Mic for ADR and dubbing: dynamic or condenser?

Hello,

someone can help me to find a really good microphone to dubbing a film?

I intend to use $250 on this task. Got very confused about dynamic x condenser. People told me too look around Heil PR40.

Well, i am totally lost. Thanks for any help!

You're supposed to use the same mic as from the original shoot if you are only replacing some of the audio. Rent one.

If you're replacing all audio then I'd go condenser all the way. Maybe get a used ATM 3035. I once compared one with a Neuman TLM 103. Could not tell the difference for vocals.

Don't forget to use a pop filter or two.

Thanks, Blade Jones.
Yes, I'll replace all the audio.

If you recommend AT3035, I suppose you also recommend the AT4040, right?
I said that i'm intending to use $250 because when it comes to Brazil, the price gets 3x higher by tax rates. But i found one AT4040 here for $600 (equivalent) and it is ok for me.

This mic will bring me a professional quality of voices?

Last edited:
Almost all production sound mics are also condensers. Dynamics mics, BTW, are far less sensitive and usually used for very loud sound sources and/or very close work.

Mics have definite personalities and sound, although the differences are subtle and may not be noticed by the untrained ear. Nice speakers and a controlled listening environment can make these differences more noticeable.

Although the AT4040 is a decent mic for the price, IMHO the TLM103 is a lot smoother and the sound is more detailed.

I was quite impressed with the Blue BlueBird; very clean with a pleasant bump in the upper mids, it can be used for Foley and sound FX work as well. A bit above your budget, but definitely worth a look.

And yes, if you are doing partial ADR definitely use the same or similar mic to the one used during production; it will make matching tonal a lot easier.

"Professional" sounding voices come from using professional voices. Yes, the gear helps a little, but, as always, knowledge and technique are more important.

Thanks Alcove.

In fact, this Blue is not above my budget, it is ok - as AT4040. I am looking for Youtube videos with this microphones, trying to feel this personalities as you say. This has been a very hard decision since it started. I changed my mind so many times.

I really liked AT4040 on videos but Youtube maybe is not a good source to listen to mics. BlueBird sounds very good too. It will be hard to choose. Thank you for this help.

(sorry my english, I'm improving it)

Here is a list of a few large diaphram condensor mics to check out. Some more expensive than others:
Audio Technica AT4047. Available in cardiod and multi-pattern versions. Many fans out there.
Audio Technica AT4050. Multi-pattern workhorse mic
Rode NT2A. Multi-pattern and cost effective
Rode K2. Tube mic with lovely warm sound. Multi pattern.
Rode NT1A. Relatively cheap. Sounds quite good but a bit harsh in the highs. A Michael Joly modded version apparently sounds improved in this area.
AKG C414. Many different models. Older B ULS model particularly good. A bit more pricey than some of the others.
Neumann TLM103. Bit more expensive. Seems to be something of a love it or hate it mic round the net. Personally haven't used one, but do love the more expensive U87 mics ( which I have used lots).

Could add to this list, but it's a start.

I'm back to say that I bought the Audio Tecnica 4040 and an interface Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and I am VERY pleased. It really is an amazing microphone. Great sound, great interface too. Zero noises, easy to install, and I'm in love with this mic.

It is really what I expected for my film.

:D

I'm making some tests with the AT4040, and got a question. The microphone is recording the sound of the computer's cooler. But I need the computer working to sync the ADR.

A friend told me to record only the noise of the cooler and apply the noise reduction. Well, didn't understand this, but I tried the noise gate and it works 80%. There is a way to eliminate 100% of this noise?

A small piece of the audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huBH5Ncm-oM&hd=1

Thanks for any tips.

You sound guys, almost as bad as grips with your fancy pants lingo.

ADR is rerecording the dialog to match the original production sound as closely as possible. The ADR is recorded to a DAW while watching the visuals. Dialog wilds are recording lines on-set after the scene has been shot using the production sound gear. Those are two very different things, and that's why we use specific terminology.

I know, I know, but as noted by your correcting me, you knew what I meant. Just busting your chops.

The point being, after several takes of a scene it's pretty easy to get people to deliver dialogue with the exact same timing and phrasing in a designated quiet area. While getting good ADR out of actors who haven't done much of it can be like pulling teeth.

I'm making some tests with the AT4040, and got a question. The microphone is recording the sound of the computer's cooler. But I need the computer working to sync the ADR.

A friend told me to record only the noise of the cooler and apply the noise reduction. Well, didn't understand this, but I tried the noise gate and it works 80%. There is a way to eliminate 100% of this noise?

A small piece of the audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huBH5Ncm-oM&hd=1

Thanks for any tips.

It would be more appropriate to open a new topic for this issue?

Record the audio WITHOUT the fan noise. I mean, come on, the whole point of ADR is recording the dialog without any noise at all, so you don't have to do any noise reduction. SHEESH!!!!!!

Get the mic further away from the computer. You can move the mic into a closet full of clothes, make a small partition out of a mattress and/or blankets... Use your imagination.

Of course you can always buy or make something like this:

21fMbksU0UL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

A proper studio either has a "machine" room for all noisy equipment like computers, or a sound proof rack like this:

IsoBoxStu16M.jpg

Or at the very least get better cooling for your computer (noiseless fans).

It's all about isolating the extraneous noises from the mic; you have to work at it a little bit now or else you create a lot of work for yourself later on - and your audio comes out a lot worse than it should.

Dude, i got difficulty to record without this noise. I'm funding a lot of expensive things at the same time. I need to give up some things :(

I mean, if there is no possiblity to erase this noise, ok. I will work for the perfect ambience. But in this link I sent, you can listen the voice is almost clean from the noise. There isn't a way to clean 100%, accepting a little loss in the voice?

Last edited:
Back