many questions

hello

I am planning on shooting a B/W short film sooner than later and I have many questions...

1) what is the difference between negative film VS. reversal film? which is perferred? (most will be night shots)

2) some of the shot will take place in places with no outlet. How do you make light portable? (I assume you can)

3) what are some alternat/cheaper recording (but fairly decent) means of sound recording, mic/recorder...

4) any other suggestions/advice/warning for first time director?

just remember that I'm new and I know nothing about nothing,when answering these questions treat me like an idiot and be very detailed... =)

thanks-a-bunch

First time filmmaker who knows nothing?

You're screwed. How did you end up in this situation?

My advice - if the film can wait, then wait. Learn first. Or shoot the thing in video first. Watch it, learn from your mistakes, then switch to film. Because it is precious. It ain't video.

You live near NYC? Go to the Strand bookstore near Union Square Park, just south of Virgin Megastore. Strand has a HUGE section of used books on filmmaking techniques, theory, equiptment. I myself must have bought 30 from them alone.

Negative film cannot be projected. A copy of it must be made first, therefore it is more expensive than reversal. It's good if you intend to transfer immediately to video.

Reversal film can be projected immediately and is therefore cheaper. However the quality is a bit less than negative. (of course the term "quality" is subjective)

Portable lighting? Get a generator.

For night scenes you're gonna want a film with a high ASA/EI. This is the number on the film that indicates its sensitivity to light. Like ASA 500. As opposed to ASA 100 - that's for daylight.

Serioulsy though - you're diving into the deep end head first without swimming lessons. Doesn't sound good.

Your experience may be a bad one if you have no preparation. And you will most likely blame film for being so difficult. When in actuality - it is due to your own lack of patience and discipline.

...my two cents..

Tips:

1) Hire an experienced DP who owns a camera. If you really want to shoot this yourself, he can act as the AC, and set everything up for you, but you can be the one behind the camera. Some DPs will do this, some wont.
2) Since you are shooting at night, use negative, not reversal. It has more exposure latitude.
3) Your DP will know what lighting and film you need.

Good Luck!

Back