• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Mac or PC

Based on what I have heard the Mac is way better for editing film, and I am considering a 13 inch Mac book Pro. But I figured people on this forum would know what there talking about. So let me know. Mac or PC?

Based on what I have heard the Mac is way better for editing film, and I am considering a 13 inch Mac book Pro. But I figured people on this forum would know what there talking about. So let me know. Mac or PC?

This is absolutely untrue. A Mac is not better than a windows based PC. It's 100% preference. All anyone can give you is their own opinion as to what they like better.

At least when addressing the broad-based question as to "what is better mac or pc?". When getting into specifics as to what is used in the industry more, it's actually about 50/50 because a lot of AVID users are on PC and it's still the most dominant editing program in the professional realm, but within a year, Apple's FINAL CUT PRO will overtake it and be the most dominant, and that is a MAC ONLY software.

If you have a specific question or need, as in which is better for RED footage or which can conform back to celluloid film better, or which has a better codec, you can get a more specific and accurate answer, but it will still be other people's OPINIONS, not absolute answers, especially not for your own wants and needs.

My own advice and opinion is this - if you are more of a PC guy, then edit on a PC, if you're already familiar with MAC, then edit on a MAC. That's pretty simple.

sonnyboo is right: it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with. On Windows you have Premiere Pro CS5 and Avid, on the Mac you have Final Cut. All three are great programs and in the right hands, one can make great films using them.

I for one always went with a PC because you get a bit more processing power for your money. However, in more recent times, Macs have gotten cheaper compared to the same setup on the PC side. For example the new iMacs: If you were to build a PC with the same specs you wouldn't be off by more than 200$ or so. You used to pay almost double if you went for a Mac instead of a PC a few years ago.

Funny question..
In another forum a 7 page long argument between mac and pc fanboys caused and in the end, they find no solution, which system is better or not.
I go with a mac, but that doesn´t matter. I also tried both systems, but felt more comfortable with the mac.

I'm surprised that this hasn't got into a mac vs pc forum but yeah the other guys are right it does comes down to whatever you prefer.

I recently just went out and bought a top of the range 27 inch iMac and it is a very powerful machine and I can say I have only had to wait on it once (that was when I was photoshopping on a 2m x 1m 300dpi canvas). Another great thing is that I have the option to dual boot with my iMac and am thinking of doing that and learning Avid Media Composer. If cost is not an issue I say go with Mac, that way you get a powerful Mac machine and Windows machine.

Another thing you may want to consider is docking your laptop and the costs involved. I personally am not a big fan of editing on laptops but once again personal preference I guess.

MILEAGE MAY VARY, as there are myths that Macs never crash and that PC's always do. I have not had a crash on my editing PC in 6-7 years, and the Mac I use with Final Cut Pro crashes every single time I use it. I do not begrudge Macs, nor do I say that PC's are "better", as in I know how to fix a PC and how everything runs. I have no clue what a MAC is doing, so I can['t fix it or know how the OS is doing anything, so I cannot diagnose the problem.

Ignorance of what a computer can and should do are the cause of the misconceptions for both PC and MAC.

It all comes down to preference.

Don't forget Sony Vegas Video, as many people swear by it as an equal editing tool. Similarly, the Grass Valley, formerly Canopus EDIUS is a contender for the few that use it.

There's a saying I like to use whenever the debate over software for editing comes up... "It's the artist, not the brush that counts". I cannot imagine DaVinci and Picasso arguing over whose brush is "better". No one cares what they used to create their art.

There's a saying I like to use whenever the debate over software for editing comes up... "It's the artist, not the brush that counts". I cannot imagine DaVinci and Picasso arguing over whose brush is "better". No one cares what they used to create their art.

I totally agree, but at the same time, people don't pay for finger paintings if you don't have a brush at all. I thought I was just taking really bad pictures until I got a real lens (and of course learned how to use it).

EDIT: But now, if DaVinci painted the Sistine Chapel with his fingers it would probably still have been great.

Now, the true geeks notwithstanding, I've found that I spend more time trouble-shooting and configuring when working on PCs. I just don't want to be bothered. I use a Mac and it is almost completely plug & play; the absence of down-time has paid for the price difference many times over. Of course, my bias does stem a bit from the fact that when I first got into audio on a computer a Mac was your only option 25+ years ago.

I think what the problem truly is is not which platform you use, but actually dedicating a computer to your chosen task. Any platform becomes unstable when loaded with useless crap. The computer in my studio does only DAW and a few very basic video duties; it is not even connected to the 'net.

@Dreadylocks: Equipment doesn't mean a thing if you don't have a good operator...

I recently heard that Chris Lord Algae (who has mixed more hit hard rock records than most mixers) uses one of the most archaic "low quality" software playback systems around today - yet he still makes Green Day and Nickelback albums...

@Dreadylocks: Equipment doesn't mean a thing if you don't have a good operator...

I recently heard that Chris Lord Algae (who has mixed more hit hard rock records than most mixers) uses one of the most archaic "low quality" software playback systems around today - yet he still makes Green Day and Nickelback albums...

I meant more that you need something though. It doesn't have to be good, but you can't record without recording equipment. You're right it doesn't have to be good. It's like with musicians, if you are good enough at the guitar for example, you can make a toy one sound good.

Mac ONLY because as mentioned FCP is taking over, and took over long ago in the low budget indie world. I work on PCs all day, and have a Windows laptop, but about to get a mac just for being able to use the alll the mac formatted hardrives I have with backup footage on them.

Then your favorite character from Avatar is the Chief of Security.

"Let's keep this high and tight, I want to be home for dinner."
"That's good work, people. First round's on me tonight."

BUT back to topic from OP:

I use MAC exclusively for Audio production. PCs are too buggy and slow when it comes to using and editing large-file based Audio which I use (96K and 192K for me only) which I could only imagine would get worse with Video.

Though, most editors I know work on a PC with Avid Media Composer...

Your choice is just preference I guess, like the others have said.

Last edited:
I totally agree, but at the same time, people don't pay for finger paintings if you don't have a brush at all. I thought I was just taking really bad pictures until I got a real lens (and of course learned how to use it).

Editing is a different animal altogether. It isn't in the technology at all in most regards. If it were, the Michael Kahn editing for Spielberg would be the worst editor ever because he's still editing film by hand and not on a computer. Even editing with splicing and tape on a workprint and flatbed editing, he delivered his cut on MUNICH less than 3 weeks after principal photography.

It's still the artist not the brush.

Give James Cameron iMovie and a Sony Handicam, then give some high schooler a Panavision camera and Final Cut Pro, I guarantee you Cameron's movie will be a "better" movie. The tools have less to do with the work than the people using them.

Like I said, people will propagate the myths and the truths... of their own experience and what they have heard. It will not really be very affective for your own needs and wants when picking what to edit or work with. What is best for you is not necessarily the same as anyone else. The only person who can answer "What is better (for me), Mac or PC?" is you.

Back