directing Locations

I'm directing/producing my first short film and a potential line producer asked me to list the number of locations/actors/pages etc for my script before giving me her rates.

I have a dumb question: There are four locations in the film but each location has various rooms where we film different scenes. Do these separate rooms count as separate locations even if they are in the same house etc? If not, what do I call them?

To the best of my knowledge, each room in the house is considered a separate location. Once you have completed the scenes to be shot in one room all of the equipment, cast and crew have to be packed up and relocated down the hall to - a new location!!!

Also don't be afraid to ask what they mean. I understand you don't want to "look stupid" but also, a lot of times, there are multiple answers, and sometimes phrases people use differ. There are ways to ask and still look professional. We all ask sometimes. ;)

Get your terminology together from people here and just phrase it professionally.

Also don't be afraid to ask what they mean. I understand you don't want to "look stupid" but also, a lot of times, there are multiple answers, and sometimes phrases people use differ. There are ways to ask and still look professional. We all ask sometimes. ;)

Get your terminology together from people here and just phrase it professionally.
Thank you! Glad I'm not alone out there 🙏

There's no such thing as a stupid question, the stupid thing is not to ask the question in the first place.

If you don't know, you don't know. This is ignorance, not stupidity. I don't know the first thing about brain surgery; this makes me ignorant, not stupid. I'm sure most brain surgeons don't know the first thing about sound for picture. What it comes down to is most people are not smarter than you are, just trained differently.

An amateur learns from his mistakes, a professional learns from the mistakes of others. That's what education is, learning from the mistakes of others. There are quite a few knowledgable, experienced experts on this forum - learn from them, get educated.

On that point, are the rooms referred to by Rivkaleah not sets rather than locations? Presumably the bedroom/kitchen/basement could all be built as sets in studio, but for whatever reason, it's easier to shoot these scenes in an existing house. So the house is a de facto off-site studio (location) and the rooms are individual sets.

Right, if you know the correct terminology you can ask for clarification or just send all the info. Ex:

The screenplay has 5 physical locations, and 133 scene headings. The barber shop only has 2 scene headings, but the hotel has 29 and involves the ballroom and restaurant... (etc.)

If you are talking to a DP they will be concerned about setups as well.

Physical location: The general location; house, field, park, restaurant.
Scene or scene heading (screenplay slug): Involves different locations within the location, or different times of day.
Setup: Each time the camera changes angles and/or the lighting configuration changes to the point of "re-setting up."

You'd be okay with some of that terminology.

Depends on whether you’re planning to film all the scenes in the same house. For example, you might be planning on filming a children’s room, and your perfect house just doesn’t have one, so you’re filming the children’s room scene in a different house. That’s a new location to me.

For me, new location is when you’ve got to move your cast and crew to a completely new place. As in pack up and drive.

I agree with others though, ask. So you say you have four main locations. And one of those locations is a house with different rooms.

You could always send him a breakdown of your four main locations and then a sub list of the locations within the locations.

Back