• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

camera Looking for Camera and Lens Recommendations for Professional Guitar Videos

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a camera and a suitable lens for a specific project and I hope you can help me.

My project:
I plan to primarily record professional guitar videos where the guitar fills the entire frame. I want to ensure that the head and legs of the guitar player are not visible. It's particularly important to me that the body and fretboard of the guitar are depicted as sharply as possible.

Technical requirements:
1. Image quality: Since these recordings will also be used in slow motion, I need a camera that can film at 60 fps. Ideally, it should have a resolution of 6K, so I can crop the video later without losing quality when exporting in 4K.
2. Usability: As I will be recording by myself and do not have a cameraman, the camera should be very easy to operate. The autofocus should be reliable and easy to adjust.
3. Budget: I have a total budget of around $4500 - $5500. Used equipment with a warranty is also an option.

Room size:
I am working in a very small room (4 × 2 m). This might be important for the choice of lens.

Additional information:
I already have lighting equipment.

I look forward to your recommendations and tips on which camera and lens would be best suited for my needs!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Dersim62

Take a look at the Z Cam E2-S6. Shoots in 6K with a Super35 sensor, comes with Canon EF mount.

The whole bit about seeing only the guitar and not the head/legs of the player, that’s all going to be in the framing. You may see a little of the knees and chin, and it all depends on the angle at which the guitar is held, but you should be fine.

As for lens, that also kind of depends on how much space you have to work with (for distance from camera to subject). The DZO Pictor series is a good starting point for Super35 coverage. They’re cinema zooms, and they look good.

Of course, there’s one big question here: do you need autofocus? (If yes, disregard the above recommendations.)

Take a look at the Z Cam E2-S6. Shoots in 6K with a Super35 sensor, comes with Canon EF mount.

The whole bit about seeing only the guitar and not the head/legs of the player, that’s all going to be in the framing. You may see a little of the knees and chin, and it all depends on the angle at which the guitar is held, but you should be fine.

As for lens, that also kind of depends on how much space you have to work with (for distance from camera to subject). The DZO Pictor series is a good starting point for Super35 coverage. They’re cinema zooms, and they look good.

Of course, there’s one big question here: do you need autofocus? (If yes, disregard the above recommendations.)
Hi AcousticAl, thank you for your response. Autofocus is very important because I always record the videos by myself to ensure they are properly focused.

Back