• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Making a Shortfilm, but i need scenes.

Hello indietalk :)

Im making this Shortfilm about 3 assasin's.
Its called the assasin's LOL.
I have a few scenes but i need some inspiration for more :)
Please if anybody could give me some scenes, or give me some movies/shortfilms where i could get inspiration :)
For future reply thanks! :)

Need more data. What is the plot/genre/underlying conflict/budget/length/etc. of your proposed film?

They are 3 assasins kind of freelancing assasins. The genre is action. And the police and military is all kind of trying to kill them. So thats why the assasins both have to take care of the jobs, and try not to get killed. Not a big budget, but i already have camera's and guns and stuff. Id like to make it about like 30-40 mins. :)

Figure roughly five hours of pre-production + production + post-production for each screen minute.

5hrs
x 30 to 40 minutes
= 150 to 200hrs total writing to final edit.

Plan on spending an equal amount of time promoting the final product before, during, and after production.
Then consider that you'll likely never make a return for all that time and effort invested, so you better have a sh!t-load of fun!

My 2 øre? Make six to ten 3 to 5min shorts instead of one 30min short.

Define your resources:
- Equipment in your possession
- Locations that have no cost
- Talent pool
- How much you want to spend on each short. (I suggest no more than you'd spend on a vacation, where your only take aways are pictures and memories. You won't even get a T-Shirt unless you wanna pay for that, too.) http://filmmakergear.com/

With these clearly in mind goto your locations and just stand there considering "What can I get three or four guys with guns to do HERE?" and then walk around a little.
Some story sequence ought to come to mind.

Good Luck.

Ray

Figure roughly five hours of pre-production + production + post-production for each screen minute.

5hrs
x 30 to 40 minutes
= 150 to 200hrs total writing to final edit.

Plan on spending an equal amount of time promoting the final product before, during, and after production.
Then consider that you'll likely never make a return for all that time and effort invested, so you better have a sh!t-load of fun!

My 2 øre? Make six to ten 3 to 5min shorts instead of one 30min short.

Define your resources:
- Equipment in your possession
- Locations that have no cost
- Talent pool
- How much you want to spend on each short. (I suggest no more than you'd spend on a vacation, where your only take aways are pictures and memories. You won't even get a T-Shirt unless you wanna pay for that, too.) http://filmmakergear.com/

With these clearly in mind goto your locations and just stand there considering "What can I get three or four guys with guns to do HERE?" and then walk around a little.
Some story sequence ought to come to mind.

Good Luck.

Ray

Cool thanks alot! This realy helped me :) Btw where did you get the øre? Are you danish?

Cool thanks alot! This realy helped me :) Btw where did you get the øre? Are you danish?
You're welcome.

No. Not Danish.
Just resourceful.

"UnarmedProductions
Basic Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_kroner
"One krone is subdivided into 100 øre"

http://www.nouilles.info/keyboard_shortcuts.html
"ø ø ø option+o Alt+0248 lowercase o, slash"
29.gif

Obviously, some of your scenes are going to be the jobs that the assassins do, some will be planning, get away, avoiding the cops, etc. You might want to make one of the assassins an associate of one of the cops (father, son, brother, sister, friend, etc) as that will give you built in tension.

^For a no-budget production, this is probably the most sound advice.

If you ever want to make a real short, you really ought to consider linking up with a writer. I don't mean it horrible, but if you can't figure out any more scenes than "Assassins kill someone," then you're going to have tremendous difficulties with the rest of the script.

^For a no-budget production, this is probably the most sound advice.

If you ever want to make a real short, you really ought to consider linking up with a writer. I don't mean it horrible, but if you can't figure out any more scenes than "Assassins kill someone," then you're going to have tremendous difficulties with the rest of the script.

I already do have scenes for like 5-10 mins :)
And not just Assasins kill someone lol...

Are you going for straight action, thriller, drama, comedy, etc...?

Screen ideas can be easier if you really pin down what kind of feel you want for the movie, at least for me.

For example, comedy: an assassin's car breaks down on the way to a job, cut to the assassin on a bus or subway, people bumping in to him, and he just lets out a defeated sigh.

Also keep in mind that professional killers tend to be the solitary type. Having three of them working together gives you tons of opportunities for drama, comedy and action scenes. Just explore the interplay between the characters. The first thing is to figure out who your characters are and what their individual motivations are. They should each have different backgrounds but have one reason that brings them together.

Dont be afraid of sharing a bit the plot, most plots have already been written already in one way or another. More than two thousand years of scriptwritting probably have generated a similar plot/idea.

A film is not just sequences put together, if you don't have a plot it makes little sense to have a film. Unless, as mentioned by Rayw, you make a webseries.

Why not make a short drama/thriller/action movie about three assassins who are unrelated to each other, but some how end up clashing at the end, when all three are hired to off this one guy. And to really spice it up, create a tragic flaw for each assassin and have that tragic flaw destroy each of them at the end of the movie. So, maybe one of them is too greedy. Another one could have too much vanity in his life or his ego can be too big. Something like that. Have them all fail at the end of it and have the guy who was supposed to die, walk off.

Back