Lord Of The Rings Play

Hey guys- I work at the Princess of Wales theatre in Toronto, and we just had a press conference today, confirming the rumors I've been hearing for a while now- and it's official:

Lord of the Rings: The musical, is premiering in Toronto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a press kit here, and let me tell you- this is going to be AWESOME!
They are going to stay true to Tolkien's vision, and it's not a "musical", but heavily rooted in music. They hired two composes (one from Norway and one from India for a GREAT soundtrack)
The footage of the prep-work looks absolutley astounding.
go to www.lotr.com and check out what you can. I wish I could post the press DVD, but I guess it'll go up there eventually!! Something for Torontonians to look forward to!

-Logan-

Yes, the NY Times had a short article about that a few days ago. :)

'Lord of the Rings' Musical

Breathe from the diaphragm, Gollum:

"The Lord of the Rings," the doorstopper epic by J. R. R. Tolkien that became a $2.9 billion grossing, nine-hour film trilogy, is being adapted into a single-night musical that is to have its premiere in Toronto next March before moving to the West End in London, a producer of the musical, Kevin Wallace, said yesterday.

The show, with a capitalization of more than $22 million for its Canadian production, has a book and lyrics by Shaun McKenna and Matthew Warchus, and music by A. R. Rahman and Värttinä with Christopher Nightingale. It will be directed by Mr. Warchus, with choreography by Peter Darling, and with set and costume design by Rob Howell. Mr. Wallace said it was relatively easy for the creative team to adapt the epic into a single, three-hour night of theater.
smiley_mono.gif

"If you take out the reflective passages of the books and hone in on the essence of the story, the friendship between Frodo and Sam and the fellowship," he said in a telephone interview, "you can do justice to the three books." The production is opening in Canada first, he said, because the only three theaters in London that could accommodate it are booked.

Toronto has a pretty :cool: theatre scene.

What do you do at the POW?

Last edited:
I'm a front of house Usher. Not bad work for good pay- I get to meet actors, see techniques and plays for free. Most is commercial musical theatre, but you still learn a lot about acting from watching every night. I've met Sir Donald Sindon, Vanessa Redgrave, Vanessa Ollivarez (from American Idol... but she's very nice, she came over to our house for tea one night, lol), Paul McQuillan, Tom Rooney (Day after tomorrow librarian), JAY BRAZEAU (amazing man, does a lot of TV... Stargate SG-1, etc)
So not bad for the work- get to meet professionals and I usually get a chance to ask them questions about thier techniques, etc. It's a good learning experience. Get to wear a polyester tux too!

Any way, LOTR:

The Mirvishes outbid broadway, and as a result delayed the signing of our union contract screwing a lot of people out of sick pay... gah... al worth it though...

I'm so excited. I will get to see Lord of the Rings everynight for free!!! Yeah!
Anyone here- I will usher you into better seats (Producer seats) if I still work there when it comes!!!
(And if there are free spots!!)

I'll post rumors I hear here... lol

Last edited:
Back