• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Low Light Short Film

Hi,
I am shooting a short film that takes place at night, and VERY low light. How can I light the scenes properly so it looks good on my camcorder(Canon HF100)? I don't want it to look HORRIBLE in post. Advicee?

You have to describe the scene and props. Is there a fire? A full moon? Cars? Flashlights? There has to be a light source of some kind for you to imitate and use effectively.

It is in a dark alleyway(no street lights), woods(at night with campfire), street/sidewalk(right beside light pole so this shouldn't be a problem), completely dark bedroom(door cracked with light on in outside room), and early morning(shouldn't be a problem for there will be enough light for an okay lit scene).

Last edited:
street/sidewalk(right beside light pole so this shouldn't be a problem),
For this I would film at night under an actual lamp pole, but have a light set to make sure you get all the details. Then you can use an effect in your editor to take out some of the background/edge stuff if you want it to be a more intimate shot.

Also, how do you make a silhouette? I have 2 characters walking off between autumn trees and I would like for the trees and the people to be a silhouette.
As far as I understand it, if you want a silhouette, you would just need to make sure there is a light shining at the camera behind whatever you want to be silhouetted (people, trees, etc.)

For this I would film at night under an actual lamp pole, but have a light set to make sure you get all the details. Then you can use an effect in your editor to take out some of the background/edge stuff if you want it to be a more intimate shot.

As far as I understand it, if you want a silhouette, you would just need to make sure there is a light shining at the camera behind whatever you want to be silhouetted (people, trees, etc.)

Cool! Thanks for the input. Do you know how I could light it elsewhere in the film?

I'm seriously no expert(faaar from it in fact), but here goes, this is how I would try and tackle it. The only thing I would probably do that I can't ATM, is get a light set.

It is in a dark alleyway(no street lights),
Since you're in a dark alley with supposedly no lights, I can see only two ways. Light it well enough and use color and brightness/contrast to make the audience feel like it's dark. Also, don't be afraid to use certain close angles to give it the claustrophobic sense that someone is trapped or cornered or in an uncertain place, the alley need not be completely dark to get that point across. If you don't allow shots that can orient to audience to the scene, it could be just as dramatic. Ok, the second way I could think to do it would be that you could have the camera angle looking out of the alley and have the people be silhouettes in the street light from the alley's opening. Both of those lighting techniques would be easy to do badly, though, so be careful. Maybe someone on here can give you better advice. I'd probably just try and do it with good angles and cuts with a little tweaking of color and contrast etc in post.

Sorry if that's rambly, but maybe it will give you some inspiration of your own, or you can use it :D

If you want dramatic how about a couple of small headlamps, handheld I use the Surefire Minimus. It Is adjustable. Try to hold it on the Actors and it will move around and be different. Just a cheap suggestion for ypu.

completely dark bedroom(door cracked with light on in outside room)

So if the room is completely dark what do we see? Who/what is in the scene and are they meant to be seen by the light from the cracked door or is the cracked door with light a shot in the scene, with the action taking place in the room but not lit from there? In real life there may be interactions that go on completely in the dark, but remember, when picturing a film that way, that completely in the dark means you may as well just put a shot of blackness and just dialog. That can be employed well(within limits), but is that what you are going for here?

You'd be much better lighting everything, including the areas that are supposed to be completely in shadow, and crushing your shadows down to nothing in post.

Otherwise you're going to end up with a noisy picture, and nobody wants that.

So you're saying that shoot everything in full lit situations, and then turn down all the levels in post?

That won't work. While you can light up the scene brighter than it will ultimately appear on screen, you will have to maintain the ratio between light and shadow that you want to achieve in post. That means if you light up your fill too bright, the highlights will clip. So light as close to your final image as you can. Maintain some detail in your shadows if you can, but pay close attention to your highlights so that they don't go completely white.

Also remember sound! If the screen is dark it will save you, whether it's location sound or ADR and foley. There are Hollywood films where the screen is dark or even black, and they planned it that way. It's not a sign of bad lighting if it's realistic and done right. If important things are happening you will need some light though. A parked car with headlights, a camp fire, etc. Is there action, as in fighting? What happens?

I have a kid in his bedroom peering out of his door. I also have him packing stuff to run away with. I think I found out a way to change the script to where I can have more light. Thanks for all the advice!

:cool: Thanks!

Back