Long Lasting DVD-Rs

What are the best DVD-Rs to make a rough cut on that don't wear out after a few uses?

I've had problems with Memorex.

I have Sony in limited supply because they are much more expensive.

Any recommendations?

A few playbacks or writes? You only write once. I use mostly ridata or verbatim. Both are quality, and ridata is pretty inexpensive. Gotta order online usually, but you can find free shipping most of the time so no sweat.

Yeah, Memorex is widely considered to be one of the worst. Their magnetic tape was crap, and it would seem they've maintained those standards into the digital realm. The secret to their success was a brilliant marketing campaign -- they were able to polish their turds to an amazing sheen. :D

As a professional video producer, I did some research a few years ago into which DVD-R brands were rated the best. Back then, Taiyo Yuden received the highest marks for their premium stock (they also produce a lower-priced "standard grade" stock). I've stuck with those over the years and so far have had zero problems.

BTW, you should never encounter problems playing back a disc "too often". Nothing touches the disc except a beam of light, so you should be able to play it back a million times. If your discs are exhibiting issues after multiple plays, those must be some seriously lousy discs! :eek:

There are lots of people who report bad issues with Memorex DVD-R discs. Sony DVD-R discs get way better press. But, there is a big price gap between the 2 brands. I have Sony DVD-Rs in small supply because of the price.

I'm looking for something reliable that can be played over and over.

If I put a Memorex DVD-R in the built-in DVD player in my Toshiba TV set, the disc freezes mid-way after a few uses and I have to eject the DVD. One of my crew guys is running tests on his one system and tells me the Memorex DVD-Rs are only working the first few times.

I'll give him a Sony DVD-R version the next time just as a test and will test a Sony DVD-R on my system having problems with the Memorex DVD-R discs as well. My LG Dual recorder DVD / VHS Tape recorder is more durable with the Memorex DVDs and can play them longer.

You have a TV/DVD player. There's your problem.

Seriously, though. It's the equipment (or the person using the equipment), not the disc. I've never had a disc, of any sort, "wear out", on any system. EVER.

Back