Macs and editing?

Hello,

This is my very first post on this forum. I am an extreme newb to hd digital video and i'm getting a Panasonic AG-DVX 100B tomorrow to start filming local music videos. What I need to know is: What are the minimum specs on an Apple Mac G4 that I need to edit this kind of Hi-Def video? Specifics please. Is there any software that is absolutely necessary or extrenmely helpful, (aside from Final Cut pro.) Any help would be appreciated.

The AG-DVX 100B shoots standard definition. You should be able to go by the system requirements listed for Final Cut Pro as your baseline. You can actually get a way with less than that, but that's a good guide.

I, personally, would not recommend editing HD on a G4 machine. If you can get your hands on an Intel Mac, go with that. I'm just not sure that a G4 has the processing power to handle HD in any usable capacity.

A G5 would be better for HD, but as stated above, the DVX is an SD camera, so you'd have to upconvert the footage to use it as HD. The G4 would edit it, but it would be choppy playback or really dumbed down footage being previewed within the editor.

Oh yeah, and the Intel macs would be spectacular at the job.

G4's can be had for relatively cheaply, a G5 would be better with better handling of real time effects. They've come down in price quite a bit as well...you'll only be able to get them used of course as apple is 2 chip generations and about 10 speed bumps past the G4 and slightly less the G5.

Back