankets? Try it!!!

Dude, i got difficulty to record without this noise. I'm funding a lot of expensive things at the same time. I need to give up some things :(

I mean, if there is no possiblity to erase this noise, ok. I will work for the perfect ambience. But in this link I sent, you can listen the voice is almost clean from the noise. There isn't a way to clean 100%, accepting a little loss in the voice?

That is totally the wrong way to look at this. You DO NOT WANT to record the noise of the computer to start with. Get the mic further away from the computer. Put the mic in another room from the computer via a longer xlr cable if you need to. Do whatever you have to do to isolate the computer from the mic. Where are you reording this? Have you got any treatment in the room? What are you using for a preamp and converters? No point in having a nice mic if the other factors in the chain nullify it.

Of course you can always buy or make something like this:

21fMbksU0UL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

I will make a box like this with dampening foam. I tried to get away from computer but still recording the noise.
Let's see if it works. Where you found this? Better buy one, but didn't find.

rocksure said:
Have you got any treatment in the room? What are you using for a preamp and converters?

No treatment. Preamp from Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface.

Last edited:
How far away? Ten feet? 20 Feet? Did you put the mic in a closet full of clothes with your body between the mic and the computer?

Your computer must be REALLY noisy.

Approximately 8 feet. That's what I can move. The computer is not so noisy, but I need to power up a good boost in the preamp to get the effect on the voice of a character properly.

I don't have a closet full of clothes here, and even if I had, it wouldn't be nothing pratical to the actors. I'm looking for this box with foam, I feel that's a good solution. Let's try. Do you know the technical name of this box?

Thank you :)

Get a 25 foot mic cable.

Get a 25 foot headphone extension cable.

Get a microphone stand.

Put the mic on the stand.

Place the mic & stand in an adjoining room.

Run the headphones the adjoining room.

The whole point is to get the mic as far away as you can from noise sources. Use clothes, blankets, towels, mattresses, pillows, moving pads and anything else that you can think of to dampen noise reflections. Get the talent in close to the mic.

If you want the iso-box:

http://www.amazon.com/Harlan-Hogan-...YP18/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336404179&sr=8-1

You can put this on the mic stand:

http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-MUDGU...5R7Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1336404251&sr=8-4
9999-08941-2T.jpg

Here's plain acoustic foam so you can DIY:

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Homewor...AW/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1336404339&sr=8-39

Last edited:
Sorry but I need to do a stupid question: condensers like this AT4040 have a "correct side"? I made a recording today, and it's sounding strange. But I don't know if the accoustic of the place was bad (and it was), or if I did it in the back side of the microphone. Could it be the reason, or no, speak in the back of a condenser doesn't make any difference?

Back