• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

LOW PAYMENT

Hi,
As most of you know I am an Indian writer. As many suggested
I approached a Producer here and what do you think he offered .
He suggested a token payment of Rs 101-to me .
I though he was joking but he was dead serious
padma

Hi,
As most of you know I am an Indian writer. As many suggested
I approached a Producer here and what do you think he offered .
He suggested a token payment of Rs 101-to me .
I though he was joking but he was dead serious
padma

First thing first, I would kindly reject this person's offer of SELLING this script to them. First off, it sounds like a scam from the beginning since they did not offer an option to begin with. An option is where the agent or manager has FIRST option to buy the script before anyone else. Usually they will option it for any amount but not as much as they will buy it for. It's probably a good idea to option first because then you can start a relationship with that person before selling it to them. Get an idea of what they can do and see their work ethic in progress. Here is the trick of the trade.......

If an agent/manager CAN move a script then optioning it for six months to a year for peanuts (or for the sake of argument, Rs 101) is not a bad thing.

If this will be this agents/manager's FIRST movie they have moved and will option it for $10,000 for 5 years, you might want to rethink before signing anything.

So here we are, one person who has a good history with moving material into production or you can give it to some rookie who might just use it as a paper weight and brag to his friends that he is making movies. Of course you want to sell and see it go into production so the first person is whom you want to get it to. Sure, $10,000 is a lot of money, but selling a script (the right way) can be far more rewarding and you'll have a good chance of getting something produced.

So Padnar, in your comment you stated that some PRODUCER has offered you $2.00 and credit for selling a script (which has no guarantee of being made) and you find this insulting? I would back you on that because what they are doing is trying to take YOUR work for $2 and they can hold on to it for the rest of their lives because you SOLD it to them. I mean, unless this producer can prove they have moved material is the past and YOU get screen credit for writing it AND everything is documented and signed. I wouldn't give this slick con artist a page for $2.

As for saying you "sold" a script, anyone can say they sold a script and play the same games which someone else had suggested, It's getting it to the screen with a legit production house which will allow you to be heard in the future and to do that you've got to have your name in lights.

Good luck.

EDIT:

So to clearify.......

With an option, I would say yes to taking a low payment at this point of the sale as long as they have a good track record (and maybe even not). Also, don't option it for to long. If the Agent/manager can't move the material with in two years, it's more then likely they will never move it.

For the sale, I would say be careful at this point. Yes, if it's your first sale you will not get as much money and let your agent fight for you (because they will get a % of the cash). But I'm sure there is NO agent out there who will take 10% of $2.

EXTRA INFO: Also note, after rereading I should note that Producers, Actors, Companies, Directors, etc. can also option a script too. But at that point you will need to get an agent to represent you anyway.

Last edited:
I don't think Option is available in Bollywood . Actually I have sold my first script forRs 3000 and the producer payed me promptly and this is my second script.I also dont think that a producer here will agree to an agreement.
padma

I don't think Option is available in Bollywood . Actually I have sold my first script forRs 3000 and the producer payed me promptly and this is my second script.I also dont think that a producer here will agree to an agreement.
padma

Good point, Bollywood is a different then the American film industry. So I guess you have to work with what you have around you.

Good luck and continued success.

Back