Action
Length:
Feature

Awards Won:
Best Trailer -- Young Cuts Film Festival

http://www.superguncinema.com/mb3k.htm

Score:
4.5/5

Macbeth 3000: This Time It's Personal is not a very good movie. It is full of continuity errors, bad accents, and silly plot holes. It is absurd. It is outlandish. It makes no sense.

But damned if I don't love the hell out of this movie.

The reasons why I love it so much can be found in the Special Feature Documentary Canadian Movie: The Making of "Macbeth 3000". You see, MB3K was made by a group of high school kids that simply wanted to make a movie. But what they ended up doing was making a sort of time capsule. You just get the feeling that no matter what the future holds for the guys of Supergun Cinema, there will be a day when a handful of fifty year old men get together to relive their childhood. The joy that emanates from this movie is what makes it so likable. These guys (and gals) had fun creating this world where a teen can be President and a man can die multiple times. And isn't that what movie making is about at its core -- having fun creating a world where anything can happen?

The plot can best be described as William Shakespeare's "Macbeth" mixed up with a James Bond movie and flavored with political satire. And that's all you need to know about it going in -- it’s a Bard and Bond mashup.

Of course, you might think that a movie made by high school kids is likely to be long on childish humor and short on talent. That'd be where you're wrong. This movie has some of the best shoe-string budget Special Effects (Digital and Practical) you'll ever see. The final battle between Macbeth and Macduff takes place in numerous locales and has explosions, light sabers, guns, a decapitation, some excellent stunt work that could have resulted in some serious injury to these kids, and some truly interesting green screen work. There's also some excellent cinematography and music throughout the film. There's a lot of talent on display -- Director Geoff Meech, Composer and Sound Designer Harmeet Bindra, and the entire VFX and stunt team (Geoff Meech, Matt Snowball, Harmeet Bindra, Mike Venner, Ben Davis, Bill Stepec, Denis Logan) all deserve special mention.

But perhaps Paul Bindra, Executive Producer and Harmeet's father, deserves the most credit. He saw the talent in these kids and, according to Canadian Movie, he wouldn't let them throw it away on a half finished product.

The DVD is worth the price for aspiring filmmakers simply because of Canadian Movie's last twenty minutes: to see the happiness in the faces of these young filmmakers as they take their little home movie in front a packed theater -- its enough to make you want to make a movie.

Last edited:
Oh god, don't even get me started on the "subtitles"...

:lol: sorry, sir, you're a little old to be in our target market... ZING! Heh heh... just kidding of course... I don't want to get into a zinger match with a master of wit!

:bag: I don't get it...

Okay... I see how it works. Just because I still feel like I'm in my 20s (albeit LATE 20s) doesn't mean I am in my 20s.

S'all good...

filmy

Back