Locations

So, I did two years of short films and skits for my public access show. I'm prepping my first feature-length project with my cast and going to be holding auditions for other roles, starting to feel the pressure, etc. etc., and tomorrow I'm going to start approaching the owners of the locations I want to shoot in for permission to shoot there. Tips and tricks?

Should I bring any sort of release tomorrow if they say yes? I can give them a ballpark timetable of when we're shooting, but until my cast is locked down I can't give them exact dates. I want to get word that I can shoot there in a month and a half or so, but it seems like just walking in and going "Hey, can I shoot here,"...it seems like I'm missing some vital step.

Am I crazy?

Thanks,
Mike

I had to do something like that for the 48hour challenge 2 years ago (before it started, I secured a bunch of locations.. just in case... and it REALLY helped)..

1. Ask for the manager/owner. Make sure they have the authority to let you shoot there.
2, Tell them you're an INDEPENDENT LOCAL artist, who wants to use their location to shoot a scene for a short or whatnot... you don't have to explain the plot or anything... you want to emphasize WHO the audience will be. Essentially, you want to make it seem like local audiences will see your final film, and NOTICE the location... which will raise the business' profile in the area. It makes them look good, because they support local artists, etc, etc.
3. Ask them when the best time for them to shoot is, and give them a ballpark figure for when you want to do it. You want to do it when they are least busy, and yet still open, if you can. If you have to shoot after hours, they might ask for money.
4. Have them sign the general location release forms THEN... that way, when you come back the month later, you'll have the proof. It's still a good idea to call the week-of though, to confirm.

I didn't pay for any locations, because I told them it was a competition that required that we DIDN'T pay for any services, locations, etc... you could probably use that line too. One place wanted to charge $400 for an hour. I told them I wasn't ALLOWED to pay for anything, and they waived the fees.

Those are my tips!

Back