Looks like I don't have a firewire port...

I just bought my HV40 and I was all excited, only to realize that I don't have a firewire port...

I searched but couldn't really find an exact answer for my situation.

My computer is a HP Pavillion Elite HPE (HPE 510y)

Help is much appreciated...

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/product/BV537AA%23ABA

This model?

If you look under the Specs tab, it says you should have two free PCI slots. You can buy a FireWirecard for $10 and pop that puppy in there. Problem solved.

Something I've been meaning to ask, myself: That computer has an HDMI jack on the graphic card. The Canon HV40 has an HDMI jack on it, too. Can one import/export via HDMI? (Just a general question for anyone)

This model?

If you look under the Specs tab, it says you should have two free PCI slots. You can buy a FireWirecard for $10 and pop that puppy in there. Problem solved.

Something I've been meaning to ask, myself: That computer has an HDMI jack on the graphic card. The Canon HV40 has an HDMI jack on it, too. Can one import/export via HDMI? (Just a general question for anyone)

It's most likely an HDMI output; you'd need a specialized card to record HDMI in.

This model?

Thanks man, i'll look on amazon for one :]
I always wondered about the HDMI thing too, but according to everything i read prior to buying the camera, firewire is the only way.... which sucks!

but if anyone knows that it is possible, tell us right away :D

It's a desktop; not a sealed laptop or mac. There should be very easy access to the interior.

However, if you are not comfortable playing around with the motherboard inside, ask a friend who knows a bit about these things to help you out.

I am a bit skeptical on opening it up... murphy's law has been biting me on the ass lately

I am a bit uncomfortable, but hey, practice makes perfect!

It's actually not that bad. Installing RAM, hard drives, dvd drives, it's easier than working on a car. A lot easier. The hard thing for me is software. Software gliching can be tough. Basically I only know how to do three things: 1) Restart (never works) 2) Reinstall software (sometimes works) 3) Call my friend Ted (Always works).

I am a bit skeptical on opening it up... murphy's law has been biting me on the ass lately

I am a bit uncomfortable, but hey, practice makes perfect!

It's not bad at all to install, but you can always take it to a computer repair shop and they'll charge you $20-30 dollars to install it. It will take them all of 45 seconds.

If you go the repair shop route, have them throw a second hard drive in while they're at it. Editing will be smoother with less hesitation if your video files ate on an a different drive than your OS and editing software.

It's not bad at all to install, but you can always take it to a computer repair shop and they'll charge you $20-30 dollars to install it. It will take them all of 45 seconds.

If you go the repair shop route, have them throw a second hard drive in while they're at it. Editing will be smoother with less hesitation if your video files ate on an a different drive than your OS and editing software.

yeah, definitely not taking the repair route... but I should get another hard drive!

little update on my problem... on sony vegas, i was playing around and looked on the import video, and it showed an IEEE 1394 device, or something like that, which is a firewire port..

Does vegas always show that? even if there isn't one connected? because I am 99.9% sure there is no firewire port on my sweetheart.

and a little off shoot question, I have these "connector ports" in the front of my PC. The flap opens up and there is a USB, headphone and mic jack, and an AV+S video port... (Red White Yellow wires) I have NO CLUE how to access it on my computer, and even the HP support site and manual have failed to show me how to use these...

I appreciate all the help! :D

yeah, definitely not taking the repair route... but I should get another hard drive!

little update on my problem... on sony vegas, i was playing around and looked on the import video, and it showed an IEEE 1394 device, or something like that, which is a firewire port..

Does vegas always show that? even if there isn't one connected? because I am 99.9% sure there is no firewire port on my sweetheart.

and a little off shoot question, I have these "connector ports" in the front of my PC. The flap opens up and there is a USB, headphone and mic jack, and an AV+S video port... (Red White Yellow wires) I have NO CLUE how to access it on my computer, and even the HP support site and manual have failed to show me how to use these...

I appreciate all the help! :D

Dude, you need to educate yourself first. This isn't an HP helpline. I wish you the best.

No burden at all! As for your A/V, USB and mic/speaker outs, they should be plug and play, but if you have specific things you want to tweak, control panel->audio devices/display options should get you where you want to go.

Dropping in your first PCI card can be kinda scary, but it's super easy and don't worry about your warranty. It's actually harder to screw things up on the hardware side than you might think. I'd recommend popping open the case and learning what all the parts are, even if you have no need to add to it.

And if you don't want to be a burden, feel free to PM me. I'm all about learning and sharing knowledge. We're all in this together!

No burden at all! As for your A/V, USB and mic/speaker outs, they should be plug and play, but if you have specific things you want to tweak, control panel->audio devices/display options should get you where you want to go.

Dropping in your first PCI card can be kinda scary, but it's super easy and don't worry about your warranty. It's actually harder to screw things up on the hardware side than you might think. I'd recommend popping open the case and learning what all the parts are, even if you have no need to add to it.

And if you don't want to be a burden, feel free to PM me. I'm all about learning and sharing knowledge. We're all in this together!

actually, they are all inputs, not outputs. That's why I was trying to figure out how I could access them, but I will probably go to HP for that later.

& Thanks for the hospitality :D

Back