Lost in Genres

Hello, okay this is going to seem like a strange post but any advice will be appreciated. Okay, so I'm still fairly new to filmmaking. I have been making videos for about 3 years and placing them on YouTube, and been doing some music videos, and other filming too. Now,my first problem is I don't feel as though I' good at comedy, or rather..I just want to start into getting into some drama. Now, can a good drama be told in 15 minutes? That's my first question. Next, I'm really starting to understand a difference between a "film" or "movie" as I see it. A film has more artistic work in it (how I see it) and a movie is for pure entertainment. So going along with the idea of doing a drama I want to incorporate some more artistic views in it. Any advice on that? Lastly, for inspiration whether it be comedy or drama, where do you get your inspiration from? I get a lot of ideas, and write in a sentence the main topic of it, yet I feel as though looking back that it's not enough. And unfortunately, I'm not on my inspirational drive as often as I would like. So thanks for any advice, once again, I know this is a pretty strange question.

Here's a link to a youtube video I did last year. Sorry, pretty crappy, and not great quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLJXus-Hh8I

my first problem is I don't feel as though I' good at comedy,

Writing or performing it? I watched the linked video, and thought the material itself had lots of promise, but the delivery wasn't working at all.

can a good drama be told in 15 minutes?

Yes.

A film has more artistic work in it (how I see it) and a movie is for pure entertainment.

Que? :huh:

Fixed your vid, btw. You just need the video ID between the tags:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLJXus-Hh8I

Hey okay thanks for both of the replies. I'm not too much of an actor so yeah....but I certainly will check out out other academy nominated shorts. I definitely want to start getting into some drama. I feel as writing comedy comes hard for me and getting ideas. Drama ideas come to me twice as fast. The only problem I have is shortening them down to 10 or 15 minutes. (Ironically, I took three acting courses in drama but none in comedy)

One thing I really need to learn to do with my short films is hone them down to that fifteen-minute mark. I'm a decent editor with fiction, poetry and the like, but I seem to have the hardest time cutting down film scripts. I'm not sure why.

You'd be amazed what a good storyteller can do with fifteen minutes. There's no question about that.

Back