Massive Coverage

So last night I was watching the Star Trek and I've been doing a bit of studying with editing. So I dissected the films scenes and edits and was astounded. The movie being both dramatic/action had a massive amounts of small cuts of close up's of small movements and everything. I mean I felt like it would take forever to get that all with coverage, so I was wondering whether they did all of it in single takes. Even then it seems like it would take much longer than the average coverage shooting. Or maybe the answer is as simple as a second camera. Just wondering if someone could answer this question.

Most movies are shot using one camera. The exception
being huge actions scenes and scenes of something that
cannot be duplicated. Most of "Star Trek" was shot using
one camera. You're right, the get a massave amount of
coverage and it takes a long time to shoot.

Speaking as someone who only has one camera, I can attest! I learned very quickly: Do ALL your shots of a certain angle, regardless where they appear in the movie, at the same time! Save on continuity issues :)

Most movies are shot using one camera. The exception
being huge actions scenes and scenes of something that
cannot be duplicated. Most of "Star Trek" was shot using
one camera. You're right, the get a massave amount of
coverage and it takes a long time to shoot.

Yeah, I was thinking action scenes. I'm surprised that
most movies are usually shot with one camera. I would
have guessed two.

Yeah, I was thinking action scenes. I'm surprised that
most movies are usually shot with one camera. I would
have guessed two.

The more camera = the more lighting/the harder it is to light the scene.

Star trek had about $140mil and probably shot for around 90 days. Most likely ran long days of 14-18 hours as well. They love to give that golden time.

I know Mel Brooks and Milos Forman were fans of doing two camera shots for their 'talking head'/OTS scenes.

I can really see the advantage in comedy, when you want to make sure you don't lose the chemistry or pacing between actors. Or if there is just a lot of improv, you want to get it all.

It did drive their DOPs up the wall, but hey, that was their job and they did it even though it was harder.

Back