Mask Making and Makeup

I'm not really sure where else I could post this, but I'm looking for a good website for buying supplies for special effects makeup and mask making.
I'm looking for pretty basic stuff.
A life size bust, liquid latex, artificial hair and eyes, paints, stamps, etc.
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks.

I'd visited this site before but wasn't sure about it.
Any suggestions on what I should get to start out?
I use Burman. Cinema Secrets now owns Woochie which has a lot
of pre-made appliances. Monster Makers is a great source. I've never
tried the other two suggestions - I have never even heard of Brick
until today - nice resource.

What you need to start out with depends on what you want to do.
Do you have a specific effect you need for a movie or do you want
to build a "kit" to learn "how to"?

I use Burman. Cinema Secrets now owns Woochie which has a lot
of pre-made appliances. Monster Makers is a great source. I've never
tried the other two suggestions - I have never even heard of Brick
until today - nice resource.

What you need to start out with depends on what you want to do.
Do you have a specific effect you need for a movie or do you want
to build a "kit" to learn "how to"?

I don't have anything specific I need to make yet. I'm just wanting to learn to basics.
Special effects makeup. For example, Rob Bottin or Tom Savini style builds.
I'm also a fan of Guillermo del Toro and would like to learn to do a style like his.

Knightly offers good advice.. I buy all of my stuff from BITY. The youtube videos they have posted are great resources.... All of these were made from gel-10 and mold material from BITY.

tiffanyheart.jpg

I got a call from the director the night before this picture was taken telling me that they were changing the schedule and that they would need a heart prop the next morning.... I sculpted a heart real quick and then just laid silicone on top of the sculpt when it got stringy so I could add some texture to it. Once it was cured I just rolled the silicone off the clay and filled the heart with some expanding foam.

zombie.jpg

This was all done on set. Its all gel-10 silicone painted with alcohol based makeup except the chest that is the Saran Wrap and KY trick....

rebecca_2.jpg

This was another out of the kit silicone project. The shot called for her to get her cheek bitten so I mentioned that we maybe able to do something a little more over the top than a bite mark....

process.jpg

This is a my process from sculpt to cast.
Chavant NSP clay for the sculpt
Modeling clay or the mold wall
The detail coat and the mold are the same material, I just added cotton fiber to the resin for the mold halves.
The cast is tin-sil silicone

finalpig.jpg

The final piece painted with silicone/pigments and alcohol based makeup

Buy a small kit of gel-10 silicone and some pigments and watch some of those BITY youtube vids.. That will get you started.

Cool.

I worked for both Rob and Tom. I recommend Burman - they
have everything you need to learn the materials. They may
not be the least expensive but their products are excellent.

I've been out of the makeup efx business for a while now but
this is what the back room of my shop looked like - all Burman
materials.

Shop05.jpg

Shop06.jpg

So, I've been here since march 2005, it's now 2012. I have 5,766 posts at the point of posting this missive. I've know that we have the audience of stupidly talented people here everyday... threads like this always kick me in the side of the head when the talent shows their work and you can't discern the effort from anything you see in the cinema. Even though I know... weird.

Thanks Knightly..... There are a lot of really talented people here. Ive just started working on a project with some of them.

Its hard to keep up with who does what.... Maybe we need a simple list of "the pros" and their specialty to use as a go-to source for projects.....

Back