• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Mac G5, 2004 --- Editing

This is more of a computer tech question than anything really dealing with Editing but:

Ok, so I got a Mac G5 in 2004, which does not have an Intel Processor but a PowerPC. So, basically, I'm screwed as far as updating it to Leopard or anything else decent and there for being able to get a newer version of Avid, FCP, etc. so that I might be able to edit HD video effectively. I was hoping somone out there might have some suggestions as to what my options are? Anyone?

Can you not upgrade to Leopard and FCP6? I have
the last of the PowerPC iMac's (G5) and a PowerBook
G4 both using OS 10.5.8 (Leopard) and FCP6 and
I don't have any problem editing HD video effectively.
The G4 is damn slow sometimes, but I have learned
to live with that.

I too have a PowerPC G5 running FCS2 (FCP6) and just finished editing an HD feature. Now I'm using it for Motion and Color. Bogs down at times with complex effects, but otherwise works just fine.

Would not let me update to FCS3 without an Intel processor, however.

You really run Leopard on a PowerPC? Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, told me that I can't upgrade because of the processor. And if I can do it, then I don't have a problem. As long as I can dump the HD onto it, I don't mind a LITTLE picture degradation (because it will probably still look better than SD), but I'd really like all the other applications to be up to date on my Mac. I can't do that with the old OS I have.

I also have a G5. I upgraded the ram to 6 gigs (overkill). I edit 1080p and 720p on it fine. I have leopard installed. Snow leopard is for intel Macs only. Rendering times take awhile, but oh well. Maxed-out upgrades you could make, if you are interested:

More Ram (12 gigs)
Video card to Nvidia 512mb Quardro Fx 4500 ($999.00) *might as well get an intel Imac

The G5 is not dead yet. You are cut off from FCP 7 and may have to do some shucking and jiving for AVCHD files, but its still a strong system.

Yes, I really run Leopard on a PowerPC - two different
machines; one of them a G4 laptop. I'm thinking the
"EVERYONE" you've spoken to are not Mac users. Or
at least they aren't Mac users still using the PowerPC
processor.

I've had no issue with a degraded picture. As everyone
here has said, some aspects run slow when working
with HD, but "oh well".

I'm at 10.5.8... Leopard runs... SNOW leopard doesn't (10.6). I'm also running FCS1 and Shake on both my desktop (2x2.0Ghz G5 PPC) and my laptop (1.25Ghz PPC G4). Same configuration on both computers. They run like champs... I'm about to upgrade my Harddrive though as 60Gb is too small for video.

Yeah, I think I've been confusing Snow Leopard with just Leopard as Leopard was the last OS usable on a PowerPC processor. I think that should solve my problem. Thanks guys!

Back