Making A Serial Killer Movie or Slasher interesting?

I'm thinking at some point I'll either do a film about a real life serial killer (I haven't decided who yet, it may be Son of Sam, The Zodiac or Ed Gein) or slasher, one that pays its homages, but not in a parodic way like 'Scream'.
I'm just wondering how people would make them interesting and set them apart from films like that that tend to be very samey and bland.

i feel you should find your baseline story of what you want to do...Then find a movie you like in the genre and study the style, the camera movements, story pattern, development of characters etc follow the cadence write it out, then make your script, storyboard it carefully. Ask questions like how should I shoot this scene to capture interest, build tension, study the music & sound effects, think critically ask why did they do that ? how can I do that w/ my resources ? my available talent ? and do some short takes to make a trailer... if you get a positive response.. go from there. this is not an event, but a process...

Last edited:
That movie was such a disappointment! The original screenplay was good, but the movie itself was anemic. I blame Joel Schumacher. The guy is definitely hit and miss as a director (mostly miss, unfortunately).

Drives me crazy when a hack director makes a crappy movie out of a decent script (see also Enemy of the State and Soldier).

Agreed, but the main point was the killer's identity and appearance.

Hope this does not offend anyone.

An idea is a serial killer that looks like Hitler and in Germany during world war 2 he goes around killing people in front of anyone, because no one will stop 'Hitler'! Soldiers and other people really think it really is Hitler and they don't mention it to him. In fact they are scared of Hitler and really think that he is going around murdering random people.

One day Hitler walks on to the street and sees the serial killer killing a child. Hitler orders the soldiers to arrest the man, but they are confused. The man is finally arrested and locked away.

At the end of the war, Hitler has the serial killer killed and made to look like a suicide and Hitler escapes to another country.

Extending: Perhaps later one of Hitlers scientists creates a portal, which actually turns out to be a time travel portal, and Hitler is sent back in time, so effectively the other Hitler was really Hitler and he had actually killed himself! Perhaps the effect of the time travel device was that somehow it erased Hitlers memory and so the other Hitler(Serial Killer) did not know he really was Hitler from the future.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest Ian Brady and Mira Hindley, but from what I understand that is a very tender topic in England, even today. Plus, killing adults is one thing, but killing children is a whole different ball game. I imagine it would be near impossible to do without just being disturbing and unwatchable. I don't mean actual scenes of murder, just the in depth focus on it.

So instead I will suggest Dennis Nilsen, his story is as sad as it is horrifying. I don't know if there are any movies about him already though.

:)

Too comedic for my taste, I'd do something more serious, like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.
The documentary thing with the Belgian film you linked to (I forgot the name) is interesting. But if it's based on a real life killer that might not be as effective

'man bites dog'- it's all fiction, and it's more about the desensitizing of violence in media, but he is a very interesting killer. it's really more of a black comedy, maybe not like something you were trying to do, but nevertheless an interesting take on the idea of 'serial killer'

As for the first link, i guess in a way its comedic, especially the way that they describe it. But if the filmmaker takes the subject matter seriously, the audience will. (given that s/he is a GOOD filmmaker.)

I was going to suggest Ian Brady and Mira Hindley, but from what I understand that is a very tender topic in England, even today. Plus, killing adults is one thing, but killing children is a whole different ball game. I imagine it would be near impossible to do without just being disturbing and unwatchable. I don't mean actual scenes of murder, just the in depth focus on it.

So instead I will suggest Dennis Nilsen, his story is as sad as it is horrifying. I don't know if there are any movies about him already though.

:)

Care to give me an overview of his story? I like that you said it's sad and horrifying. I mean, I'm not looking for the audience to sympathise with the killer, I'm looking them to not know what to feel about them.

'man bites dog'- it's all fiction, and it's more about the desensitizing of violence in media, but he is a very interesting killer. it's really more of a black comedy, maybe not like something you were trying to do, but nevertheless an interesting take on the idea of 'serial killer'

As for the first link, i guess in a way its comedic, especially the way that they describe it. But if the filmmaker takes the subject matter seriously, the audience will. (given that s/he is a GOOD filmmaker.)

I'd gladly do a black comedy of sorts, but I'd rather not focus on humour, I'd rather have a few sharp, dark and funny lines to add something else to it.
It's not just that it's comedic, it almost seems like it's something that would be done to satirize (if it were a film anyway)

Care to give me an overview of his story?

I can do that.

Dennis Nilsen was born in Scotland on November 23 1945 to a Nowegian soldier and a Scottish woman. His father was a heavy drinker left when Nilsen was still very young. His main father figure became his grandfather. In 1951 Nilsen was taken to see his grandfather's body without any one telling him that his he had passed away. Nilsen said later that this early trauma was a foundation for what was to happen later in life.
In 1953 his mother remarried and had a few more kids, so he was cast aside. He was a loner at school and when he was 16 he joined the army.
There he worked as butcher among other things. He developed feelings for a man who did not reciprocate them, and left the service not long after. He tried being a policeman but found it didn't suit him. He moved to Soho and started working for a job centre where he interviewed people looking for work.
He became immersed in the gay bar scene, but the casual one night stands left him feeling even more alone.
For two years he lived with a flat mate, David Gallichan, but eventually Nilsen asked Gallichan to move out because their temperamental differences were too great.
He became incredibly lonely again.
In 1978 he picked up a young man in a pub and took him home. As he watched the man sleeping he realised he would leave in the morning and couldn't stand it any longer. Nilsen strangled the young man with a neck tie and then drowned him in a bucket of water.
Once the man was dead Nilsen washed his corpses hair and put him back in the bed. He later referred to this as 'a new kind of flatmate'.
Eventually he tried to discard of the body but couldn't bring himself to cut it up, so he hid it under the floorboards for eight months before burning it in a bonfire in his backyard.
His next victim managed to escape him and went to the police, but the police regarded it as a gay lovers quarrel and did not press charges.
A few days later Nilsen lured another man to his home. After strangling him with an electric cord he cut up the body and hid part under the floorboard and flushed parts of it down the toilet.
By 1981 he had killed 10 more times.
That year he moved in the hopes that living in a house which didn't enable such easy disposal of the bodies would effectively stop him from killing again. But he still managed to kill three more men. However the drains in his new building became blocked and another tenant called a plumber. Upon discovery of the body parts Nilsen had been flushing down the toilet they called the police. Nilsen was arrested and immediately confessed in great detail.
He was sentenced to life in prison and is currently held in HMP Full Sutton maximum security prison in the East Riding of Yorkshire, where he is awaiting an appeal on the judicial decision not to allow him to publish his autobiography.

He was an incredibly lonely man. He didn't kill for money like Martha Beck and Raymond Fernandez, or sexual gratification like John Wayne Gacy, or some psychotic vendetta like Aileen Wuornos or David Berkowitz. He just wanted some company.

I too enjoy the psychology of Serial Killers, there's a great book called "The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers" that has hundreds of killers from Jack the Ripper to present. There's plenty of options of interesting storys and people that you could work with, or work off without having to to go crazy with your special effects or kills!

What if you had a character that was accidentally a serial killer? He doesn't mean to kill people, he's just really, really accident-prone, to the detriment of others.

Back